Potter would have helped us

Sharpshooter

Reaction score
Seeing that we once again have a dreadful set of D-backs, it would have been nice if Brewster and his croonies would not have run Shane Potter out of town a couple years ago. He was making plays all over the field once again for USD. It's getting real old seeing one clueless CB and safety sitting back and getting burned all game long by a bunch of low-end D1 receivers and a QB that wouldn't stand out in your average D2 game. Embarrassing. As much as I put alot on Brewster, the players must be able to play your very basic man and zone defense...our DB's are terrible.

I don't think I saw Potter defend a pass all day. He brings the lumber against the run, but outside of his experience, I don't think he would have brought that much more to our side. That said, I wish he would have stuck around.

Before the game I could have cared less about Shane Potter and my feelings have not changed.

Shane would have been just one DB and he would have been running all over the place trying to catch up to opponents who blew past the other DBs. It would have hurt more because he would have gotten closer and given us a false sense of optimism.

I saw Shane as a freshmen playing varsity at Becker. He has always had a nose for the ball is a playmaker. Shane is most definatley a D1 capable athlete. Does he run a 4'4 40? Nope but he runs fast enough.

LOLZ, Theret and Royston would've helped. Shane Potter? Haha ok? Furreal?:cool::rolleyes:

50 lb....You are correct, Potter's strength is not defending the pass but he hits everything in his area...which is far more than we can say about any of our DB's, and plays very smart. He would not turn our defense into a legit D1 defense but he would have been a much better option than the guys we have now. Brewster has been soo infactuated with the Florida and Texas guys who run a 4.4 40, but collectively they couldn't tackle their grandma nor have any clue how to defend a pass.

I actually don't think Potter would have helped a whole lot. I'm not hating on him, I am a MN rube and I cheer for those guys wherever they go.

However, we absolutely did what we wanted on offense (should have). We ran the ball for over 200 yards and we threw the ball all over the field. If our defense would have been OK on saturday, we walk out winning that game 45 - 14, and no one would have said anything about Shane Potter. I guess, I think we need secondary help, but I don't think we would get that much help from a defense that we did what we wanted to.

Why does it matter?

Shane Potter didn't want to be at the University of Minnesota. If he did, he wouldn't have left. I'm happy it's working out for him at South Dakota, but he didn't want to be here.

50 lb....You are correct, Potter's strength is not defending the pass but he hits everything in his area...which is far more than we can say about any of our DB's, and plays very smart. He would not turn our defense into a legit D1 defense but he would have been a much better option than the guys we have now. Brewster has been soo infactuated with the Florida and Texas guys who run a 4.4 40, but collectively they couldn't tackle their grandma nor have any clue how to defend a pass.

I don't disagree with much of what you say. I just think that even if he had been in our defensive backfield this past weekend, we still would have been susceptible to that darn slant pattern. Potter is a much better tackler than anyone we currently have though, with the possible exception of Collado.

Yeah, having Willie Middlebrooks and Tyrone Carter out there woulda helped too, but they aren't on the team anymore either.

And before people get all misty eyed over Potter's greatness, it wasn't as if USD had much success stopping the pass either. No doubt he is a nice kid and a solid football player, but stopping the run wasn't really the biggest issue for the defense on Saturday. Stopping the pass, was.

It's against the rules for Harry Potter to use wizardry in front of muggles. Everyone knows that.

Yeah, having Willie Middlebrooks and Tyrone Carter out there woulda helped too, but they aren't on the team anymore either.

And before people get all misty eyed over Potter's greatness, it wasn't as if USD had much success stopping the pass either. No doubt he is a nice kid and a solid football player, but stopping wasn't really the biggest issue for the defense on Saturday. Stopping the pass, was.

There you go adding logic and making great observations and stuff. :D

He left because he was impatient and didn't want to earn his reps. Happens all the time. It's a risk, you can spend four years chasing a chance that never materializes. Every year we lose kids to smaller schools for the simple reason that they want to play. I can understand that. He wouldn't have played much until this season and last year he was the coyotes leading tackler. I guess he got what he wanted. What are you going to do, we're not always going to be the right fit, that doesn't make somebody the bad guy.

Top Bottom