PJ Fleck at Timberwolves game

die hard gopher

Reaction score
I didn't see the interview but he got one with Jim and Dave in the second quarter. Anyone see it? He also got mentioned on SportsCenter when they showed this game along with his Row the Boat mantra.

Word has it PJ and his family wanted to be closer to or in a big city... it seems he is enjoying it.

saw him there. fun guy, loved seeing him during Wiggins dunk.... his arms were so high his shirt came up... hilarious!

There's no NBA in Iowa City. Just saying.

He wasn't Elite enough to throw me a shirt in the 2nd deck!

Seriously though, the guy can fling a shirt with the best of them.

The man loves his basketball. Been to just about every home game for the Gophers and the Wolves since he came here.

The man loves his basketball. Been to just about every home game for the Gophers and the Wolves since he came here.

I think that part about him is great. There should be more coaches that attend each other's events and show support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I would have watched this one on TV. The other night Jim Petersen was really razzing PJ. I'm not the biggest rah-rah guy in the world, but it was actually pretty annoying.

Not good!!!! If you are going to talk the talk...you better walk the walk. If you are going to be on TV...if you are going to meet a man in a suit...and one of your core principles is shirts with collars...well, you should probably never been captured without a collar on in public. Players hate do as I say, don't worry about what I do kinda stuff...it erodes trust. It's his deal not mine, just my observation.
https://twitter.com/Coach_Fleck/status/826284920943304705/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Not good!!!! If you are going to talk the talk...you better walk the walk. If you are going to be on TV...if you are going to meet a man in a suit...and one of your core principles is shirts with collars...well, you should probably never been captured without a collar on in public. Players hate do as I say, don't worry about what I do kinda stuff...it erodes trust. It's his deal not mine, just my observation.
https://twitter.com/Coach_Fleck/status/826284920943304705/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Oh, no! We're doomed!

He wants them to wear the collared shirts to class. I don't think it applies to sporting events. But since you brought it up, I was surprised to see the casual garb as well, since he almost always wears a tie and dress slacks in public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, no! We're doomed!

I knew I could count on you. Just an observation from years of coaching. Sorry, but players fuss over stuff like this. All depends how inconsistent and frequent other little dents are. It's one of downsides to having too many dang many rules. You box yourself in. There's no wiggle room. You can argue that's good. Everybody successful coaching has to do what they believe. Just a little bit too much Napoleon for me. I love the enthusiasm, positivity and the energy. Also, don't know how these things are presented or framed...we are getting this from a newspaper guy after all.

I wish I would have watched this one on TV. The other night Jim Petersen was really razzing PJ. I'm not the biggest rah-rah guy in the world, but it was actually pretty annoying.
He stayed away from it tonight. After the sideline interview with Marney, they cut back to Dave/Jim. Dave said something about how PJ got the word elite into the interview, and Jim kinda mumbled something like "I'm staying out of it"

I knew I could count on you. Just an observation from years of coaching. Sorry, but players fuss over stuff like this. All depends how inconsistent and frequent other little dents are. It's one of downsides to having too many dang many rules. You box yourself in. There's no wiggle room. You can argue that's good. Everybody successful coaching has to do what they believe. Just a little bit too much Napoleon for me. I love the enthusiasm, positivity and the energy. Also, don't know how these things are presented or framed...we are getting this from a newspaper guy after all.

You're complaining because you think players care that their coach didn't wear a collared tie to the timberwolves game? Really reaching

He stayed away from it tonight. After the sideline interview with Marney, they cut back to Dave/Jim. Dave said something about how PJ got the word elite into the interview, and Jim kinda mumbled something like "I'm staying out of it"

I loved to watch Jim play so I am glad he is 'staying out of it'.

Even online there are not too many pictures of Coach Fleck without a collared shirt and tie. I found one on the sideline at Tampa Bay. I found another with him jumping through a hole in ice with a bathing suit on. Written across his chest: ROW THE BOAT.

My company is suit and tie required onsite with clients or at marketing events during event hours (female account executives not included there of course). That is so embedded in our culture that if we ever go to an event where I want ties to come off, some of my folks struggle with it. Our office is casual and after hours, even at events, it is almost always casual. I think it is important for my folks to see me letting my hair down (unfortunately figuratively). I like the fact that he is out with his family and shows us that side of him too.

I loved to watch Jim play so I am glad he is 'staying out of it'.

Even online there are not too many pictures of Coach Fleck without a collared shirt and tie. I found one on the sideline at Tampa Bay. I found another with him jumping through a hole in ice with a bathing suit on. Written across his chest: ROW THE BOAT.

My company is suit and tie required onsite with clients or at marketing events during event hours (female account executives not included there of course). That is so embedded in our culture that if we ever go to an event where I want ties to come off, some of my folks struggle with it. Our office is casual and after hours, even at events, it is almost always casual. I think it is important for my folks to see me letting my hair down (unfortunately figuratively). I like the fact that he is out with his family and shows us that side of him too.

Well that and let's be clear.... players can go out and be casual too.

Are you sure....I mean they have to wear a shirt with a collar to class now....that is the height of uptight fancy fashion there.. :)

This is not directed at you because you seem very level headed but I love that something as simple as essentially saying don't wear a t-shirt to class is enough to get some riled up on this board. The crowd that doesn't like Fleck is determined to latch onto anything he says/does and turn it into some sort of negative.

Okay then! Please let me know if I am missing something. I made a light attempt to go online to look up the specifics of his dress code. All I could find are collard shirts while sitting in the front row of classes. I would think that applies to game day activities, getting off the plane/bus, interviews, etc., when not in uniform. I don't see where it states anything about after hours, going out to eat, going to movies or other such activities, etc.

I believe that Brew was all talk and although I supported him publicly, I knew his shtick would run out of hot chili fairly quickly. I actually see Coach Fleck as not just talking the talk but walking the walk, leading by example. The man appears to be the real McCoy. We are getting exactly what we see, which means he leads by example, not to mention that he can actually coach. That tells me that he wants his young men to also be human.

Let me know if I am missing something.

saw him there. fun guy, loved seeing him during Wiggins dunk.... his arms were so high his shirt came up... hilarious!

Imagine if Claeys had seen that dunk!

Dressing up for class and on travel is different than at all times of day. If I saw my boss at a Timberwolves game I sure wouldn't expect them to be all dressed up.

Dressing up for class and on travel is different than at all times of day. If I saw my boss at a Timberwolves game I sure wouldn't expect them to be all dressed up.

Let me start this out by saying that I don't care about a dress code.

Fleck was still representing the U at the game. I am sure he knew he'd be interviewed. He wasn't just hanging out with his wife, this was an organized marketing event. That said, I don't care what he wore. It never crossed my mind when I saw the pictures.

I also don't really get the "no hats or headphones" in the athletic facility thing. But whatever, to each their own.

You're complaining because you think players care that their coach didn't wear a collared tie to the timberwolves game? Really reaching

Is it much different than people here caring if the players wear a hat at an athletic facility?

You could not be more wrong about this....it is a massive deal that Fleck was seen in public not wearing a suit and tie.....the fact that he would attend a sporting event in comfortable clothing is the biggest issue to hit the Minnesota sporting landscape ever....

And it has not even been mentioned that he had the nerve to wear a blue shirt to a timberwolves game. What does that mean....is he trying to get the Penn State job....where was the U of M logo?....so much intrigue over this vital issue of dress code...I am sure the players can't even focus on anything else today while they sit in class wearing their restrictive collared shirt that their coach had the nerve to not wear last night.

You could not be more wrong about this....it is a massive deal that Fleck was seen in public not wearing a suit and tie.....the fact that he would attend a sporting event in comfortable clothing is the biggest issue to hit the Minnesota sporting landscape ever....

And it has not even been mentioned that he had the nerve to wear a blue shirt to a timberwolves game. What does that mean....is he trying to get the Penn State job....where was the U of M logo?....so much intrigue over this vital issue of dress code...I am sure the players can't even focus on anything else today while they sit in class wearing their restrictive collared shirt that their coach had the nerve to not wear last night.

He gone

Sarcasm meter pegged!

Let me start this out by saying that I don't care about a dress code.

Fleck was still representing the U at the game. I am sure he knew he'd be interviewed. He wasn't just hanging out with his wife, this was an organized marketing event. That said, I don't care what he wore. It never crossed my mind when I saw the pictures.

I also don't really get the "no hats or headphones" in the athletic facility thing. But whatever, to each their own.

I don't really care that much either way about the policies either. If I had to pick one that makes the most sense it would be the no-earbud policy (need to be "present" with your teammates, coaches, etc.).

I heard Bobby Knight once talk about taking care of the smaller details and the bigger things will fall into place. I think Fleck is trying to focus on some smaller details to (hate using this phrase) create a culture that details matter. I think it's one of those things that would probably be hard to measure its effectiveness though.

Top Bottom