Powerful column: Counting their blessings: Tyrone and April Carter handle adversity

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

An ATV accident in 2004 left April paralyzed from the chest down. She flew off the machine while making a slow turn and crushed the 7th thoracic (T7) vertebra in the middle of her back. She was 25 and had been married to Tyrone for less than a month.

Confined to a wheelchair for the past 10 years, April refuses to accept her disability as a deterrent. She’s grateful that she has full use of her arms. She drives a specialized minivan with hand controls and goes fishing at every opportunity. She’s taken cruises to Costa Rica and Turks and Caicos and visited other countries on vacation.

Best of all, she and Tyrone had two children — Tyra (7 years old) and Tyree (4) — after her accident, both delivered by Caesarean section.

“I’m very faithful,” she said. “I believe things happen for a reason. I just never looked at it in a bad way.”

The family relocated from Florida to the Twin Cities a year ago so that April can be near her family. She grew up in Minneapolis and graduated from North High School. Tyrone considers Minneapolis his adoptive home after starring for the Gophers and then being drafted by the Vikings in 2000.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/263749791.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom