PP: Gophers football program has a top-15 class, but will it last?

They have placed between 38th to 49th in the national recruiting ranking over the last six seasons. See thread #22.

If the Gophers receive those two or three commitments they are after between now and the national signing day, they will reach a new milestone in the PJ Fleck Era.

PP: Gophers football program has a top-15 class, but will it last?

Yes, now quit using Golden Gopher football as your muck rake.

You think it will be in the bottom half of PJs classes?
It's a range. Closer to 40 than 50. I tend to look at the average more than the class ranking. I think he a good recruiter and any class below 50 works for me.

It's a range. Closer to 40 than 50. I tend to look at the average more than the class ranking. I think he a good recruiter and any class below 50 works for me.
Are you just basing that off average stars? I think we will be 35-ish when all is said and done.

Are you just basing that off average stars? I think we will be 35-ish when all is said and done.
247 has a column for overall Points and Average. I tend to look at the Average column. The number of commits can skew the Points total a bit, that's why Gophs are as high as they are right now. There's a lot of schools who normally end up in the top 35 who are currently below the Gophs, mainly because of their current lower number of commitments. There's a lot of time left to recruit and fill those classes. I will be happily wrong if Fleck has a class ranked higher than 40.

Yeah. Really the difference between about 20-40 is 2-3 kids working out or not working out.
I like that we fill classes early. Makes me think we are getting guys we identified that we wanted as opposed to taking who was left. I have no data to back up that that is better but it feels better to me.

I know the Gophers aren't going to stick in the Top 10 as other classes fill up, but I think it still says a lot that the Gophers have the most commitments in FBS in mid-June.

Most of the other schools with a lot of commitments in June are prestige, first-choice programs that players grow up dreaming of.

There's clearly something working with what Fleck and his staff are building and selling.

It seems like there's been a snowball effect from a class that is getting to know and like each other, similar to that "Empire" class which formed the base of the 2019 team.
What they are selling is team-disciplined football, and they adapt to the talent that they have.

They have developed quality players in their depth chart. We will see a lot of portal transfers because that is how competitive and meritorious the Gophers as a team have become. Every position is being out-recruited. Not everyone who wants to be a starter can start.

All is not lost for the players who decide to transfer. They leave the Gophers with skills that will serve them well in their next team and in life.

I became really sold on the Gophers' system when they marched into Memorial Stadium and stunned Nebraska 24-17 thirty-three players down due to Covid and injuries. Rashod Bateman opted out of playing.

Top Bottom