Player Attrition

THE Chitown Gopher

Reaction score
is there a 'final' list of players who have left the program?
I have heard several, but none more than one time.

Kill seemed to indicate there would be several and we would be under the 85 schollys allowed.

All in all it seems like there have less defection bombshells after this change cycle involved with switching head coaches than there typically has been with the "stability" of having the same coach, Brewster, in the past few years. Perhaps my impression is off. I don't have the numbers to back up this impression.

From what I hear, J Edwards = Goner. Not sure about anyone else though.

Jewan Edwards would be a huge loss. Grades? Transfer?

Isn't he going to be a senior?? Seems like a weird time to voluntarily leave the program.

Kill has made some statements regarding Minnesota being under the scholarship limits. I hope there aren't too many defections. And yeah, it is rumored that Jewhan is gone. If so it's a shame. He has come along well, and with the right coaching could have had a monster senior year.

Kill has made some statements regarding Minnesota being under the scholarship limits. I hope there aren't too many defections. And yeah, it is rumored that Jewhan is gone. If so it's a shame. He has come along well, and with the right coaching could have had a monster senior year.

Mike Max reported that we would be at about 80 with rules for replacing defections.

I would think we would need a lot more than three to leave before the 80 number was true (http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=26356).

I don't think it would take much more attrition than merely Edwards, Stoudermire, Wright, B. Allen to put us right around 80.

I guess that depends on which of the walk-ons will be on scholarship. Mottla, Hahn, Cotton, Henderson, and AJ Barker are all WO's who could also have been granted scholarships.

I assume these guys are in the appeal process that Kill mentioned with Sid and Dave on Sunday.

Did he enter the draft in time?

He didn't, but he could file to be in a supplemental draft after the NFL draft. I don't know the exact procedure for that, but there usually is a supplemental draft every year or so.

Do people actually think Edwards is a draftable player or was this meant to be a joke? He is a large young man and has made a few plays, but he appears to be about 40 lbs overweight, quite slow and terribly out of shape from a lack of conditioning. I can't see him being drafted. If only some of the stories I have read about Edwards discipline issues are true, this might be addition by subtraction from Coach Kill's perspective. I have seen many comments that Edwards won't be back, but does anyone really have the facts?

Do people actually think Edwards is a draftable player or was this meant to be a joke? He is a large young man and has made a few plays, but he appears to be about 40 lbs overweight, quite slow and terribly out of shape from a lack of conditioning. I can't see him being drafted. If only some of the stories I have read about Edwards discipline issues are true, this might be addition by subtraction from Coach Kill's perspective. I have seen many comments that Edwards won't be back, but does anyone really have the facts?

I actually do think he is draftable. He was our best player against Iowa and played better than any DL in that game. He has the talent to play at the next level and I think he has a chance to be a late pick and if not he'll be an UFA.

I don't think he is leaving because of overwhelming pressure to enter the draft. I think it could be a combo of a few things. He seemed to indicate that he wanted to make a gamble on his future and leaving now would be that gamble.

My draft comment was that if he flunked out he could have entered the draft. I think he could play at the next level, but you need some smarts even to do that.

I actually do think he is draftable. He was our best player against Iowa and played better than any DL in that game. He has the talent to play at the next level and I think he has a chance to be a late pick and if not he'll be an UFA.

I don't think he is leaving because of overwhelming pressure to enter the draft. I think it could be a combo of a few things. He seemed to indicate that he wanted to make a gamble on his future and leaving now would be that gamble.

Being our best DL against Iowa doesn't make him......good. Our DL was horrible last year. Every player. All year. Edwards needed to come back and have a solid season if he wanted a shot at being drafted. I don't think he's smart enough to realize that, though.

Being our best DL against Iowa doesn't make him......good. Our DL was horrible last year. Every player. All year. Edwards needed to come back and have a solid season if he wanted a shot at being drafted. I don't think he's smart enough to realize that, though.

How much film have you broken down? Just because our defense was bad last year doesn't mean every single player sucks.

I watched the defensive line for quite awhile against Ohio State. The defensive line got blown out without exception. I don't see Edwards getting drafted.

How much film have you broken down? Just because our defense was bad last year doesn't mean every single player sucks.

Well coach......I stand by what i said. I watched the games and i did pay attention to the D-Line. The thing that drew my attention to the d-line was the incredible lack of production. I watched. I saw what happened. Poor play. By everyone.

I'm sure you're at home in front of the old projector right now, but when you're done breaking down the game tapes would you come back in here and give your in-depth & expert analysis on Jewhan Edwards please?

Thanks

It makes him pretty good in that game. He was able to absolutely dominate the the Iowa OL in that game so he wasn't horrible "all year" being that the Iowa game was part of the "year". My Iowa point wasn't to say that he did good against Iowa and therefore had a really good year, it was merely to point out he is athletic and talented enough to ever be capable of having a game like that.

I still think Edwards is a late pick/UFA.

The mere fact that a player is on a bad team doesn't make him "horrible". Dom Barber played on just as bad of a defense and he is in the NFL.

It makes him pretty good in that game. He was able to absolutely dominate the the Iowa OL in that game so he wasn't horrible "all year" being that the Iowa game was part of the "year". My Iowa point wasn't to say that he did good against Iowa and therefore had a really good year, it was merely to point out he is athletic and talented enough to ever be capable of having a game like that.

I still think Edwards is a late pick/UFA.

The mere fact that a player is on a bad team doesn't make him "horrible". Dom Barber played on just as bad of a defense and he is in the NFL.

Let me be clear: I was not maligning the entire defense. I was saying that the D-line as a unit had a bad year, and that no player in that unit had a good year. Not one. Not Edwards, Kirksey.......not one D-lineman had a "good" season.

Edwards made a few plays against Iowa and helped in getting the victory. I wouldn't say he dominated, but he made few plays. However, as a whole, his season was poor. He was invisible 99% of the time, and i found that surprising. If you had asked me to identify the strength of the D before the season i would have said Kirksey and Edwards.

Well put dude. Edwards is overhyped and overrated by Tim 'The Hype Machine' Brewster. He claimed we would have one of the best d-lines in the country. Quite frankly, if look at stats such as QB hurries and sacks, they were one of the worst. No way would Edwards get drafted this year. Dude has ZERO work ethic.

Let me be clear: I was not maligning the entire defense. I was saying that the D-line as a unit had a bad year, and that no player in that unit had a good year. Not one. Not Edwards, Kirksey.......not one D-lineman had a "good" season.

Edwards made a few plays against Iowa and helped in getting the victory. I wouldn't say he dominated, but he made few plays. However, as a whole, his season was poor. He was invisible 99% of the time, and i found that surprising. If you had asked me to identify the strength of the D before the season i would have said Kirksey and Edwards.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but if you didn't think Jewhan Edwards dominated in that game, go back and watch it again. He was our best player in that game (and I personally hate the kid's attitude and all that).

Now keep in mind that I am not saying that Jewhan Edwards had a good season, but the idea that he had a terrible season isn't quite accurate.

-He led the team in sacks (3). This isn't impressive on it's own unless you keep in mind that he was our NT last season, he was the Pat Williams of our defense and wasn't really supposed to be counted on to give a huge pass rush. For a NT type of player, 3 sacks isn't bad.

-Jewhan Edwards led the team in TFL (13.5) which was right on par (and more than some) of the best defensive lineman in the entire conference (C. Heyward, C. Liugett, K. Klug).

Any word on Stoudermire? I never thought we'd see Wright play, but the Stoudermire news kind of surprises me based on his change of attitude last season.

Well coach......I stand by what i said. I watched the games and i did pay attention to the D-Line. The thing that drew my attention to the d-line was the incredible lack of production. I watched. I saw what happened. Poor play. By everyone.

I'm sure you're at home in front of the old projector right now, but when you're done breaking down the game tapes would you come back in here and give your in-depth & expert analysis on Jewhan Edwards please?

Thanks

1. I never said I was any kind of an expert.
2. But I have broken down film many times before when I coached, so I do know that there were times when it looked like a certain player or group played very poorly. But then you watch the film afterwards and you see it wasn't that bad. Some people (not necessarily you, just fans in general) don't always understand that it's not all 11 guys on the field's responsibility to make the tackle ever play. That's especially true for DTs. If 10 guys on defense are in perfect position on a run play but the MLB misses the tackle, then it could turn a no gainer into an 8 yard gain.
3. I either read your post too fast or was distracted because I thought you were referring to the defense as a whole and not just the DL. I apologize, my bad.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that if the NFL and the players don't come together on a new CBA that no teams will be allowed to sign UFAs, including the undrafted kids. If you are entering the draft as a underclassman this year who is uncertain you will be selected it seems like a terrible decision this year.

There is about a 75% chance right now that there will be no NFL season. A lot of NFL players will be going to the UFL or Canada, so that leaves indoor football for these guys. Good luck.

Top Bottom