Poll: Favorite win at "The Bank"?

Your favorite win at The Bank

• Air Force - 2009; Opening The Bank in style.

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • Michigan State - 2009; Spooky times for Sparty

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • Iowa - 2010; Horton hears a Trophy

Votes: 44 41.1%
  • Iowa - 2011; Kill protects the Pig

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • Illinois - 2011; Gophers dominating performance

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rescooter

Section 243
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to see which win was their favorite at The Bank. There are 5 that stick out in my mind: Air Force, Michigan State, Iowa (1st), Iowa (2nd), and Illinois.

I thought it would be interesting to see which win was their favorite at The Bank. There are 5 that stick out in my mind: Air Force, Michigan State, Iowa (1st), Iowa (2nd), and Illinois.

I thought the MSU win was the most entertaining game by far, but both Iowa wins were more pleasing. The Illinois/Air Force games were nice, but didn't have the same feeling as the previous three mentioned.

The 2010 season was terrible in nearly every way. After all that happened, that Iowa win was a huge release. I genuinely could not believe it was happening. I will always remember Jeff Horton fondly for how he handled the end of that season and the Iowa game in particular.

I voted for Air Force because to me it was such a special day, all around. Yes, the opponent wasn't a major rival. But winning that game seemed SO important - new stadium, huge crowd, tons of emotion, perfect setting (temperature, half daylight half night time with my first view of the city skyline from the bank, etc), the flyover, the loudness of the crowd (watch the video of the pregame Rouser on Youtube and listen to how loud it can be in that stadium), everything. It felt so good to start off 1-0 at the Bank and to see exactly what college football on campus can truly be like week after week if the team performs well enough and we build a fanbase here (yes there were logistics issues but the buzz on campus that day was fantastic - tons of people, tailgating, events, it was awesome).

The Iowa 2010 game was my close second simply because I dislike them so much and it felt SO good to watch all the cocky Iowa fans shut their mouths when we punched them in the proverbial gut by out-caring/hustling/hitting/everything them in that game. People rushing the field and seeing Weber and some other seniors finally get a victory over a rival was great but there were far too few students and overall MN fans for the game to be as "special" to me.

I will never forget the first game at TCF. Simply amazing.

Hard not to go with one of the Floyd wins, but on a personal level, I loved the Halloween MSU win. My girlfriend is an alum there and we caught the game on TV here in MI with our Goldy and Sparty jack-o-lanterns on.

We upset them, helped ourselves get to a bowl game...and she didn't speak the rest of the night. Classic. Lol. I don't get many of those moments over her/MSU, so when I do, I'm sure to soak it in! :D

I was stuck between Air Force and Iowa 2010; AF because of the magical feeling that night, and Iowa b/c it was so awesome after that train wreck of a season, and for the seniors, to get that win, the first in several years over the Squaks. Went with Iowa 2010

It's a difficult choice. They were all special for their own reasons:

1. Air Force: 1st game ever at the Bank
2. Michigan St.: the most entertaining game. Thought the Gophers were out of it, will never forget Duane Bennett's version of the Miracluous Reception
3. Iowa 2010: great to beat a rival in the Seniors last game.
4. Iowa 2011: Kill gets his first big victory, plus its Iowa, for the 2nd time in a row.

In the end, I'll have to go with Iowa 2010. The atmosphere was incredible after that game.

This is a tough one...I would rank them in this order.

1 A) Mich St game - The last TD scored by us was pretty awesome!
1 B) Iowa 2010. - Storming the field that first time was amazing. (Close Tie between these two!)
2 ) Iowa 2011
3 ) Air Force game

While I voted differently (though it was close) this poll definitely goes to show how much rivalry games (and wins), particularly at the END of the season, mean in college football. I think everyone can agree the first game @ TCF was magical yet the Iowa 2010 win is hands down winning the poll.

I just can't vote.. I was at every one of those games with the exception of the 2010 Iowa game (sisters wedding). They all were great games.

Air Force: The Bank was electric that evening. Seeing Bud Grant tear up was something I'll never, ever forget. And all the players walked around the field high five-ing all the fans.
Michigan State: What a crazy Halloween night that was! Definitely the most entertaining game I've seen, although at the same time the most frustrating (something like 17 penalties that night for us). That game had highs and lows, with the 'Miraculous Reception v2.0' sealing the deal.
Iowa 2011: Completely unexpected, IMO. Iowa fans that I experienced at the Bank, though, were pretty tame. I think they were afraid of another loss in 'Kinnick Nort-TheBank'. That onside kick expressed balls of steel from Coach K.
Illinois: The most dominant I recall seeing the Gophers play in person post-Mason era, and the most dominant they've played in the Bank. That was another very fun and entertaining game. I was honestly waiting for Illinois to steal one (as it seemed the away team came away victorious between these two schools).
Iowa 2010: I kept tabs on this game during my sisters wedding. Before it started, my Hawkeye family members kept giving me crap (knowing I'm a season ticket holder) about not being at the game and how I wouldn't want to watch it anyway, etc etc etc. My phone's battery died before the game was over, so I was in the dark until finally my wife let me use her phone to check the score. Which showed the final, 24-27. I kept shaking my head to make sure I wasn't seeing them wrong (I grew up dyslexic, so sometimes numbers get swapped around in my head). I finally asked my wife to read me the score. She confirmed it. So I quickly rushed to my Hawkeye family members and pointed out that Floyd was finally coming home. The look on their faces was priceless. Then I proceeded to get mad at my sister for planning her wedding on the ONE weekend the Gophers come up huge with a 'W' against a rival, at home. Later that night, at about 2am I believe, I was just about ready to turn off the tv in the hotel room to catch some zzz's when I saw an ad for what was next to be aired on BTN, which was the game. Needless to say, I didn't get any sleep that night. And I didn't care.

I chose Iowa 2011. The Hawkeyes didn't overlook the Gophers on this evening; none of their usual showboat - their fans were focused.

From the moment we walked in to The Bank, there was a different feeling. You just knew that something special was going to happen. What I witnessed in the 4th quarter can only be described as fans being freed from the Ghost of Brewster. We were used to seeing blown leads or seeing the players physically drained. That night was different, and I could feel it. This YouTube captures what we all saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ75LGvBJj0&feature=related

I will never be content again with mediocity.

Just think how insane TCF will be if one day when we need a late season win against a team like Michigan or Wisconsin to go to Pasadena. It may just match the emotion and energy in the stadium those of us that were lucky enough to feel vs Air Force! I felt so proud of the U and our stadium that day/night! It was awesome!

I voted for Air Force because to me it was such a special day, all around. Yes, the opponent wasn't a major rival. But winning that game seemed SO important - new stadium, huge crowd, tons of emotion, perfect setting (temperature, half daylight half night time with my first view of the city skyline from the bank, etc), the flyover, the loudness of the crowd (watch the video of the pregame Rouser on Youtube and listen to how loud it can be in that stadium), everything. It felt so good to start off 1-0 at the Bank and to see exactly what college football on campus can truly be like week after week if the team performs well enough and we build a fanbase here (yes there were logistics issues but the buzz on campus that day was fantastic - tons of people, tailgating, events, it was awesome).

The Iowa 2010 game was my close second simply because I dislike them so much and it felt SO good to watch all the cocky Iowa fans shut their mouths when we punched them in the proverbial gut by out-caring/hustling/hitting/everything them in that game. People rushing the field and seeing Weber and some other seniors finally get a victory over a rival was great but there were far too few students and overall MN fans for the game to be as "special" to me.

My thoughts exactly... couldn't have said it better. I have been at every Gopher game ever played at TCF and that first one was just special. There was a lot of pressure to win, and the team delivered. The whole atmosphere and the feeling that something special was starting was just too cool to have me vote for something else. That being said... I think any vote on this list is a tough one because they were all a lot of fun. Hopefully this poll can one day be repeated with some added games over rivals and national powers from seasons when the Gophers will again be challenging for a championship.

I've been lucky enough to see every win in person, but I chose the 2011 Iowa game. I felt the two Iowa wins were the most fun, but I held 2011 a little higher just because 2010 was like a "lame duck" scenario. I felt great for Horton but I knew he would not be retained, so it felt a little empty (still great to win the Pig, and stick it to Iowa though). 2011 seemed more like a building block to me, so it meant more...hard to argue with either win, though. I was thinking about this the other day...I haven't missed a game in TCF, and it's crazy to think about but even with our lack of success the last three years, I've had a great time during every home game. It just reinforces how nice it is to have an on campus, outdoor stadium. For every long, post-defeat walk I've had back to my car I've had more great memories of tailgating and fresh air. Ski U Mah!!!!

Agree with all points. I will never forget the atmosphere in the Bank on opening day against Air Force, with Iowa 2010 being a close second.

Close between MSU and Iowa 2010. I voted for Iowa. Was the first win over them since the last game at the dome. That's why.

The crowd was absolutely rockin' against Air Force. I will never forget that night; such an amazing feeling. It just shows how great The Bank can be. I can't wait until this thing is turned around and we get that stadium to be the toughest ticket in town (which is easily possible considering how terrible our sports are).

Other, as in "all of the above"

Seriously, this is a tough one. Akin to picking your favorite kid but probably in this order: #1 Iowa, AF, #2 Iowa, MS, and Ill.

Go Gophers!

First Iowa win was great, second one priceless.
My seats are surrounded by scalper tickets, we were bombarded by four letter words for three plus quarters from Iowa's finest. Having them leave in disbelief and silence two years in a row is absolutely priceless!
Side note: they left before the game ended,I wished them a safe trip home.

we will win this week? said:
First Iowa win was great, second one priceless.
My seats are surrounded by scalper tickets, we were bombarded by four letter words for three plus quarters from Iowa's finest. Having them leave in disbelief and silence two years in a row is absolutely priceless!
Side note: they left before the game ended,I wished them a safe trip home.
What section was that?

The 2010 Iowa game was the best sporting event I've ever witnessed live. That could partly be because it was my last game in a marching band uniform.

Illinois because of dominate defense.

Iowa - Mark 2

Comeback from 11 down
Onside kick
Held the ball 11 out of the last 13 minutes

That is why I voted that way.

Top Bottom