Player development and next year

fryguy22

Maroon and Gold from birth
Reaction score
There is a big disconnect in what people think this team will do next year. Some think this is a blip on the radar and we will return to being an NCAA team (hopefully off the bubble) next year. Others say the situation looks grim for next year. One person ridiculously says we will be the worst team in the conference next year (dboy).

Obviously it's all going to depend on player development. Some have knocked Tubby's teams here in MN for not showing it....well now is the time.
- Rodney needs to make huge strides.
- The freshmen have to "become sophomores" (especially would like to see what Austin does)
- Ralph and Colt need to play assertive and lead like seniors
- Trevor needs to come back and develop more of a post game (and keep being a beast)
- This year's RS players must show the progress they made this year

If MOST of these things happen and the new freshmen are as advertised we will be in pretty good shape. Let's go guys, it's time to get to work.....offseason is the time to improve!

I like your optimism, and I think all of these steps are attainable. Get back on the horse, Gophs.

Agree 100%. OK players, ready,set, DEVELOP!

As good as Ahamisi looked covering Battle, he looked equally bad today. When you can't make a stop you aren't going to win. I don't see the team improving that much next year, bottom third of big ten.

EVERY player needs to learn how to shoot over the summer, I can't remember a worse shooting Gopher team. Monson would have never needed those bubbles he put over the rims for rebounding drills!

EVERY player needs to learn how to shoot over the summer, I can't remember a worse shooting Gopher team. Monson would have never needed those bubbles he put over the rims for rebounding drills!

they needed to learn last summer... and the summer b4, etc.. keep reaching for excuses.

If only we had a practice facility.....LOL I kid, I kid

they needed to learn last summer... and the summer b4, etc.. keep reaching for excuses.

You are a troll and non-fan dbag...please go away...your hate is not welcome here.

i hope the players do develope. maybe they need kevin Mchale, trent tucker, and other notable alums still around the state to talk to the kids and help guide them. I am sure Tuuby has done that already though, so not sure what can be done. here is hoping Hollins comes here this summer and plays in the Howard Pulley league with some of the bigs so he can work on how they like the ball delivered to them in the post. Coleman too, but i would assume he is playing in a league already.

If we find some outside shooters, our bigs will automatically improve.

Right now, from the looks of it, they are not going to have any outside shooting. Armelin and Ahamisi at times, but that could be it. I compare Hollins shooting to Kevin Payton, might as well not bother to take an outside shot. Hopefully Oseniak will provide a boost.

I'll wait until the early season pickers have their say how the BT will shake out, they picked the Gophs at 7 and were overly optimistic, I'm figuring 7th next year will be a good showing

I am hoping the gophers play a really easy non-conference schedule next year. They need to win some games early to get "it" back.
Clearly this team from the best player to the worst player lost the confidence and swagger at some point. They must get it back a little bit.

Right now, from the looks of it, they are not going to have any outside shooting. Armelin and Ahamisi at times, but that could be it. I compare Hollins shooting to Kevin Payton, might as well not bother to take an outside shot. Hopefully Oseniak will provide a boost.

Why not mention Andre? Anyone who has seen him play knows he is a very good shooter. I suppose you chose to ignore him because if you actually acknowledged him you would have less reason to complain.

I would keep the expectations for next year low. However, I would not be at all surprised to see us back in the NCAA next year.

there is a long ways to go before next season and alot of things have to play out before we even know what the roster will look like so making predictions is pretty difficult. Still uncertain who will fill the remaining open spots and replacing guys like Nolen, Trevor, and Blake will not be easy. There is also the possibility of a big addition or at least a very juicy rumor of one, but he would not be able to help next year.

who will fill the remaining open spots and replacing guys like Nolen, Trevor, and Blake will not be easy.
Coming from you JG, this is a pretty big development that will have a huge impact on next year...are you saying Mbakwe is gone?

Why not mention Andre? Anyone who has seen him play knows he is a very good shooter. I suppose you chose to ignore him because if you actually acknowledged him you would have less reason to complain.

When was the last time a Freshman really made an impact at Minnesota, Humphries? I haven't seen Andre play but I highly doubt he will make that big of an impact next year.

Coming from you JG, this is a pretty big development that will have a huge impact on next year...are you saying Mbakwe is gone?

Certainly looks that way. People change their minds though so I don't know if this is a for sure thing yet or not. If JohnnyGopher says otherwise I will believe him, but hopefully it's not 100%. As for the other comment regarding the rumor, that's going to kill me until I figure out who he is talking about haha.

Trent Lockett coming home? Rumors are that Herb Sendek might be leaving Arizona State for Providence or another job.

When was the last time a Freshman really made an impact at Minnesota, Humphries? I haven't seen Andre play but I highly doubt he will make that big of an impact next year.

I don't think he is going to be a first team All-American, but having seen him play several times and with the success he is having this year I think he has a realistic chance of being one of our top 3 leading scorers as a freshman. If Mbakwe truly doesn't return it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he leads the team in scoring next year. Only time will tell though. Even if he doesn't make a huge impact right away I think he will be a guy that helps this team a lot for 4 years and will likely be a fan favorite.

most everyone thinks he is gone and that the decision was made months ago, doesn't matter what people think of his pro potential or draft status, he is just ready to move on and if he can get the right deal in europe, he would take it if the nba doesn't come calling. If everything fell through, then maybe he would re-consider but tubby is obviously recruiting big men in addition to guards knowing he is gonna have multiple spots to fill.

most everyone thinks he is gone and that the decision was made months ago, doesn't matter what people think of his pro potential or draft status, he is just ready to move on and if he can get the right deal in europe, he would take it if the nba doesn't come calling. If everything fell through, then maybe he would re-consider but tubby is obviously recruiting big men in addition to guards knowing he is gonna have multiple spots to fill.
Makes sense.

Based on his thinly-veiled comments lately, I figured he was good as gone as well. I would selfishly like him back next year, but I can see why he would need to go pro: I don't think his stock will be much higher next year, he'll be graduating this spring, wants to provide for his family, etc.

Disappoitning to hear as a fan for selfish reasons, but if he feels thats the best decision for him I'm not going to hold it against him. Thanks for the info. Any clues regarding the rumor or is that something that needs to stay quiet for the time being?

We can go by committee at PG in the next season although I would love to see a younger player getting extensive minutes at the position for the sake of long term planning. Even if we don't land a Juco PG, things may work out better in the long run. I guess I don't have a lot of confidence in Juco PGs.

No need to be pessimistic about the next season while keeping it realistic. Even with the current roster sans Blake and TM with the addition of a good guard prospect, we may be able to do some damage in the next season as we still have some decent working pieces and plenty of time for the coaches and the players to plan and prepare.

there is a long ways to go before next season and alot of things have to play out before we even know what the roster will look like so making predictions is pretty difficult. Still uncertain who will fill the remaining open spots and replacing guys like Nolen, Trevor, and Blake will not be easy. There is also the possibility of a big addition or at least a very juicy rumor of one, but he would not be able to help next year.

I am also very interested in this part. Why wouldn't he be able to help next year? Either he is transferring or is a 2013 recruit...

I am also very interested in this part. Why wouldn't he be able to help next year? Either he is transferring or is a 2013 recruit...

Yup, either a transfer or a 2012 prospect or even younger. A commit from Tyus would be amazing, but I'm not counting on him comitting anywhere this early haha. If he hypothetically did though that excitement would make up for the disappointment from the way this season ended.

We can go by committee at PG in the next season although I would love to see a younger player getting extensive minutes at the position for the sake of long term planning. Even if we don't land a Juco PG, things may work out better in the long run. I guess I don't have a lot of confidence in Juco PGs.

No need to be pessimistic about the next season while keeping it realistic. Even with the current roster sans Blake and TM with the addition of a good guard prospect, we may be able to do some damage in the next season as we still have some decent working pieces and plenty of time for the coaches and the players to plan and prepare.

We sort of tried a PG by committee once Al went down, and we all know how that worked out. If we don't land a JUCO PG, hand the keys to Andre Hollins, give him 30-35min a night and let him learn on the job.

Top Bottom