Poll: Preferred Background for New Coach

What background should the next coach have?

• Big Six HC who is falling out of favor (Richt, etc.)

Votes: 23 27.7%
  • Unemployed former Big Six coach (Leach, Jagodinski, etc.)

Votes: 8 9.6%
  • HC from a non AQ/FCS school

Votes: 21 25.3%
  • OC/DC from a Big Six school

Votes: 21 25.3%
  • NFL coach (HC or other) with previous (legitimate) CFB experience

Votes: 10 12.0%

• Total voters

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
After weeks (months? years?) of people just throwing out random names, I am curious to see what general background people most wish to see in a new coach.

I am going to assume that we will not be able to get a winning coach from a big six program (but who knows, we got Tubby and Grinnin' Glen was a modest success at Kansas). At any rate, I am going to omit "winning coach from existing Big Six program" from the choices.

I voted Big Six HC, but what I really want is a guy who knows who he is and what he wants the team to look like. That could come from anywhere. I would also prefer someone with some head coaching experience.

I'm hoping for Venables and/or Heupel, though I have no idea how realistic either of those choices might be.

I don't care. As long as he has a moustache. A moustache commands respect.

And a thick Southern drawl. Not the "Wacker Aw Shucks I've lived in Texas awhile" Southern drawl, but one where you actually need a translator.

This is an excellent question. Butch Jones would’ve been my top selection before jumping from Central Michigan to Cincinnati this past year. I like that MAC/Mountain West/CUSA type of coach that have been able to succeed in D1 and would be able to bring key assistants with them. I just don’t see that obvious name on the board this season. We need someone that can hire and maintain a staff. This program can’t have guys like Ted Roof jumping to Auburn. OC/DC changes killed Brewster. What did Auburn see in Gene Chizik that most didn’t see during his 5-19 tenure at Iowa State? Chuck Long went 9-27 in three years at San Diego State….is it possible he could be the next surprise success?

I vote HC from a non AQ/FCS school.

one where you actually need a translator.

BRING BACK LOU!!!! I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THE HELL HE'S SAYING!

I say let's bring in a variety of choices. Gimme a up and coming coach, a ex Big 6 coach or two, and a good OC/DC. I'd prefer a defensive oriented coach. Brewster, Mason, Wacker all had no clue what the hell to do when it came to defense. Remember, defense wins championships...or at least keeps you in games. Look at Big 10 powers over the last 20 years. Some of these teams have had terrible offenses (except when they play us, then everyone puts on a clinic and individuals have career days) yet they still are in New Year's bowls. Get a defensive oriented coach! PLEASE!!!
Maturi failed by not showing Patterson from TCU the money! Quit going after bargain basement coaches because that hasn't been working at the U for a while.

U of M former player and graduate, with coaching experience Same thing for a new AD NO ONE from the outside with No loyalty to the "U"

I'd like a coach with six fingers on each hand. I'm not sure why.

This is an excellent question. Butch Jones would’ve been my top selection before jumping from Central Michigan to Cincinnati this past year. I like that MAC/Mountain West/CUSA type of coach that have been able to succeed in D1 and would be able to bring key assistants with them. I just don’t see that obvious name on the board this season. We need someone that can hire and maintain a staff. This program can’t have guys like Ted Roof jumping to Auburn. OC/DC changes killed Brewster. What did Auburn see in Gene Chizik that most didn’t see during his 5-19 tenure at Iowa State? Chuck Long went 9-27 in three years at San Diego State….is it possible he could be the next surprise success?

I vote HC from a non AQ/FCS school.

That's what I selected as well. I think a guy like Troy Calhoun at Air Force would be a great pick. He's been successful at the Division 1 level. He has experience as a coordinator in both the NFL and college. He's done well everywhere he's gone. Calhoun may be a tough one to get as he is coaching at his alma mater. But someone with similar experiences and success would be my pick.

I say let's bring in a variety of choices. Gimme a up and coming coach, a ex Big 6 coach or two, and a good OC/DC.

I agree. One guy can coach the team in the morning, and the other guy in the afternoon. The third guy can coach weekends. Then after spring ball the players can vote on which head coach to keep. Then go with that guy.

I'm hoping for Venables and/or Heupel, though I have no idea how realistic either of those choices might be.

+1

Venables.

You will know that good things are coming when the Gophers start losing to good teams by small margins in low scoring games. Think of Lou Holtz and losing to Oklahoma 63-7 one year and 13-6 the next. I also remember an Alvarez team losing 13-7 to Iowa on a late touchdown the year before the rose bowl.

Top Bottom