PJ Fleck enthusiastic about Minnesota’s chances in new Big Ten

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Lynn:

Although the Golden Gophers are coming off a losing campaign, their head coach is confident they’ll show improvement this upcoming season, and make a statement in the Big Ten.

PJ Fleck is the third-longest tenured coach in the conference, and could potentially be fielding his best team yet. With Oregon, UCLA, USC and Washington set to officially join the Big Ten on August 2, Fleck knows he has to do whatever it takes to keep Minnesota from being a needle in the haystack.

The Golden Gophers have momentum approaching fall camp, considering they’re coming off their fifth-straight bowl win. Fleck and his staff put the team through intense practices over the spring, and now the pieces are in place to make a run at the conference title. Most importantly, everyone is healthy.

Fleck’s longevity speaks volumes, especially with the fierce competition is in today’s game. The secret to Fleck’s success is the way he continues to evolve with the sport. He’s grateful to have an Athletic Director like Mark Coyle, who’s been by Fleck’s side since he took the job in Minneapolis.

“We’re going to bring culture sustainability back to Minnesota,” Fleck said. “You look at all of the successful coaches that have been at Minnesota for a long period of time, and they all had sustainability with the same culture, and we’re doing everything we can to keep that culture sustainability in place.”

The Golden Gophers are known for being a run-oriented team under Fleck. It’s hard to argue against that when he used Mohamed Ibrahim as a battering ram for several seasons, and he ended up as Minnesota’s all-time leading rusher. However, Fleck wants to make changes to the offense, and establish a new identity. Offensive Coordinators Greg Harbaugh Jr., and Matt Simon will have a variety of ways to move the ball this fall in Fleck’s mind.

“When we’re talking about the passing game, we want that to be way better, we want to be more balanced, but we also have to have the personnel to do that, which I think we have,” he said. “We’re deeper, and if we stay healthy we can be balanced, and be consistent on the offensive side of the ball.”

Go Gophers!!

Hopefully the gophers can surprise some teams and prognosticators this season
It has been years of "the West sucks so bad, the schedule is so easy, MN should win it easily" to "now we'll never win with a divisionless 18 team conference"....wouldn't it be something if MN could actually thrive in the new B1G and catch everyone by surprise?

Challenging opponents means Gophers are in the Big league.

Gophers D needs to prove itself.

Would be nice if the wide receivers are as good as their potential, a common concern I hear from veteran fans.

I think the offense could be dynamite this season.

The Gophers have been proving they can play good football under PJ Fleck. They need a break in recruiting the right set of talent like the 2019 Gophers.

I am optimistic about the new QB. The Gophers will steal a couple of games.

To me, it’s not always about wins and losses. It’s about coming out and playing with a good plan and fighting down to the end. To me, PJ really has to up his game day and then what was really disappointing too is against some of the Ohio states and Michigans sometimes I think he just tries to get the game over and get out of town.

If the line stays at 4.5-5.5 wins, I’ll be making a trip across the Iowa border to Diamond Jo’s. Last year I thought the line was pretty accurate and didn’t make the trip. This year the line is crazy low in my opinion.
I just looked, and pretty much every book in Iowa has the Gophers over 5.5 at basically even money. Hopefully it stays somewhere around there and I can get a nice profit boost deal to go with it closer to the opener

I just looked, and pretty much every book in Iowa has the Gophers over 5.5 at basically even money. Hopefully it stays somewhere around there and I can get a nice profit boost deal to go with it closer to the opener
I like to set up a golf outing at Willingers in Northfield, and then drive down to Diamond Jo's while I'm at least down south of the metro.

Top Bottom