Postgame reaction Brew, Decker, Weber, Triplett

Doogie

Reaction score
Will make this all bullet point form

Brewster:

"This place was magic tonight. We were gonna find a way to win."

"We knew it was our night and our house."

"What can you say about our defense? Lights-out. They laid it on the line."

On Triplett: "Playing at an extremely high level." Gave Kirksey some love for causing the fumble.

On halftime adjustments: "There's no flinch, no panic, no yelling. (The coaches) did a nice job."

"We have to eliminate the self-inflicted wounds" -- translation: the penalties have to stop

"The potential for our offense is excellent. Our quarterback is a heck of a football player."

"We did a better job in the 2nd half of protecting our quarterback"

"We had a lot of recruits here...and it was a good thing."

Noted that he gave it serious thought to go for it on 4th & 1, up 17-10, with 5:13 left, Ellestad went up to him and told him he would make the kick...Brew said that was not the determining factor in going for the FG, but loved that Ellestad has that confidence.

Troy Calhoun on the play of the game in my mind, the 3rd and 25 completion to Tow-Arnett: "It was a huge play, without a doubt, in terms of just being able to keep the ball in front of you. You have to take deep enough drops to make the seam route a very difficult pass to make."

Decker: "This team has showed it's a 3rd and 4th quarter team."

Weber on the feeling at the half: "Very frustrated. The lack of tempo was frustrating. Lee Campbell did a good job in a loud manner telling us that we just needed to play."

Weber on offense overall: "We have faith in this offense. We're not there yet."

Triplett: "Coach came up to me (early in the week) and said 'we need a big game out of you' and I said all right."

Weber when asked about setting the all-time completions record at MN (moved past Cory Sauter tonight), paused for a second, allowing Decker to say: "It's kind of a big deal." Weber added: "Kind of happens if you stay around long enough. A great honor."

Will make this all bullet point form

Brewster:

"This place was magic tonight. We were gonna find a way to win."

"We knew it was our night and our house."

"What can you say about our defense? Lights-out. They laid it on the line."

On Triplett: "Playing at an extremely high level." Gave Kirksey some love for causing the fumble.

On halftime adjustments: "There's no flinch, no panic, no yelling. (The coaches) did a nice job."

"We have to eliminate the self-inflicted wounds" -- translation: the penalties have to stop

"The potential for our offense is excellent. Our quarterback is a heck of a football player."

"We did a better job in the 2nd half of protecting our quarterback"

"We had a lot of recruits here...and it was a good thing."

Noted that he gave it serious thought to go for it on 4th & 1, up 17-10, with 5:13 left, Ellestad went up to him and told him he would make the kick...Brew said that was not the determining factor in going for the FG, but loved that Ellestad has that confidence.

Troy Calhoun on the play of the game in my mind, the 3rd and 25 completion to Tow-Arnett: "It was a huge play, without a doubt, in terms of just being able to keep the ball in front of you. You have to take deep enough drops to make the seam route a very difficult pass to make."

Decker: "This team has showed it's a 3rd and 4th quarter team."

Weber on the feeling at the half: "Very frustrated. The lack of tempo was frustrating. Lee Campbell did a good job in a loud manner telling us that we just needed to play."

Weber on offense overall: "We have faith in this offense. We're not there yet."

Triplett: "Coach came up to me (early in the week) and said 'we need a big game out of you' and I said all right."

Weber when asked about setting the all-time completions record at MN (moved past Cory Sauter tonight), paused for a second, allowing Decker to say: "It's kind of a big deal." Weber added: "Kind of happens if you stay around long enough. A great honor."

Great work Doogie!! Love the comments!! They do have a ways to go yet, but they believe in the coaches, each other, the system, and the FANS!!!

Buck the Fadgers and I hate Iowa!!!

Thanks doogie. Triplett played out of his mind tonight it sure was fun to watch him run that fumble back.

Triplett was the bomb...best group of LBs I can remember here...Lawrence should play on Sundays, granted as a safety and Campbell is trustworthy and very capable in the middle. Still tough to get super giddy over beating just an OK Air Force team. Over the LBs? Yes. Overall? NO. Still expect a 4-1 record heading into game vs. Purdue. Have to beat Wisconsin this year.

The Ellestad FG was huge, in a number of ways...

I thought the FG by Ellestad was something that will pay dividends over the course of the next two seasons.

First, for obvious reasons, it sealed the game, giving the Rodents a 10-pt margin with just over 5:00 to play.

But more importantly, it gave Ellestad a big confidence lift in TWO different ways; the first, of course, was making a big kick in a big situation, coming through in the clutch, very big.

Second though, was the message Brew sent to Ellestad by kicking it instead of going for it on 4th down. By kicking the FG, Brew made it clear to Ellestad that he and the staff has that kind of confidence in him and that is absolutely huge for a PK.

This is a mistake that I thought Mason did with more than one of the Gopher kickers in recent years. I can recall a handful of times, similar situations, where Mason elected to go for it. Whether or not it was the right call, it sends the wrong message to your kicker and doesn't instill him with a ton of confidence.

These two game-winning kicks (essentially) for Ellestad, along with Brew's decision to take the FG this Saturday, all but guarantee the Gophers that they will have a VERY reliable kicker over the next two seasons. Impossible to put a price on that...

He seems like he's going to be just fine. Slowly our ?'s for the season are being answered in positive ways.

And they have Kip Smith coming in next year...Ellestad from 40-yards and in is money...the 40-yarder last night was good by a mile...he has the leg to make it from 53-55, looking forward to him getting some of those longer opportunities.

Top Bottom