Podcast of Erik Kaler on the 2-8-15 Sports Huddle with Sid & Dave

I'll save you the trouble of listening. Kaler (IMHO) was trying to defuse the flap over the Strib article. His message amounted to "stay calm, all is well." Said the U has done a good job of fundraising so far, and "expects" that they will be able to raise what they need to begin the project. As far as the 80% rule, Kaler seemed to suggest that there is some flexibility on how they reach that 80% figure - mentioned something about a "bridge loan." Again, my impression was that Kaler was trying to paint the most positive picture possible. He also said that Teague "has his full support" or something of that ilk - the dreaded vote of confidence.

I'll save you the trouble of listening. Kaler (IMHO) was trying to defuse the flap over the Strib article. His message amounted to "stay calm, all is well." Said the U has done a good job of fundraising so far, and "expects" that they will be able to raise what they need to begin the project. As far as the 80% rule, Kaler seemed to suggest that there is some flexibility on how they reach that 80% figure - mentioned something about a "bridge loan." Again, my impression was that Kaler was trying to paint the most positive picture possible. He also said that Teague "has his full support" or something of that ilk - the dreaded vote of confidence.

Thanks, SON

I believe the resolution of this issue is the most important factor in our future of a football program. If we cannot build these facilities, we will forever be a second class organization. The last two years are all we can ever hope for...

I am still of the opinion that the announcement of the seat fee increases are part of this process and that revenue will be used as proof of repayment capability for the loan Kaler mentioned. I am also confident that they have one or two big announcements left to make...one has to be T Denny and the other has to be another corporate gift from someone like 3-M.

I hope they are not expecting great things from the seat fee increases, because people are no going to pay these increased fees after next year, mark it down.

As you seem prone to do at times with this topic, way to read into something that is not there in regards to Teague & Kaler. :rolleyes:

I hope they are not expecting great things from the seat fee increases, because people are no going to pay these increased fees after next year, mark it down.

Ummm.......k. Marked down per your instructions. What's next Carnac the Magnificent?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZFQFf_Vb0Hw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I believe the resolution of this issue is the most important factor in our future of a football program. If we cannot build these facilities, we will forever be a second class organization. The last two years are all we can ever hope for...

Wow.....some of you are getting ridiculous in your overreaction to this topic. The facilities will get built for goodness sake.

Wow.....some of you are getting ridiculous in your overreaction to this topic. The facilities will get built for goodness sake.

There are never overreactions or over analyzing on GH, spudfly.

Incorrect, people will pay the fee. Some of the "we want to win but don't want to contribute" people will leave which is fine with me.

The Seat Money does not go to the Football Program.
Below is an excerpt from the letter sent to the Season Ticket Holders.
The Football Program supports the Non Rev Programs. Now, more of their Fan's will too.

"The cost of supporting our 750 Gopher student-athletes (fourth-most in the Big Ten) has increased dramatically in recent years. This challenge is not unique to Gopher Athletics, which is why most Big Ten schools and FBS schools in other major metropolitan areas adjust the total price of their tickets, including donation levels, on a regular basis." Director of Athletics Norwood Teague.

Incorrect, people will pay the fee. Some of the "we want to win but don't want to contribute" people will leave which is fine with me.

I am totally with you on this. I for one will pay the increased fees in addition to my Nothing Short of Greatness Campaign contribution. I understand that some object to the ticket price and fee increase and that is their business and they are entitled to their opinions. Some posters have suggested that they are happy with mediocrity and would be happy with 5 or 6 win seasons and lower ticket prices. Again, they are entitled to their opinion. I however, do not share their sentiments. If the Gophers have any chance of winning and bringing recognition to this fine university the coaches need the facilities in order to recruit and develop student athletes that are successful in the classroom, on the field or court, socially and spiritually.

Nothing good ever comes easy. It will take commitment by the alumni, fans and boosters. I for one have already to made that commitment and I am confident that we will see additional Corporate and private contributions to get us over this hurdle and I fully anticipate shovels in the ground by October. I know this post will not be received well by some but I couldn't care less how they feel about it.

As for me and my house we will support the Gophers. :)

+1 I Just hope that they don't forget to close the door when they leave.

Channel 5, reported tonight two insights. One has the U finalizing details with T. Denny Sanford regarding a donation to the facilities. Second Doogie says he thinks Coughlin will commit soon. He thinks it will be The Gophers and it be another step in a great 2016 class.

Channel 5, reported tonight two insights. One has the U finalizing details with T. Denny Sanford regarding a donation to the facilities. Second Doogie says he thinks Coughlin will commit soon. He thinks it will be The Gophers and it be another step in a of great 2016 class.

I can only pray both of those things are true!

Contrary to the usual cheerleaders here, you are correct. In 2017, when the big increases take effect there will be a significant drop off in season tickets. Better win 8 or more games next 2 years or there will be a huge decline.

i am one that will pay next year but drop the following year if they continue with the forced donations. I will put the cash i would have spent into a very large TV that i will be able to use to watch all the sports i enjoy!

if i attend a game it will be on a game by game basis and most likely if the scalpers force the donations onto the tickets i wont go. too many other places to see a game

Contrary to the usual cheerleaders here, you are correct. In 2017, when the big increases take effect there will be a significant drop off in season tickets. Better win 8 or more games next 2 years or there will be a huge decline.

I don't think winning will cure the attendance issue here in Minnesota. way too many other areas to spend those disposable monies. this might be a huge mistake for the U (just like the parking formula they attempted at the tailgating lots) kind of makes me wonder what they are teaching at the Carlson school? Supply and demand has to be still talked about in Econ 101 doesn't it?

I don't think winning will cure the attendance issue here in Minnesota. way too many other areas to spend those disposable monies. this might be a huge mistake for the U (just like the parking formula they attempted at the tailgating lots) kind of makes me wonder what they are teaching at the Carlson school? Supply and demand has to be still talked about in Econ 101 doesn't it?

I tend to agree. My take is the first 2 years of seat license fees were acceptable to most people. However in the middle of a huge fund raising campaign to announce the 3rd year of the largest fee increase was what has most people complaining about. That simply was not good marketing. They should have waited to see the ticket sale results from the first two years of increases before deciding on a third round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gopher football program is at a crossroads that is going to determine it's future. If a large percentage of the Gopher fanbase decides they only want cheap seats or else they will stay home and watch the games on TV, then the Board of Regents needs to seriously consider whether the U should continue to participate in big time college football. If Gopher fans don't want to pay what fans of their Big 10 peers or the Top 25 Division I football programs in the country pay for their seats, then maybe trying to compete with NDSU is all the U can afford and ever hope to achieve. After all, local football fans can always go to Vikings games if they want to see top notch football. We all know Ziggy needs every dime he can get his hands on to help him pay for his new stadium.

The Gopher football program is at a crossroads that is going to determine it's future. If a large percentage of the Gopher fanbase decides they only want cheap seats or else they will stay home and watch the games on TV, then the Board of Regents needs to seriously consider whether the U should continue to participate in big time college football. If Gopher fans don't want to pay what fans of their Big 10 peers or the Top 25 Division I football programs in the country pay for their seats, then maybe trying to compete with NDSU is all the U can afford and ever hope to achieve. After all, local football fans can always go to Vikings games if they want to see top notch football. We all know Ziggy needs every dime he can get his hands on to help him pay for his new stadium.

http://youtu.be/UfOqXFcycB8

Top Bottom