Updated through the Belk Bowl:

SEC: 4-1
PAC: 2-0
B1G: 2-1
ND: 1-0
ACC: 1-5
BXII: 0-3

After 10 bowls. 8 left to play.
ACC's only win is against the BigXII; B1G's only loss is NE (with interim coach).

Illinois not a good loss tho

Not only was Nebraska's loss with an interim coach but you can pretty much also say it was an away game with USC playing in San Diego.

"When did Illinois leave the B1G?"

They didn't but they did not play a team from a power 5 conference either.

Not only was Nebraska's loss with an interim coach but you can pretty much also say it was an away game with USC playing in San Diego.

This could be said of any of the games the SEC plays against us as well. They are so good in bowl games because the games are played in their backyard.

When did LA Tech join a Power 5 conference?

I think there might be some confusion here. Although the B1G is 2-2, I believe Goldmember is showing only those results where a 5 conference plays another 5.

I think there might be some confusion here. Although the B1G is 2-2, I believe Goldmember is showing only those results where a 5 conference plays another 5.

Yes, the thread title could be a little more clear.

My mistake. Wasn't looking at the title when looking at the records. But if the point is about how the B1G is doing, you can't really cherry pick games to compare.
I think the B1G has outperformed expectations so far. Let's hope that continues. The narrative that the B1G is weak and other conferences are stronger is wrong. The B1G can compete with any conference, especially considering some bowl games are practically home games for B1G opponents.

I really hope we take at least 2 of the SEC games. Getting swept by the SEC would be miserable.

My mistake. Wasn't looking at the title when looking at the records. But if the point is about how the B1G is doing, you can't really cherry pick games to compare.
I think the B1G has outperformed expectations so far. Let's hope that continues. The narrative that the B1G is weak and other conferences are stronger is wrong. The B1G can compete with any conference, especially considering some bowl games are practically home games for B1G opponents.

Not cherry-picking. Simply using the same standard (vs. Power 5) that was widely-used in the first two weeks of the season when So many (in the media, on this board, on other msg boards) were declaring the B1G sucked and would never play in a playoff.

Not cherry-picking. Simply using the same standard (vs. Power 5) that was widely-used in the first two weeks of the season when So many (in the media, on this board, on other msg boards) were declaring the B1G sucked and would never play in a playoff.

Hard to look worse than the Big 12 right now......

SEC: 3-0
PAC: 2-0
B1G: 2-1
ACC: 1-4
BXII: 0-3

8 played, 10 left to play.

Yes, looking bad for the Big XII indeed.

I really hope we take at least 2 of the SEC games. Getting swept by the SEC would be miserable.

At the very least, I think it is important that the Big Ten goes at least 2-2 on New Year's Day with one of those wins coming from Ohio St. or Michigan St.

At the very least, I think it is important that the Big Ten goes at least 2-2 on New Year's Day with one of those wins coming from Ohio St. or Michigan St.

How awesome would it be if the gophers beat missouri and osu beat alabama? The only thing that would make me happier is winning the lottery. I may just buy a lottery ticket if that happens now that I think about it.

Still can't cheer for the badgers. Hoping they get beat 69-0 and the program spontaneously combusts into ash and rubble.

Still can't cheer for the badgers. Hoping they get beat 69-0 and the program spontaneously combusts into ash and rubble.

I agree with you, but I will admit this is one year when I would be less annoyed with a Badger win than I ordinarily would be. I've said this elsewhere, but it would look bad if a 7-1 B1G division champ lost to a middle of the pack SEC team. Conversely, if the Gophers could knock off a 7-1 SEC division champ, that would look really good. Either way, I'm cheering for a Wisconsin loss, but other than that I want to see the B1G do well in the bowl games, especially against the Power 5. Within the power 5, we need our top four teams to do well. If OSU, MSU, Wisconsin, and Minnesota all lose, it wouldn't matter if we won the other 6, the B1G still looks bad. We need some headline wins against Baylor or Alabama or Missouri.

Screw the vadgers. All the B1G needs to look good is an OSU win and a Gopher win. Mich St winning would be icing on the cake. Wisnconsin losing 77-0 with the others winning = a big win for the B1G.

Illinois not a good loss tho

Looking at conference affiliation, that makes sense, but depends on the definition. It was not an upset. Louisiana Tech was favored going into it, and then they played it and we found out why.

Like Goldmember said, many people and all the sports books had/have the Big Ten losing every bowl game.

Would like to see the Big Ten win every game left, but if Wisconsin loses? Will be real happy too!

ajax.php

Looking at conference affiliation, that makes sense, but depends on the definition. It was not an upset. Louisiana Tech was favored going into it, and then they played it and we found out why.

Like Goldmember said, many people and all the sports books had/have the Big Ten losing every bowl game.

Would like to see the Big Ten win every game left, but if Wisconsin loses? Will be real happy too!

ajax.php

Depends on how you define "every bowl game". We were dogs in each individual game, but no one would have given you even money on the Big Ten losing all ten of the games. At the end of the day though, if our hypothesis is that the Big Ten is underrated, then we should be out performing those predictions. If we truly deserve to be underdogs in all of these games, then we really are as bad as people say.

I would rather WI lose and the B1G get zero national respect. I don't care what others think of the conference. I do care if the Badgers win.

Depends on how you define "every bowl game". We were dogs in each individual game, but no one would have given you even money on the Big Ten losing all ten of the games. At the end of the day though, if our hypothesis is that the Big Ten is underrated, then we should be out performing those predictions. If we truly deserve to be underdogs in all of these games, then we really are as bad as people say.

All true, but still think that La Tech was a better team than Illinois going into that game. Good game too, even with one of the worst missed pass interference calls of the season.

Underdogs in all 10 games seems out of line but the depressing part is looking at the games individually, it didn't seem so outlandish.

The Gophers, Spartans, Buckeyes and maybe another team or two need to win their games.

but still think that La Tech was a better team than Illinois going into that game. Good game too, even with one of the worst missed pass interference calls of the season.

I hate the tie-in. It's the league's worst. Basically a B1G team sends a barely bowl eligible team to play in an abandoned stadium in Texas against a CUSA team of CUSA's choosing.

For 1.2M the B1G should just setup another bowl game in an NFC North venue. Maybe rotate MIN, GB, CHI to keep it fresh.

OP, please update thread title to power five plus ND so that we can include another SEC loss.

Or just include ND game in ACC totals.

Well, it was bound to happen. The Big 10 lays a clunker. Thanks Maryland. Have we mentioned that we don't like you?

Well, it was bound to happen. The Big 10 lays a clunker. Thanks Maryland. Have we mentioned that we don't like you?

No kidding, I guess the only consolation is that many people think Maryland is still in the ACC

I don't think the Maryland loss is surprising anyone. Wasn't Stanford favored by over 14? This was just a crappy bowl match up to begin with.

I would rather WI lose and the B1G get zero national respect. I don't care what others think of the conference. I do care if the Badgers win.

As bad as I want the B1G to perform well, they are playing against my adopted team, and I think if Wisconsin loses it will only help our recruiting around here. Of course that will only matter if we WIN our bowl game.

I don't think the Maryland loss is surprising anyone. Wasn't Stanford favored by over 14? This was just a crappy bowl match up to begin with.

I'm upset that a 4-4 Big 10 team would be a 14 point dog to a 5-4 Pac 12 team. Even more upset that the 4-4 Big 10 team made that spread look too small.

Top Bottom