PJ Fleck on Greg Schiano: 'Huge influence in my life'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Nick:

Greg Schiano’s return to Rutgers didn’t just affect the community in New Jersey. Minnesota head coach PJ Fleck felt the impact across the country.

Fleck, who coached under Schiano during the latter’s first stint in Piscataway and when he left to become the head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, credited Schiano as a big influence in his career. However, the relationship is a little different these days with Schiano coaching in the Big Ten once again.

Fleck opened up on Schiano on the “On the Bench” podcast.

“You could just tell Greg was going to get back into it at some point,” Fleck said. “It was just too perfect of a story. It was set up too perfectly for Greg not to go back there and rebuild it again. Greg’s been such a huge influence in my life. For the last however many years, I've called Greg for a lot of things going on in my career. I worked for him for four years and now as a head coach, I've talked to him for eight years. Now when I call him, he doesn't give me the advice he used to. He's not as open as he usually has been. We've even had a few recruiting battles and I'm like, wait a second, you can't say that about me.

“It's been one of those things like, oh yeah, we are competing against each other now aren't we? I've had to get used to that now because he was one of the guys I would call when I needed something and now it's like, wait, do I give him that information, do I tell him that, do we go down that road? It's unique for sure, but he's been a huge influence in my life.”

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom