Power 5 Conference Offers

pharmacygopher

114 Row 11
Reaction score
Last year I summarized the BCS offers and wanted to do so again this year. A few observations (from an untrained eye mind you) - While overall recruiting and offers have improved since Jerry’s first classes there seems to be less star-power in terms of offers from other ‘high end’ Power 5 schools this year and more kids without a Power 5 offer. Having said that, our OL has some serious offers – it’s not often we beat our Oregon or Texas for kids.

Maryland, Illinois, Indiana, and Wake Forest must dislike us – I believe we beat them in some combination for 8 recruits.
Last year we hit wisconsin fairly hard. Zero this year from wisconsin. We did recruit other Midwest states, specifically Illinois (5 recruits) and Michigan (3 recruits) hard. Again pulled a fair amount of kids out of Texas and the Southeast (7 recruits)

Similar to last year, some of the lighter recruited kids have Ivy and service academy offers. Shows the premium the staff puts on a well-rounded student athlete (education, discipline, etc.). Keep that foundation steady!

A few of our preferred walk-ons had scholarship offers to other institutions or walk-on opportunities at other Power 5 school. It’s a pleasant surprise and helps build quality depth to get preferred walk-ons that have other opportunities to walk-on at the U.

Let me preface this by saying I know not all the offers were committable but it’s a composite from the big 4 recruiting sites – don’t shoot the messenger.

Quinn Oseland OL (IL) Oregon, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Arizona State, Louisville, N.C. State, Oklahoma State, Cal, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Utah, Washington State, Syracuse

Tyler Moore OL (TX) Texas, Illinois, BYU, Kansas, Texas Tech, Oregon State, Colorado

Ted Stieber OL (OH) Maryland, Illinois, Rutgers, Syracuse, Air Force

Mose Hall DL (AL) Maryland, Illinois, Wake Forest

Dior Johnson DB (MI) Illinois, Indiana, Wake Forest

Charlie Rogers DB (IA CC) Illinois, Indiana, Iowa State (original commit)

Ray Buford Jr. DB/Ath (MI) Boston College, Wake Forest

Colton Beebe DL/FB/LB (KS) Kansas, Army, Air Force

Shannon Brooks RB (GA) Georgia Tech

Bronson Dovich OL (MN) Rutgers

Hunter Register WR (LA) Indiana

Antonio Shenault DB (IL) Iowa State

Kiante Hardin DB/ATH (MO) Army

James Johannesson RB/FB (ND) Ivy - Yale

Demry Croft QB (IL) (reported Penn State interest)

Rashad Still WR (TX)

Bryce Witham TE (MI)

Jonathan Femi-Cole RB (ON)

Alonzo Craighton DB (LA)

Nick Connelly OT (MN)

Jaylen Waters LB (TX)

Julian Huff LB (IL)

Jacob Huff DB (IL)

Winston DeLattiboudere DL (MD)

Preferred Walk-ons

Jacob Herbers K/P (Battle Creek, MI) Yale, Buffalo

Charlie Greif QB (Milwaukee, WI) Butler

Blake Cashman DB (Eden Prairie) Iowa State (WO), NDSU (WO)

Joey Mydra LB (Hopkins) Northern Illinois (WO) South Dakota St (WO)

Trey Hansen LS/ATH (Cedar Falls, IA) Texas Tech (WO)

Matthew Morse WR/ATH (Apple Valley)

Noah Kuehn OL/ATH (Eagan)

Adam Mayer ATH (Concord, CA)

For reference, this is what I posted last year...

Jeff Jones RB (MN): Missouri, Michigan State, wisconsin, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Iowa State, Illinois, Kentucky, Syracuse

Gaelin Elmore TE/ATH (WI): Michigan State, Nebraska, wisconsin, Vanderbilt, Indiana, Iowa State

Connor Mayes OL (TX): Oklahoma, Texas A&M, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor, Kansas State, Duke, UConn, Kansas, Ole Miss, Washington State, Colorado, Colorado State

Craig James CB (IL): Missouri, Iowa, Indiana, Kansas, Iowa State, Syracuse

Melvin Holland Jr WR (VA): wisconsin, Boston College, Wake Forest, Rutgers, Navy

Dimonic McKinzy QB/ATH (KS): Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas

Jerry Gibson TE/ATH (AL): South Carolina, Iowa

Isaiah Gentry WR (OH): Rutgers

Andrew Stelter DL (MN): Duke, Iowa State, Army, Ivy – Harvard, Yale, Princeton

Julien Kafo DE (CN): Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, Purdue, Pitt, UConn

Connor Krizancic WR/ATH/S/QB? (OH): Cincinnati

Cody Poock LB (IA CC): TCU, Illinois

Everett Williams LB (TX): Navy

Luke Rasmussen OL (WI): Air Force, Ivy – Harvard, Yale

Branden Lingen TE/OL (MN): Air Force

Jared Weyler OL (OH): Air Force

Steven Richardson DT (IL)

Gary Moore DT (AL)Rodney Smith RB (GA):

Jonathan Celestin LB (GA):

Preferred Walk-ons

Jacques Perra QB (Roseville): South Dakota

Payton Jordahl LS/ATH (Perham): NDSU, South Dakota

Emmit Carpenter K (Green Bay, WI): Illinois State

Josh Parks RB (Chisago Lakes): North Dakota, South Dakota State

Blake Weber LB/RB (Prior Lake): Northern Iowa

Nick Leach RB/ATH (Woodbury)

Logan McElfresh P (Brainerd)

Davis Anderson DB (Apple Valley)

Miles Thomas FB (KS CC)

Riley Oharah FB (KS CC)

Just out of curiosity - why are you including the service academies in a discussion of Power 5 offers?

Keep in mind just because a website says there is an offer doesn't make it true.

First off, great list.

Secondly, I was told that we're not supposed to go by star rankings when evaluating recruits at Minnesota and the best way to gauge a high school player's true national status is to look at how many other "big time" offers they have received. The above list contains exactly two players with serious offers from other "Big 5" programs.

Personally, I don't care what star ranking a kid has. Kill has proven time and time again that he has the ability to extract the utmost effort and ability out of his players. With that said, it is a tad disconcerting that all but two of our signees were being pursued by major programs. Perhaps some of the big boys stopped calling when they committed to Minnesota and maybe some have incomplete lists. But that's can't be the case for all of them. I think this class is pretty balanced and could offer some serious impact up front on the OL. I just would like to see Kill turn the corner and start inking a couple major 4* players every year (I wouldn't dare say 5* -- not gonna happen...ever). Imagine what he could do with top-shelf national talent like that! Signing kids that choose Minnesota over Army, Kansas and Air Force leaves much less room for error. If you fail to coach them up, natural talent, size and ability isn't going to be enough to fall back on an survive.

Just food for thought.

Just out of curiosity - why are you including the service academies in a discussion of Power 5 offers?

I included that with my post from last year, but not this year....I included the service academies because I have a lot of respect for the guys who play there and think it takes an extra level of dedication (IMO). I think it goes to character. I’m probably generalizing but these are probably disciplined, smart guys that we probably don’t need to worry about academically or with off-field problems. I think they provide an excellent foundation to a program. Again, IMO

Great summary.

I'm pretty confident that there would have been more offers to some of these guys, had they kept it open longer.

As mentioned, Croft reportedly had Penn State, as well as Michigan State and some others, taking a serious look. They likely would've offered if he expressed some interest. Femi-Cole committed very early. He had a ton of big time programs taking a look at him after that. Brooks got some big-time looks. Who knows about some of the DBs like Buford and Shenault.

How accumulating more of these offers would have impacted the ratings of some of these players, along with the ranking of the class, is another topic. It's argued too much around here, lets not turn it into that.

You never really know if an offers would have materialized for a lot of these guys. Because of that, it may be a little unfair to judge (especially this class) based on offers. For example, if the guys mentioned above would have waited 6 months to commit to the Gophers, they may have each added 3-4 B1G offers, and maybe some SEC, ACC, PAC12, etc. That list would look dramatically better, and people would be rejoicing.

I included that with my post from last year, but not this year....I included the service academies because I have a lot of respect for the guys who play there and think it takes an extra level of dedication (IMO). I think it goes to character. I’m probably generalizing but these are probably disciplined, smart guys that we probably don’t need to worry about academically or with off-field problems. I think they provide an excellent foundation to a program. Again, IMO

Why do you say you didn't include them this year? I see several references to the Service Academies and also to the Ivies. And BYU.

I also think it's kind of disingenuous to include the Service Academies and Ivies because of the education and character and then also include Texas Tech and Oregon and South Carolina for football. Should we assume those kids will have academic or off-field problems?

Why do you say you didn't include them this year? I see several references to the Service Academies and also to the Ivies. And BYU.

I was referring to my rationale about why I included them....not the fact I included them. BYU....pretty much forgot they were an independent - start to lose track with all the shifting.

I also think it's kind of disingenuous to include the Service Academies and Ivies because of the education and character and then also include Texas Tech and Oregon and South Carolina for football. Should we assume those kids will have academic or off-field problems?

What are you talking about? This is a thread about Power 5 conferences - which TT, Oregon, and SC are part of so they should be included. I clearly wrote my rationale about my inclusion of the service academies.

" Should we assume those kids will have academic or off-field problems?" Nope. Thank you for try to twist my words into something I didn't even come remotely close to saying. I pretty clearly said it was my opinion that people in service categories, GENERALLY, have a high character - which is something to build a foundation on. I made ZERO reference about kids that do not go to one.

Some people just like to bitch and complain about what other people compile and post. I appreciate your post and found it informative. Thanks for posting.

That's why, on paper, this is a C rated class at best. Anyone giving this class an A is delusional.

That's why, on paper, this is a C rated class at best. Anyone giving this class an A is delusional.

You really are a "Debbie Downer" guy aren't you! All the work Kill and staff have done are doing to build this program and you continue to take pot shots. Do us all a favor go back from where you came from. You add nothing but negativity to the discussions here. There are so many positives going on with this program, including Kill's and his staff ability to recruit yet you choose to ignore that fact.

Depends how you want to look at it. Are you rating it by comparing it to everyone else's classes? Are you rating it based on our history? Everyone is going to look at it differently. I said it is a 'B' because, in my opinion, it is another step in the right direction. We signed a dynamic QB who isn't just an athlete. He's shown he can be an accurate passer as well. This is the best OL class we've had in awhile. All five of them are huge.

Each class has been bigger and faster, and that makes it successful to me.

I will also say that Kill always mentions that they want kids who really want to be Gophers. This is just speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if we have some kids who don't have other offers because they commit early and completely stop looking at/talking to other programs.

What? Where are you getting that from?

Quinn Oseland and Tyler Moore are the only incoming players that would be considered top-level, national recruits based solely on offers. None of the other players that signed have a bevy of big-time interest like those two. That doesn't mean they are all going to be terrible -- it's just the facts. As I stated before, if there is any coach that can extract the most potential out of these "average" recruits, it's J.Kill.

Quinn Oseland and Tyler Moore are the only incoming players that would be considered top-level, national recruits based solely on offers. None of the other players that signed have a bevy of big-time interest like those two. That doesn't mean they are all going to be terrible -- it's just the facts. As I stated before, if there is any coach that can extract the most potential out of these "average" recruits, it's J.Kill.

So are you saying that only three of them are going to be terrible? The only thing that is terrible is your inane faith in the stars. Don't you realize that the recruiting services are as about as accurate as a stock analyst recommendation? Now that is a real fact!

P.S. You might try learning something about our recruits and how they were recruiting by listening to the following links before you make any more uniformed statements. Be sure to listen to Billy Glassgock also.

http://www.btn2go.com/game/minnesota...ecial-20150204

https://audioboom.com/boos/2865170-...&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter#t=19m0s

It's just the facts, huh? Let's dig into this a little more. First of all, your self-contrived definitions are not facts, they are your opinions. Now that that's settled, let's discuss how you came to formulate those opinions. Your first post said "serious offers" (whatever that means) from "Big 5" schools, and now your moving target has changed to "top-level" and "national". Before you go moving the goalposts again, explain what those terms mean according to your definition.

Top Bottom