Projecting 13 breakout FCS-to-Power Four transfers for the 2024 college football season (MINNESOTA QB MAX BROSMER (FROM NEW HAMPSHIRE))

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Chris:

MINNESOTA QB MAX BROSMER (FROM NEW HAMPSHIRE)​

Transfer Rank: No. 118 overall

An All-American a season ago who finished second in the FCS in passing yards with 3,459, Brosmer projects to bring some pop to Minnesota's offense. The Gophers threw for only 1,865 yards as a team last season while completing just 52.6% of their passes. One source who faced Brosmer in 2023 said he was the best QB in the FCS and said he could end up being the best overall passer from this year's portal cycle. That might be a bit of a stretch, but either way he should be a big upgrade over what Minnesota employed a season ago.

"He's very sound mechanically as a quarterback and his release quickness really stands out on film." Brewster said. "All intel came back very positively about leadership skills and ability to assimilate coverage and process reads. If Minnesota helps him with a strong running game and some weapons at receiver, he could be in the top half of quarterbacks in the conference."

Go Gophers!!

I guess the OL boat could capsize and everyone drowns. Otherwise, no.

With our OL and stable of backs, this should be fun and lead to and efficient passing game with big play potential
I agree. I have them slotted for the 11-12 spot in the playoffs. I have fever.

Is there even a question about having a strong running game?
Yeah. Even in the Gophers best years running the ball they still have lacked the big play runs and the overall YPC hasn't been that impressive.

The Gophers will pile up the carries and the yards, but efficiency is always a question especially against good teams.

Yeah. Even in the Gophers best years running the ball they still have lacked the big play runs and the overall YPC hasn't been that impressive.

The Gophers will pile up the carries and the yards, but efficiency is always a question especially against good teams.
Lacked big play runs over the years? You must be watching a different Gophers team than me.

Lacked big play runs over the years? You must be watching a different Gophers team than me.
I'm guessing he's meaning we haven't had a homerun hitter that could pop off an 80 yard TD at any time. Someone who if they get past the initial defense isn't going to get caught from behind.

Mo was amazing but wasn't that type of back. Irving may have been it. Brooks had a bit of that, then injuries. Darius seems to be close to that type...not sure if he has that final gear or not.

the linked article is behind a paywall. But it quotes someone named "Brewster" in the segment on Brosmer. Is that our old friend Clint Brewster - or just some random person named "Brewster" who has no relationship to any former coaches or chili enthusiasts?

FWIW, I was listening to a podcast (can't remember where) and they had some analyst who said Brosmer was very accurate, but threw a lot of short passes and check-downs at New Hampshire. so this analyst was questioning whether Brosmer could throw the intermediate and deep patterns with the same accuracy. basically, his take was that Brosmer was more of a volume passer - threw a lot of short passes to accumulate his yardage.

the linked article is behind a paywall. But it quotes someone named "Brewster" in the segment on Brosmer. Is that our old friend Clint Brewster - or just some random person named "Brewster" who has no relationship to any former coaches or chili enthusiasts?

FWIW, I was listening to a podcast (can't remember where) and they had some analyst who said Brosmer was very accurate, but threw a lot of short passes and check-downs at New Hampshire. so this analyst was questioning whether Brosmer could throw the intermediate and deep patterns with the same accuracy. basically, his take was that Brosmer was more of a volume passer - threw a lot of short passes to accumulate his yardage.
Clint is a 247 Staff writer so that's a pretty safe bet.

His 7.6 yards per pass attempt is on the lower side, yes.

There were a few games last year where a short-pass checkdown completion would have won us the game. Was it Purdue or Illinois where AK flatout missed our TE for a first-down to run out the clock?

I'm totally fine with check-down/short-passes especially on early downs. Would keep the Gophers offense on schedule, something we've struggled to do as of late.

Hey, I am not criticizing Brosmer. my post was more of a reflection on what some 'outside' analysts are saying. and to be sure, anyone with an internet connection can claim to be an analyst and throw out a lot of jargon.

I will take steady any day. completing an 8-yard pass on 3rd-&-7 will win you more games in the long run than hitting one big 30-yard pass a game.

just as long as the offense at least tries to complete some mid-range and longer patterns. I'd like to see a mix - not just dink-and-dunk all day long.

There were a few games last year where a short-pass checkdown completion would have won us the game. Was it Purdue or Illinois where AK flatout missed our TE for a first-down to run out the clock?

I'm totally fine with check-down/short-passes especially on early downs. Would keep the Gophers offense on schedule, something we've struggled to do as of late.
I think Illinois is the game you remember. But I still cringe remembering some of those no touch passes in other games he would fling at a receiver as hard as he could even though the guy was about 10 yards away.

I think Illinois is the game you remember. But I still cringe remembering some of those no touch passes in other games he would fling at a receiver as hard as he could even though the guy was about 10 yards away.
Totally. He tried to throw some fastballs when they were not needed, leading to a lot of drops. Cleaning up this small aspect of our offense could make a world of difference. We'll see.

We need Brosmer, Hetherman, and Ethan Robinson to make the jump from FCS to the Really BIG.

Hetherman and Brosmer were ridiculously successful in FCS.

Top Bottom