Press Release: Gopher Great Bob Stein to Pursue U of M Athletic Director Post

BleedGopher

Reaction score
It looks like Stein issued this press release on behalf of himself:

MINNEAPOLIS, April 8, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Former Gopher football and academic All-American, Robert A. "Bob" Stein, today announced that he will pursue the University of Minnesota Athletics Director position.

"A combination of donors, legislators, Regents, alumni, faculty, coaches and fellow past Gopher athletes have reached out and encouraged me to seek the AD job. I have listened to their thoughts and concerns and have decided to pursue the position. I will submit my credentials to the search committee appointed by President Kaler," said Stein.

Stein, a Minneapolis attorney, led the successful entry of the Minnesota Timberwolves into the NBA and development of Target Center as CEO/President for both, financing over $200 million at the same time. He starred for the Gophers' last Big Ten Football Champions, then played eight years in the NFL. He earned his law degree, graduating in the top 10% of his class, while playing for the Super Bowl winning Kansas City Chiefs. As a sports attorney, he represented NFL, NBA and NHL players for 10 years after his football career.

"I love the University of Minnesota and have been committed to academic and athletic excellence my entire life. I've played on championship teams for great organizations and understand what it takes to compete at that level," said Stein. "A renowned academic and research university like the U of M should consistently compete for Big Ten and National Championships. We don't need to settle for less. We have a great example of a winning tradition and competing at the highest level in our Gopher Women's NCAA Champion Hockey Team. That must be the goal for every sport on campus, and the AD should be a leader and advocate for all sports and all student-athletes," added Stein.

Stein has long ties with the University and its athletics, having been inducted into the Gopher Sports Hall of Fame, serving as president of the letterman's "M" Club and on the National Alumni Association board, and as co-founder of the Gopher football booster organization, the Goal Line Club. As an attorney, Stein has fought for fair payment to NFL players for the unauthorized use of their identities, and for suffering concussions and traumatic brain injury from their NFL years.

"I have a demonstrated record of building a successful sports brand and culture, creating game-day customer experiences that fill seats, creating successful youth and state outreach efforts, raising money and developing top-notch sports executives. And I know Minnesota. My goal is to utilize these skills to support all Gopher student-athletes and teams," said Stein.

"Minnesota has the greatest improvement potential of any Big Ten school and I think I have the experience, credentials and motivation to help make that happen. I am a lifelong Minnesotan, so our State, University and Gopher athletes mean something very special to me," said Stein.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-u-of-m-athletic-director-post-300248771.html

Go Gophers!!

sometimes you can't make it up.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Lol. He burned far too many bridges with the current administration. Good luck Bob.

Man with huge ego releases press release. I don't know much about him except he was awful with the T-Wolves but this couldn't look worse, IMO. If you want to submit your application to the committee, do it. Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.

It looks like Stein issued this press release on behalf of himself:

MINNEAPOLIS, April 8, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Former Gopher football and academic All-American, Robert A. "Bob" Stein, today announced that he will pursue the University of Minnesota Athletics Director position.

"A combination of donors, legislators, Regents, alumni, faculty, coaches and fellow past Gopher athletes have reached out and encouraged me to seek the AD job. I have listened to their thoughts and concerns and have decided to pursue the position. I will submit my credentials to the search committee appointed by President Kaler," said Stein.

Stein, a Minneapolis attorney, led the successful entry of the Minnesota Timberwolves into the NBA and development of Target Center as CEO/President for both, financing over $200 million at the same time. He starred for the Gophers' last Big Ten Football Champions, then played eight years in the NFL. He earned his law degree, graduating in the top 10% of his class, while playing for the Super Bowl winning Kansas City Chiefs. As a sports attorney, he represented NFL, NBA and NHL players for 10 years after his football career.

"I love the University of Minnesota and have been committed to academic and athletic excellence my entire life. I've played on championship teams for great organizations and understand what it takes to compete at that level," said Stein. "A renowned academic and research university like the U of M should consistently compete for Big Ten and National Championships. We don't need to settle for less. We have a great example of a winning tradition and competing at the highest level in our Gopher Women's NCAA Champion Hockey Team. That must be the goal for every sport on campus, and the AD should be a leader and advocate for all sports and all student-athletes," added Stein.

Stein has long ties with the University and its athletics, having been inducted into the Gopher Sports Hall of Fame, serving as president of the letterman's "M" Club and on the National Alumni Association board, and as co-founder of the Gopher football booster organization, the Goal Line Club. As an attorney, Stein has fought for fair payment to NFL players for the unauthorized use of their identities, and for suffering concussions and traumatic brain injury from their NFL years.

"I have a demonstrated record of building a successful sports brand and culture, creating game-day customer experiences that fill seats, creating successful youth and state outreach efforts, raising money and developing top-notch sports executives. And I know Minnesota. My goal is to utilize these skills to support all Gopher student-athletes and teams," said Stein.

"Minnesota has the greatest improvement potential of any Big Ten school and I think I have the experience, credentials and motivation to help make that happen. I am a lifelong Minnesotan, so our State, University and Gopher athletes mean something very special to me," said Stein.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-u-of-m-athletic-director-post-300248771.html

Go Gophers!!

He sounds like he should be running for president of the United States.

per Sid:

• I wrote last month that the University of Minnesota should consider hiring Bob Stein as athletic director. Well, the 68-year-old Minneapolis attorney, who formerly was a Gophers and NFL football player and president of the Timberwolves, announced in a news release Friday that he is pursuing the job. “Minnesota has the greatest improvement potential of any Big Ten school and I think I have the experience, credentials and motivation to help make that happen,” Stein said in the release.

http://www.startribune.com/joe-mauer-looks-to-return-to-form-with-twins/375153691/

Go Gophers!!

Yeah, let's hire a 68-year-old AD. That's long-term thinking.

If he was 20 years younger, I could possibly consider Stein a legitimate candidate. But now - forgetaboutit.

*nibbles on popcorn*

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom