Preventing explosive plays

Yep, Rossi is willing to give up yards in order to keep teams from getting the big explosive plays. Very similar to what Iowa does on D. Keep everything in front of you and force teams to execute to beat you.

I also liked hearing both Rossi and Fleck explain why it is critically important for the D to swarm to the ball. By keeping the play in front of you and swarming to the ball, not only do you prevent big explosive plays, but you allow for more chances to force a turnover by knocking the ball loose and having a teammate right there to recover it.

Yeah, seems to be his calling card. He covers his philosophy in the presser video you posted.

Speaking of no explosive plays, who in your opinion draws the assignment of covering Jones?
Jones isn't a big play guy he is more of volume, lots of targets guy. I honestly haven't paid attention to whether we flip our corners to keep a particular matchup or always play them on the same side regardless of what receiver is lined up over there.

I haven't heard really anyone talk about James Madison. Their first year in FBS and their defense statistically right now is insane. #3 in yards per game and yards per play. #3 in opponents first downs. AND 0.9 YARDS PER RUSH

They beat Middle Tennessee (44-7) who just beat Miami, and @App State who beat Texas A&M.

The rest of the sun belt is lucky they aren't eligible for the conference championship this year.

I haven't heard really anyone talk about James Madison. Their first year in FBS and their defense statistically right now is insane. #3 in yards per game and yards per play. #3 in opponents first downs. AND 0.9 YARDS PER RUSH

They beat Middle Tennessee (44-7) who just beat Miami, and @App State who beat Texas A&M.

The rest of the sun belt is lucky they aren't eligible for the conference championship this year.
The rest of the sun belt is unlucky because they’re going to maybe miss the NY6 payday they’d bring

Top Bottom