Probably wouldn't be possible again against Iowa but how about this

Rog

Reaction score
Back in the 50's when working in Iowa a Iowa fan told me about what happened in the late 30's when Mn played at Iowa.

On game day Saturday when the fans came into the Stadium they saw "Minnesota" spelled on the field in dark green grass. Apparently some one earlier in the week got onto the grass field and with a lawn fertilizer spreader, probably with a high nitrogen fertilizer, spelled Minnesota.

Now I say that is clever and no damage done!!

I love it but I think it'd be tough to get onto the playing surface at Kinnick during the season--- even at night.

I love it but I think it'd be tough to get onto the playing surface at Kinnick during the season--- even at night.

You are absolutely right. All of the Iowa cheerleaders are busy grazing at night.

Rog, I've heard that story, too. However, some Iowa fans that I know (I reside in Iowa, and have for nearly 39 years) told me the burning of Minnesota in the grass was done at the direction of the Iowa head coach, a form of motivation for his team.

Not sure if it's true, but you hear all sorts of hijinks that have occurred over the years and often in the form motivation. Nothing beats a good college rivalry.

Go Gophers!!

And, even if you could get in to pull off the prank, I doubt the high-nitrogen fertilizer has much effect on the synthetic grass they have at Kinnick Stadium.

He lost me at - Back in the 50's a fan told me what happened in the 30's.

Those fences at the gates can be climbed for sure, but Dr. Don has a valid point...

Back in the 50's when working in Iowa a Iowa fan told me about what happened in the late 30's when Mn played at Iowa.

On game day Saturday when the fans came into the Stadium they saw "Minnesota" spelled on the field in dark green grass. Apparently some one earlier in the week got onto the grass field and with a lawn fertilizer spreader, probably with a high nitrogen fertilizer, spelled Minnesota.

Now I say that is clever and no damage done!!

Not sure how well that would work if you did it this year seeing as Kinnick has an artificial FieldTurf field. Looked good when we beat them 31-30 to keep the Heartland for the next several years!

Not sure how well that would work if you did it this year seeing as Kinnick has an artificial FieldTurf field. Looked good when we beat them 31-30 to keep the Heartland for the next several years!

What position do you play?

Then we would run into problems with the cheerleaders that stick to the turf.

Top Bottom