Please run for office Mr. Calhoun!

Bob Knight may not have been so nice with that reporter had he been posed the same question. Sometimes I wish Bob were still coaching if only for the headlines and quotes.

I vote for Buzz Williams over Jim Calhoun.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/40133722.html

"We’re all overpaid, if you really want to break it down. We’re all overpaid."

Among the topics touched upon by MU coach Buzz Williams at his media availability session prior to practice on Monday was the heated exchange Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun had with a 'journalist' following his team's game Sunday when he was asked about his $1.6 million salary.

Williams was asked what he'd do if somebody said he was overpaid.

"This probably won't get aired, but I'll say it to you guys as men. I don’t know if I’m overpaid or underpaid, but I’m very humbled and honored to be the coach at Marquette," he said. "I think sometimes we get carried away and we forget that this is college athletics, and it’s about those guys out there. And it’s not even really about how many games they win or how many points they score; it’s about how we add value to their lives.

"I think if you really want to talk about pressure, you ought to talk about the neurosurgeons out at Children’s Hospital that right now are probably trying to save somebody’s life. And if you really want to talk about pressure, you really ought to talk about the family that eats cereal for breakfast, has the same thing for dinner, and they’re just trying to make sure they’re paying their light bill.

"We’re talking about having 19,000 in here and it’s on TV and Dick Vitale’s coming and UConn’s No. 1 or 2 or whatever they are. Man, that’s an unbelievable blessing. But that’s not real life. Real life is what these guys are when they’re 36, when they’re 46. How much money do I make? I make a lot of money. More money than I’ve ever made, and I’m incredibly happy.

"But not because it’s for me, but my wife and my three children – about to be four children – they can call this place home. And that’s priceless to me. So they could probably pay me a lot less and I’d still be the head coach here. I don’t have an agent, I didn’t negotiate my contract. They said, ‘This is what the deal is,’ and I said, ‘Where do you want me to sign?’

"And that’s the way I’ve always been. I’ve never asked for a dollar on any job, and probably been overpaid at every job because I’m not smart enough to be in any other profession. But when you talk about pressure, it’s the guys at the Milwaukee Fire Department, when they’re trying to save a kid’s life when a building’s burning up. This stuff right here? We’re all overpaid, if you really want to break it down. We’re all overpaid.

Dick Vital thinks that he should earn more money.

Dick Vital thinks that he should earn more money.

He's right about bringing in big $ for the school, just like "overpaid" NBA players. Coaches that lose $ every year (all women's sports and most men's sports) should have their salaries looked at first. The point is that he should be humble about it like Buzz Williams, and keep what he does in perspective.

Wow. Nice stuff from Buzz Williams. I'll be tuning in to hear him in the future. And I do believe there is precedent for quotable coaches who have held court at Marquette.

Top Bottom