Postponed B1G games, does this just mean cancelled?

Otis

Reaction score
Does the B1G have any intention making up these postponed games?

Just wanted to know as this is going to put a serious impact on Nebraska's chances to get into the top half of the standings. :)

I really hope they can find a way to make up all of these games. Should be doable, playing 3-4 times per week in basketball is realistic (happens in March come conference tourney time).

Huskers have already have missed 5 games; PU, Illini, Maryland, MN and now Iowa. I glanced at their schedule and they could probably use 2/6, 2/26, 3/3 and 3/5 as make up dates, assuming those dates would be a fit the other teams. As the season moves forward, there could likely be more postponed contests which would further complicate things.

Huskers have already have missed 5 games; PU, Illini, Maryland, MN and now Iowa. I glanced at their schedule and they could probably use 2/6, 2/26, 3/3 and 3/5 as make up dates, assuming those dates would be a fit the other teams. As the season moves forward, there could likely be more postponed contests which would further complicate things.
There is a decent chance that Nebraska will have no further Covid problems, so it may more depend on what happens to other teams than them.

If the Big 10 was intent on having everyone play 20 games, when teams are on pause I would have thought they would try to adjust the schedule on the fly.

For instance, have the Gophers play someone else with an open date this week (either a future opponent to free up a future date or play another team only scheduled to play once).

On the other hand, in the grand scheme of things maybe just not that big of a deal.

They had said they intend on making games up but it is to be seen if they are successful at it

They had said they intend on making games up but it is to be seen if they are successful at it
They can't make them all up at the end. They are going to have to start doing it pretty soon.

If the Big 10 was intent on having everyone play 20 games, when teams are on pause I would have thought they would try to adjust the schedule on the fly.

For instance, have the Gophers play someone else with an open date this week (either a future opponent to free up a future date or play another team only scheduled to play once).

On the other hand, in the grand scheme of things maybe just not that big of a deal.

They did adjust some schedules last week. I agree, they should add a game for us next week. Maybe Northwestern? Move the February game to next week.

As others have mentioned, it appears Gophers caught a break getting their COVID issues out of the way prior to the season. Hopefully there’s some truth to it that Corona is harder to get a second time around.

As others have mentioned, it appears Gophers caught a break getting their COVID issues out of the way prior to the season. Hopefully there’s some truth to it that Corona is harder to get a second time around.
I mean there have been close to 100million *diagnosed** cases worldwide and the amount of “reinfections” have been small enough to not have published numbers anywhere

I think we only had a few guys out with covid earlier. Doesn't mean the rest of the team and staff won't get it.

They did adjust some schedules last week. I agree, they should add a game for us next week. Maybe Northwestern? Move the February game to next week.

Thanks, I missed that they adjusted some games previously.

Nebraska is going to be busy losing that many more games. Especially coming off of a pause.

McCaffrey is saying the league is looking at changing teams' opponents as a possibility. For example, the gophs are scheduled to play Wisconson once. We may end up playing Wisconsin twice if that can help get teams to a full 20 game schedule.

McCaffrey is saying the league is looking at changing teams' opponents as a possibility. For example, the gophs are scheduled to play Wisconson once. We may end up playing Wisconsin twice if that can help get teams to a full 20 game schedule.

Warren must have seen post #5.

Warren must have seen post #5.

Well done! I certainly didnt see that coming. Makes sense though I guess. Gotta ask - are you a friend of Otis who also posts on gh?

Well done! I certainly didnt see that coming. Makes sense though I guess. Gotta ask - are you a friend of Otis who also posts on gh?

Thanks, no I don't know Otis personally, nor Floyd for that matter. Actually more of a Richie fan.

Thanks, no I don't know Otis personally, nor Floyd for that matter. Actually more of a Richie fan.

Great characters in Mayberry. On Happy Days too for that matter.

Basketball will struggle down the stretch. There were 7 games involving top 25 teams last night that were canceled. Can't imagine the B1G tournament will be played.

I think we only had a few guys out with covid earlier. Doesn't mean the rest of the team and staff won't get it.

True. But if 1/2 the team/staff has had it, the odds of others being infected goes down. And the odds of it spreading are lower.

Basketball will struggle down the stretch. There were 7 games involving top 25 teams last night that were canceled. Can't imagine the B1G tournament will be played.
Honestly it cycles up and down. There have been teams out all year football and basketball.

I’d be surprised if some ncaa tourney teams don’t cancel. I’d also be surprised if they don’t play the tourney

Looks like the Wisconsin @ Penn State game that was postponed has been rescheduled. Barry Alvarez must have thrown his weight around to make sure Wisconsin wasn't cheated out of an easy victory game. :sneaky:

Oh, and Rutgers @ Penn State today looks like a makeup game as well.

Teams with byes next mid-week: Indiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Ohio State, Purdue......all teams with postponed games against Nebraska. Who also doesn't have a game scheduled. :unsure:

Edit: Illinois plays Iowa that Friday. Indiana doesn't have a mid-week game. I had that wrong.

Last edited:

Looks like the Wisconsin @ Penn State game that was postponed has been rescheduled. Barry Alvarez must have thrown his weight around to make sure Wisconsin wasn't cheated out of an easy victory game. :sneaky:

Oh, and Rutgers @ Penn State today looks like a makeup game as well.

Teams with byes next mid-week: Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Ohio State, Purdue......all teams with postponed games against Nebraska. Who also doesn't have a game scheduled. :unsure:
We already pay Illinois, Purdue and Maryland twice. Not sure I really want to add a game at OSU in place of a game at Nebraska so....

We already pay Illinois, Purdue and Maryland twice. Not sure I really want to add a game at OSU in place of a game at Nebraska so....

They should simply move one of the Gopher games vs. Illinois, Indiana, or NW from February to next week. That opens some flexibility in February. All of those teams are OFF next week and are healthy now. No need to have them ALL sitting for a week and not playing games when they can.

Last edited:

I had it wrong. Indiana doesn't have a game, not Illinois. Northwestern also has a bye that mid-week. How about the Gophers go to Northwestern instead of Nebraska then? They are only scheduled to play once, as of right now, and that's at Williams arena.

Top Bottom