Pre-Snap Penalties

BarnBoy

Reaction score
Seems like our pre-snap problems stem partially from illegal formations. What's going on?

Same formation every penalty? Or boneheadedness all around?

Seems like our pre-snap problems stem partially from illegal formations. What's going on?

A couple things. Get plays in faster so the team has more time to set and QB should be able to check formation. Also get everyone set before sending anyone in motion.

Stop having players that go in motion chop feet until the snap. Have them set again.

It al starts with getting formations called faster.

They were better yesterday and hopefully it continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have had more illegal formation penalties than a college team should since about 2008. Was a common complaint I had when Kill and Brewster was the coach.

Should not be that difficult to lineup correctly. If the kids aren't smart enough to line up correctly, time to recruit and play some different kids.

I hate to say this, but there is just an overall level of sloppiness about this team. You can talk about attitude, focus, concentration, players thinking too much --- but in the end, (IMHO) it comes down to discipline and coaching. Claeys may be a nice guy, but there are times when the head coach cannot and should not be a nice guy. there is a time to pat backs, and there is a time to kick butt.

Yes, the players share responsibility for the problem - but "good" teams don't shoot themselves in the butt the way the Gophs do. IMHO, it's one of the biggest issues I have with the program under Claeys.

Not sure why but Our QB wasn't wearing a play bracelet. Why, I don't know. Always easier and most importantly quicker, to signal in a play number than it is to signal in the actual play. Some of the procedure penalties could/should be blamed on the coaching staff. And I would think our play selection was somlimited because of new QB. Why the glove on the left hand?

Not sure why but Our QB wasn't wearing a play bracelet. Why, I don't know. Always easier and most importantly quicker, to signal in a play number than it is to signal in the actual play. Some of the procedure penalties could/should be blamed on the coaching staff. And I would think our play selection was somlimited because of new QB. <b>Why the glove on the left hand?</b>

Just so we are clear - you are concerning yourself with why CR15 chooses to wear or not wear a glove on his left hand?

I only noticed this because I was looking for a play bracelet after the first procedure penalty. Maybe he had an undeclosed injury on that hand. Otherwise, it made no sense.

I know Bart Miller wants them to be mean nasty aggressive and all that good stuff. Sometimes the ripple effect to all of that is a lack of discipline, doesn't have to be, but to throw an example out out I have been coaching hockey for ten years now. I preach a physical style of play, but in turn my team usually leads the district in penalty minutes and will usually lose our fair play point, but at the end of the day there aren't fair play points in the playoffs and when it comes down to it I don't care if we are wearing our black jerseys or our white jerseys in the district title game :)

I saw several tweets indicating that opposing defenses (specifically Maryland and Iowa) were clapping pre-snap to draw the Gophers OL into procedure penalties. Claeys apparently got pretty heated with officials at one point yesterday for no flag being thrown on this. Perhaps it's time to do away with that clap prior to the snap.

So maybe he wears the glove so his skin doesn't "sting" so much after all the clapping. Fascinating.

Top Bottom