PP: UMN marching band prepares for an unprecedented season

I take it you didn't follow the link I provided earlier then, because it has solutions for basically every potential problem you brought up (images from http://www.unitedsound.org/mask):

View attachment 8934
This prevents the brass players from spraying spit around themselves from their mouthpiece.

View attachment 8935
This bell cover prevents "aerosol spray" from coming out the end of the instrument.

View attachment 8936
A version of this for every woodwind instrument would prevent spit from spreading after coming out of the holes in the instrument.

Like I said earlier for clearing spit from brass instruments, a process where the musician leaves the stands and goes to a designated area alone to clear their spit into a deep sink or garbage can and then disinfect their hands and the outside of their instrument would prevent spread from clearing their spit.

Now you did point out 1 potential problem that isn't explicitly covered, flutes, as they have a gap between their mouth and the mouthpiece. However I believe you could likely modify the first mask shown above in such a way to accommodate that and still allow the instrument to be played.

What about any of that specifically won't work?

You are aware that all of those masks have holes directly in front of the thing they're supposed to be blocking?

A mask with a hole in front of the mouth isn't a mask.

I take it you didn't follow the link I provided earlier then, because it has solutions for basically every potential problem you brought up (images from http://www.unitedsound.org/mask):

View attachment 8934
This prevents the brass players from spraying spit around themselves from their mouthpiece.

View attachment 8935
This bell cover prevents "aerosol spray" from coming out the end of the instrument.

View attachment 8936
A version of this for every woodwind instrument would prevent spit from spreading after coming out of the holes in the instrument.

Like I said earlier for clearing spit from brass instruments, a process where the musician leaves the stands and goes to a designated area alone to clear their spit into a deep sink or garbage can and then disinfect their hands and the outside of their instrument would prevent spread from clearing their spit.

Now you did point out 1 potential problem that isn't explicitly covered, flutes, as they have a gap between their mouth and the mouthpiece. However I believe you could likely modify the first mask shown above in such a way to accommodate that and still allow the instrument to be played.

What about any of that specifically won't work?
Well, the obvious solution there is no flutes.

Joking aside, I played trombone in the UMMB. Those masks may work for private lessons but not for the rigors of a college marching band. Plus, those coverings will get saturated pretty quickly, which may have the opposite effect. Instead of dissipating into the air, the droplets stick around on the covering. Not sure there's a good solution here. Maybe they put a smaller band in the open end plaza, which would at least provide some social distancing and dissipate the droplets. Or maybe they build a bunch of makeshift sound booths in the rehearsal areas and mic the band.

You are aware that all of those masks have holes directly in front of the thing they're supposed to be blocking?

A mask with a hole in front of the mouth isn't a mask.
I would argue it's likely as effective as a mask worn with a beard or an ill-fitting mask, both of which have potential to have droplets come out the side of the mask. It's still much better than no mask is it not?

Well, the obvious solution there is no flutes.

Joking aside, I played trombone in the UMMB. Those masks may work for private lessons but not for the rigors of a college marching band. Plus, those coverings will get saturated pretty quickly, which may have the opposite effect. Instead of dissipating into the air, the droplets stick around on the covering. Not sure there's a good solution here. Maybe they put a smaller band in the open end plaza, which would at least provide some social distancing and dissipate the droplets. Or maybe they build a bunch of makeshift sound booths in the rehearsal areas and mic the band.
I was also in the UMMB and I disagree, however I played Alto Sax so maybe that's part of why my opinion differs.

My kid informed the marching band last week that he is ending his online auditions. With all of the changes, safety measures, protocols, not playing at games, etc., and now the strong indication that there will be no Big Ten football, he has decided to pass this year. I know there will be some shell of marching band this year, and there would still be the camaraderie, but he's an incoming freshman and will have enough other stuff to worry about, especially in this weird year. "Maybe next year", he says.
I hope to see him marching up and down the TCF field someday.

My kid informed the marching band last week that he is ending his online auditions. With all of the changes, safety measures, protocols, not playing at games, etc., and now the strong indication that there will be no Big Ten football, he has decided to pass this year. I know there will be some shell of marching band this year, and there would still be the camaraderie, but he's an incoming freshman and will have enough other stuff to worry about, especially in this weird year. "Maybe next year", he says.
I hope to see him marching up and down the TCF field someday.
Huge bummer. UMMB is a great experience and provides an instant large network of friends while attending the U...among other benefits.

Huge bummer. UMMB is a great experience and provides an instant large network of friends while attending the U...among other benefits.
Yup, we talked about that, especially the friend network. I hope he tries out next year.

Sorry to hear that Fred. It's such a weird year. I hope he gives it a try next year.

My kid informed the marching band last week that he is ending his online auditions.
That’s too bad. What does he play that he was still auditioning at this late date? Is that a drum line thing?

Yup. Drumline.
My daughter will be a rookie trumpet. They just received an email from Betsy McCann that marching band is still happening. With an obviously much modified mission.

My daughter will be a rookie trumpet. They just received an email from Betsy McCann that marching band is still happening. With an obviously much modified mission.
Congratulations, I am sure she will have a good time!
I was hoping my son would have continued on; but knowing him, I can totally understand his decision. I think he was okay with the modified mission, but after weighing things out he decided now is not the time for him. Still hoping he tries out again next year.

Congratulations, I am sure she will have a good time!
I was hoping my son would have continued on; but knowing him, I can totally understand his decision. I think he was okay with the modified mission, but after weighing things out he decided now is not the time for him. Still hoping he tries out again next year.
Definitely nudge him to try out again. I met my wife in the marching band, my sister-in-law was in the band, my father-in-law was in the band in the 50's, some of my best friends to this day were people I met in band. To say that being a UMMB member changed my life is not an overstatement.

Update on the marching band from KARE11. Nice human interest story for interested humans.

That was cool story. I hope all B1G marching bands will be allowed to perform this fall in some capacity.

That was cool story. I hope all B1G marching bands will be allowed to perform this fall in some capacity.
MSU cancelled their fall semester class last I heard unfortunately. I'm sure every band is facing the same problems.

I did notice that the gigantic Iowa State Band, and the large spirit squad were all standing for the whole game in the stands opposite the TV cameras in game #1. I live for being on the North/ sunny side, but I willing give up that space the UMMB for this year.

Iowa State did lose that game, but it created a great TV effect, so I hope we do the same all year.

Top Bottom