Play Calling

rccola889

Student
Reaction score
What is the point of spending the whole second half trying to establish the run? We opened things up in the end and got to the goal line in 2 plays. Decker barely got the ball thrown to him the second half because we were too busy unsuccessfully trying to run.

and why run play action with less than 1 minute to go and we have 90 yards to go. Did we honestly think we were going to fool anyone?

I thought we ran the ball fine.

I dont get why we do a fade to decker when we are on the 1yard line !! just stupid play calling.

...he was wide open though...but the pick at the goal line that was called back pissed me off a lot

We did run the ball fine. And I absolutely hate our play calling, but other teams seem to do the same things that drive me crazy so there must be some reason. To me what is continually missing is 2nd and short situations. It's weird. We throw too much on first down, and then we run too much on 2nd and 10. I don't get it. Like we're trying to trick them all the time. Run the damn ball and execute. Throw when you have to or they're over playing the run.

I understand that the mantra of establishing the run first is passe' but, I don't think that means you have to forego the run to establish the pass either. Run first see what you can do and control the clock if you can. They never stopped our run, we just never gave it a chance to control the game in the way that it might have.

Plus this is the third straight game the DE has over pursued the QB, and we've done nothing to punish the lack of containment. Make them think a little.

Now take out the sacks and QB scrambles from passing plays stupid sucky badger and recalculate. Over 4 ypg on running plays dickwad.

I dont get why we do a fade to decker when we are on the 1yard line !! just stupid play calling.

That wasn't the play that was called because the OL was run blocking. Weber had to have made a signal to Decker to run the fade.

Gophers:
Rushes-28
Yards-57
Average Yards per Rush 2.0

Awesome.

Lets be honest. That number is tainted by the sacks that we took. We were up to 89 yards rushing at one ponit and then after being sacked numerous times it was down to 57 yards because CFB counts sacks as rushing yds instead of passing like in the NFL.

Now take out the sacks and QB scrambles from passing plays stupid sucky badger and recalculate. Over 4 ypg on running plays dickwad.

Okey Dokey. -27 yards by Weber on 5 carries. That's total of 84 yards rushing on 23 attempts.

Let's see, 84, divided by 23 = 3.65 Yards per carry

Still with me? OK then, here comes the tricky part: 3.65 < 4.00

QED

"Math is hard!" - Barbie

I didn't see the Pittman play but my understanding is that that was a blown up pass as well. So 93 divided by 22??

Even if I'm wrong about the pittman play, 3.65 is workable. Especially when you factor in goal line and short yardage we weren't being stopped. And that is the point, not a math excercise.

Top Bottom