PJ Fleck has one area he wants to neutralize this weekend playing Michigan football

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Trent:

The Gophers are leaving Minnesota and heading to Michigan to take on the Wolverines for a battle of the Little Brown Jug. Minnesota is coming off of a 31-14 loss to Iowa and dropped its record to 2-2 on the season. Michigan, on the other hand, is coming off of a crucial win over USC, 27-24. The Wolverines are riding a two-game win streak and Michigan does need to take care of business at home if it wants to contend for a fourth-straight Big Ten title.

Like most coaches, P.J. Fleck recently talked about playing in the Big House and seeing 110,000 people sitting in the stands. Fleck noted how loud Huntington Bank Stadium was this past weekend with the Gophers hosted Iowa and Fleck said Minnesota practices with very loud crowd noise during practice.

"So the environment, we create a lot of that," Fleck said of crowd noise. "You can't hear at our practice anyway, you guys have been there before. Our guys can't hear, but the Big House is not called the Little House. It's called the Big House for a reason. We can't let circumstance dictate our behavior."

Go Gophers!!

It’s not that loud a stadium
Haven't been since the field was lowered in the 1990s, additional rows were added and the new press box/luxury boxes season were added in the late 1990s. Have heard Michigan fans say much louder since these changes.

It’s not that loud a stadium
100% quietest, 110,000 person crowd I have ever witnessed, and I was there for the wins in 2005 and 2014 2 of the 25 total wins. Been there for 3 losses too. They have a really good Irish pub in downtown Ann Arbor. That one handed catch, by Max Williams, is one of the absolute best plays I have ever witnessed a player make as a Gopher. Coach should have either Bryan Cupito or Max Williams, or a Lawrence Maroney speak to the team this week. Cupito took an absolute pounding against Michigan in 2005 (Gary Russell had a phenomenal run and broke a tackle on a stretch play. It is rare that the Gophers outplay Michigan but in both instances that we won, we controlled the clock, the line of scrimmage and surprised them with some really big plays. We had really good special teams play in both of those games. That and it was sunny out.. I have a feeling the weather is going to be cloudy to a bit rainy on Saturday in Ann Arbor. We want to see the Gophers win this game, pull an upset, both our offensive and defensive lines have to play to their potential this Saturday. Both of our lines seemed incredibly calm before those two wins. In the two wins we had the Gophers never once did I see the Gophers look panicked or committing a stupid penalty. John Anderson our baseball coach, his sister used to work at a radio station in Ann Arbor, she stopped us to ask if we had ever been to a Gophers baseball game at Siebert Field as we were crossing the street. To all the Gopher fans going to Ann Arbor this weekend, have fun and bring back the Jug!

Last edited:

The trouble is, this Gopher team decided, consciously, to abandon its one strength...a strong
running attack....in favor of a finesse-oriented passing attack because of a quarterback that transferred. In the past, that has gotten us Salem-like/Wacker-like results against Michigan. I'm wondering if the coaching staff has already pulled our legs out from under us.

The trouble is, this Gopher team decided, consciously, to abandon its one strength...a strong
running attack....in favor of a finesse-oriented passing attack because of a quarterback that transferred. In the past, that has gotten us Salem-like/Wacker-like results against Michigan. I'm wondering if the coaching staff has already pulled our legs out from under us.
They have not abandoned it. It hadn’t been working—producing poor yards per play—so reliance on it has been diminished.

100% quietest, 110,000 person crowd I have ever witnessed, and I was there for the wins in 2005 and 2014 2 of the 25 total wins. Been there for 3 losses too. They have a really good Irish pub in downtown Ann Arbor. That one handed catch, by Max Williams, is one of the absolute best plays I have ever witnessed a player make as a Gopher. Coach should have either Bryan Cupito or Max Williams, or a Lawrence Maroney speak to the team this week. Cupito took an absolute pounding against Michigan in 2005 (Gary Russell had a phenomenal run and broke a tackle on a stretch play. It is rare that the Gophers outplay Michigan but in both instances that we won, we controlled the clock, the line of scrimmage and surprised them with some really big plays. We had really good special teams play in both of those games. That and it was sunny out.. I have a feeling the weather is going to be cloudy to a bit rainy on Saturday in Ann Arbor. We want to see the Gophers win this game, pull an upset, both our offensive and defensive lines have to play to their potential this Saturday. Both of our lines seemed incredibly calm before those two wins. In the two wins we had the Gophers never once did I see the Gophers look panicked or committing a stupid penalty. John Anderson our baseball coach, his sister used to work at a radio station in Ann Arbor, she stopped us to ask if we had ever been to a Gophers baseball game at Siebert Field as we were crossing the street. To all the Gopher fans going to Ann Arbor this weekend, have fun and bring back the Jug!
The first time I was there in 97' it was loud for a few moments. IIRC the score was like 27-3. We scored 3 and it was 27 unanswered points after that? Anyway, it wasn't noisy for long. They had a MNC team that year. Woodson, and Glenn Steele (sp?) were other word good that day.

BTW I've heard Zingerman's Deli is a good spot if you like Deli food. Zingerman's Deli - Ann Arbor

The first time I was there in 97' it was loud for a few moments. IIRC the score was like 27-3. We scored 3 and it was 27 unanswered points after that? Anyway, it wasn't noisy for long. They had a MNC team that year. Woodson, and Glenn Steele (sp?) were other word good that day.

BTW I've heard Zingerman's Deli is a good spot if you like Deli food. Zingerman's Deli - Ann Arbor
A lot like my experience in '07(?). Gophers took a 10-0 lead, the TD on a defensive scoop & score, then 0-34 after that

My friend at the time got tickets to the Indinia game about 20 years ago. I've been in louder mortuaries.

Top Bottom