Potential Non-Conference Tournaments for Gophers

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
I'll update this as I discover (hear about) tournaments the Gophers potentially could play in due to the tournaments still have openings, and currently have no Big Ten team.

Dates are tentative.

Charleston Classic (Nov. 21-22, 24)
Committed Teams (7): FAU (American), Miami (ACC), Nevada (Mountain West), Oklahoma State (Big XII), Seton Hall (Big East), Vanderbilt (SEC), VCU (Atlantic 10)

Available Spots: 1

Paradise Jam (Nov. 22, 24-25)
Committed Teams (6): George Washington (Atlantic 10), Illinois State (Missouri Valley), Kansas State (Big XII), Liberty (Conference USA), McNeese (Southland), UAB (American)

Available Spots: 2

Naismith Hall of Fame Showcase (Nov. 23-24)
Committed Teams (3): Boston College (ACC), Temple (American), UMass (Atlantic 10)

Available Spots: 1

Cayman Islands Classic (Nov. 24-26) (Rutgers withdrew to play in NIL extravaganza)
Committed Teams (6): Boise State (Mountain West), Duquesne (Atlantic 10), Hampton (Coastal), High Point (Big South), Missouri State (Missouri Valley), Old Dominion (Sun Belt)

Last edited:

I'll update this as I discover (hear about) tournaments the Gophers potentially could play in due to the tournaments still have openings, and currently have no Big Ten team.

Charleston Classic
Committed Teams (6): FAU (American), Miami (ACC), Nevada (Mountain West), Oklahoma State (Big XII), Seton Hall (Big East), VCU (Atlantic 10)

Paradise Jam
Committed Teams (6): George Washington (Atlantic 10), Illinois State (Missouri Valley), Kansas State (Big XII), Liberty (Conference USA), McNeese (Southland), UAB (American)

If you have dates, it could help discern travel plans! 😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240515_142520~2.png
    Screenshot_20240515_142520~2.png
    821.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240515_142651~2.png
    Screenshot_20240515_142651~2.png
    107.8 KB · Views: 9

Cayman Islands Classic (this is the tourney Rutgers withdrew from to play in NIL extravaganza)
Committed Teams (6): Boise State (Mountain West), Duquesne (Atlantic 10), Hampton (Coastal), High Point (Big South), Missouri State (Missouri Valley), Old Dominion (Sun Belt)

Charleston Classic
Committed Teams (6): FAU (American), Miami (ACC), Nevada (Mountain West), Oklahoma State (Big XII), Seton Hall (Big East), VCU (Atlantic 10)

Paradise Jam

Don't forget the big 2, The NCAA and the NIT. Surely the Gopher will be in the hunt for a bid to one or both of those.

Let's just pool some money together and hold the GopherHole.com Tournament of Excellence. 😉

Let's just pool some money together and hold the GopherHole.com Tournament of Excellence. 😉
Ben will sign up, as long as the other teams are all at the quality level of USC Upstate and Arkansas Pine Bluff.

I'd like to see them go to the Diamond Head Classic in Hawaii. It's not among the most elite of holiday tournaments (usually features two or three power conference teams and a number of respectable mid-majors among the 8 reams). I think it's about the team's speed at this point.

It's played on December 22nd, 23rd, and 25th. There are four games each day. Typically, it's the only college basketball televised on Christmas day.

I'd like to see them go to the Diamond Head Classic in Hawaii. It's not among the most elite of holiday tournaments (usually features two or three power conference teams and a number of respectable mid-majors among the 8 reams). I think it's about the team's speed at this point.

It's played on December 22nd, 23rd, and 25th. There are four games each day. Typically, it's the only college basketball televised on Christmas day.
Solid tournament, nice to have some hoops on Christmas Day/Night after all the Christmas cheer/blessings. Nebraska playing in it this coming season.

Providence replacing Creighton in B4A. Opens up a spot in the Naismith Basketball HOF Classic. The 3 other teams are BC, UMass and Temple.

Edit* Missed this in the OP.

Solid tournament, nice to have some hoops on Christmas Day/Night after all the Christmas cheer/blessings. Nebraska playing in it this coming season.

Ah...I guess that leaves us out then. They won't invite two Big Ten teams. Nebraska played in that tournament previously (within the last 10 years or so).

You gotta be hungry for some college basketball to skip over the marquee NBA matchups and two NFL Christmas Day games. :)

You best 13 patsies and it doesn't help you get an NCAA bid. He may not have thought he needed one last year- he does this year.
Maybe he changes? Maybe he doesn't? 100% true I think if you are a mid major. We play in the Big Ten...I think the conference regular season carries the most weight. Conference tournaments were a complete non factor unless you won it. And no I can't explain the Big East.
The selections were impossible to figure out. St John's by #s should have been in, Indiana St should have been in, New Mexico should have been in (without winning the tournament-they were not). St John's played a decent non conference schedule...got screwed as some teams like Michigan and West Virginia turned out to be bad with unpredictable issues. Finished 5th in Big East conference and lost to UConn by 5 and 4 points....and again by metrics was in top 30 neighborhood.
So, non conference might matter, might not. Winning seems helpful.
And yes, I'm aware there were some bid stealers...even so.

Maybe he changes? Maybe he doesn't? 100% true I think if you are a mid major. We play in the Big Ten...I think the conference regular season carries the most weight. Conference tournaments were a complete non factor unless you won it. And no I can't explain the Big East.
The selections were impossible to figure out. St John's by #s should have been in, Indiana St should have been in, New Mexico should have been in (without winning the tournament-they were not). St John's played a decent non conference schedule...got screwed as some teams like Michigan and West Virginia turned out to be bad with unpredictable issues. Finished 5th in Big East conference and lost to UConn by 5 and 4 points....and again by metrics was in top 30 neighborhood.
Non conference matters when your schedule is the worst in the country.

Even if we had finished 10-10 or 11-9 this past year in the Big Ten we still had no chance to go to the NCAAs because of our non- conference schedule. 10-10, 11-9 gets you in if you play a good non- conference schedule and win your share of the games.

Even if we had finished 10-10 or 11-9 this past year in the Big Ten we still had no chance to go to the NCAAs because of our non- conference schedule. 10-10, 11-9 gets you in if you play a good non- conference schedule and win your share of the games.
But, 12 and 8 ties us for third place in the conference this past year. That is not a spectacular record. You think they take the other two 12-8 teams but skip us because of our non conference record? That would have made no sense, right? And they also took the lone 11-9 Wisconsin.

I agree it is a factor but I also think you gotta win in the 20 games neighborhood too.

But, 12 and 8 ties us for third place in the conference this past year. That is not a spectacular record. You think they take the other two 12-8 teams but skip us because of our non conference record? That would have made no sense, right? And they also took the lone 11-9 Wisconsin.

I agree it is a factor but I also think you gotta win in the 20 games neighborhood too.
We probably would have gotten in at 12-8 but been a 10 or 11 seed.

Nebraska went 13-5 in 2017-2018 and didn't get in. And their non-conference schedule was a juggernaut compared to the pathetic one the Gophers played last year. They played Mississippi State, UCF, St. Johns, BC, Creighton and Kansas and went 2-4. We played Missouri and San Francisco and went 0-2.

I think Ben is more concerned with 13 non conference wins over anything else.

I know you don't think much of Ben but I'm pretty sure he's not so clueless as to believe we can get 13 nonconference wins from 11 nonconference opponents.

I know you don't think much of Ben but I'm pretty sure he's not so clueless as to believe we can get 13 nonconference wins from 11 nonconference opponents.
Actually, i was giving him credit. He said he respected Coach P's program principle: "Find a Way!"
Ben may actually surprise you and figure out a way to do this. Why do you count him out all the time?

Actually, i was giving him credit. He said he respected Coach P's program principle: "Find a Way!"
Ben may actually surprise you and figure out a way to do this. Why do you count him out all the time?

Obviously, wit isn't your forte. Why don't you just show a little humility and admit your error for once in your life?

Two projected tournament teams. No matter the 4th team, this is at least 1 Q1 opportunity. Coupled with the road game at Missouri, could be two Q1 games already OOC.

Edit* not sure why the tweet won't embed in the post.

Last edited:

Top Bottom