PJ's use of timeouts first half vs MSU

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
PJ used two timeouts in the first half vs MSU.

In the 1st quarter, MSU had the ball with 2:13 left in the first. On third and 8 for MSU, Minnesota called a time out on defense.
Next play Ryan Stapp sacked the QB for a loss. MSU Punt.

The second time out was used with the Gophers in the green zone on 3rd down. After the timeout, Morgan targeted BSF in the endzone but the ball was too high for one of Tanner's three incompletions on the day.

On the final drive, Minnesota with a 17-0 was playing a mix of burn the clock, but keep getting first downs until Tanner Morgan's helmet was ripped from his head which put us near midfield.

After the penalty, the refs started the clock and Potts ran out of bounds with one second left but clock-keeper said no time left. Players ran to the lockerroom before refs said one second left.

At that point, PJ played it safe with the light amount of chaos that was on-going on the field and down the ball to end the half leaving one timeout remaining.

Grade for timeout usage: A

There seems to always be some posts or comments made about our timeout usage during the Fleck era but i will say there normally isn't a lot of "man, sure would be great if we had one of those timeouts right now"

The coaches might use them at strange times here and there but it always seems to find a way of working out.

First half timeouts are much less significant than second half timeouts. They aren’t using them (usually) because they are unprepared or don’t have the play in. Stuff happens. You might hate a look or want to confirm something.

Second half id like to hang on to them in case they are needed to stop the clock late. But I do understand sometimes using them may lead to or prevent a significant play.

First half timeouts are much less significant than second half timeouts. They aren’t using them (usually) because they are unprepared or don’t have the play in. Stuff happens. You might hate a look or want to confirm something.

Second half id like to hang on to them in case they are needed to stop the clock late. But I do understand sometimes using them may lead to or prevent a significant play.
Even in the second half.
Would you rather use two of them to change bad plays into good plays or break even plays or save 70 seconds?

There seems to always be some posts or comments made about our timeout usage during the Fleck era but i will say there normally isn't a lot of "man, sure would be great if we had one of those timeouts right now"

The coaches might use them at strange times here and there but it always seems to find a way of working out.
Yeah I'd rather take the bird in the hand approach and use them than save them for a time where maybe we will need them and maybe we won't. Of course if they are being used due to something like not being lined up properly or other avoidable errors, that is frustrating, but I think PJ's timeout usage gets a little overly criticized.

Yeah I'd rather take the bird in the hand approach and use them than save them for a time where maybe we will need them and maybe we won't. Of course if they are being used due to something like not being lined up properly or other avoidable errors, that is frustrating, but I think PJ's timeout usage gets a little overly criticized.
For sure frustrating

But even then the error isn’t the timeout usage, it’s the lack of execution

Great, now we just need another thread about kickoff and punt returns.... :)

Can't we just have fun with the way the season is going?

Most coaches want to save timeouts when they can so they have them for a potential two-minute drive at the end of the half. But in PJs case he doesn't really appear to believe in two-minute drives, so he has no reservations at using a timeouts more liberally during the normal game situations.

Most coaches want to save timeouts when they can so they have them for a potential two-minute drive at the end of the half. But in PJs case he doesn't really appear to believe in two-minute drives, so he has no reservations at using a timeouts more liberally during the normal game situations.
It's unconventional but maybe it makes sense? If you can save a drive (or prevent points) on 3 different drives by calling a TO at the right time, is that better than saving three timeout for one potential score?

He has said the 1st half is treated differently than the 2nd half. I did notice that Mariano was pissed with the TO in the 1st half. Couldn't tell if he was pissed because he felt he got the guys in the right place late and they still took the TO or that they didn't get the call in quick enough.

It's unconventional but maybe it makes sense? If you can save a drive (or prevent points) on 3 different drives by calling a TO at the right time, is that better than saving three timeout for one potential score?
I love your perfect use of "unconventional". It's only unconventional if you're locked into the old tried and true that is not really necessarily true. I'll bet if someone did an analysis on TO usage, they would find that it is rare that it comes back to bite you. Like anything negative, you remember "that one time," not the 100 times it didn't matter.

IMO, the "saving" of timeouts ends up being important far less often than not saving them. I'd rather reset the defense in the first or early second quarter than worry about having to drive for a late FG. That could be a huge swing. I'd rather face a 3rd and three on my first drive than a 3rd and eight. A shift of momentum in the first or third quarter is just as important as in the second or fourth.

"Unconventional" doesn't mean you're wrong. Recent historical baseball statistics have shown that bunting a runner from first to second with none or one out gains you nothing. You waste an out and the runner at second does not score any more often than a runner at first with the extra out. Yet conventional wisdom says "sacrifice".

I like PJ's style because he's "unconventional".

He has said the 1st half is treated differently than the 2nd half. I did notice that Mariano was pissed with the TO in the 1st half. Couldn't tell if he was pissed because he felt he got the guys in the right place late and they still took the TO or that they didn't get the call in quick enough.

He was pissed that the guys weren't in the right place.

PJ used two timeouts in the first half vs MSU.

In the 1st quarter, MSU had the ball with 2:13 left in the first. On third and 8 for MSU, Minnesota called a time out on defense.
Next play Ryan Stapp sacked the QB for a loss. MSU Punt.

The second time out was used with the Gophers in the green zone on 3rd down. After the timeout, Morgan targeted BSF in the endzone but the ball was too high for one of Tanner's three incompletions on the day.

On the final drive, Minnesota with a 17-0 was playing a mix of burn the clock, but keep getting first downs until Tanner Morgan's helmet was ripped from his head which put us near midfield.

After the penalty, the refs started the clock and Potts ran out of bounds with one second left but clock-keeper said no time left. Players ran to the lockerroom before refs said one second left.

At that point, PJ played it safe with the light amount of chaos that was on-going on the field and down the ball to end the half leaving one timeout remaining.

Grade for timeout usage: A
I liked taking the knee. Why risk a freakish injury?

MSM is very much a "coach on the field" guy. He was very hot when they had to.burn a TO, but it was pretty clear that they did have the right call and/or personnel.

Top Bottom