Pomeroy Ratings

gopherbadgerman

Reaction score
Does anyone know what goes into these? They have MN 29th. It must not be similar to RPI, because I think we are in the 70's there...

It's completely different than RPI. All RPI takes into consideration is the outcome of games. KenPom is far more advanced, a lot of it is based on the team's points per possession scored and given up. Also important are the "four factors" - effective FG%, turnover %, offensive rebound %, and free throws attempted per field goal attempted. It also takes victory/loss margin into account, which RPI does not.

The fact that the Gophers KenPom ranking is so much higher than their RPI ranking indicates that they're a better team than their W/L record shows.

RPI = how good has a team performed?

Pomeroy = how good will a team play?

rc

It's completely different than RPI. All RPI takes into consideration is the outcome of games. KenPom is far more advanced, a lot of it is based on the team's points per possession scored and given up. Also important are the "four factors" - effective FG%, turnover %, offensive rebound %, and free throws attempted per field goal attempted. It also takes victory/loss margin into account, which RPI does not.

The fact that the Gophers KenPom ranking is so much higher than their RPI ranking indicates that they're a better team than their W/L record shows.

I think the Gophers really rolled up some impressive numbers during their creampuff part of the noncon schedule. For quite a while early in the season Pom had the Gophers in the top 10 or 15.

I think the Gophers really rolled up some impressive numbers during their creampuff part of the noncon schedule. For quite a while early in the season Pom had the Gophers in the top 10 or 15.
Eh, most teams do. That might contribute to it a little, but I think the biggest factor is that the Gophers have had a lot of close losses but not many close wins.

Here http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/ratings_explanation/ is how KP explains it.

Top Bottom