<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Pitino called transfer Reggie Lynch a potential All-Big Ten center and NBA prospect.

Sounds good to me... Although NBA prospect might be a little much to buy... He's a post up player that is 6'-9" and not all that fast.

I'd rather hear if he is kicking Kontae's ass in practice or not.

Sounds good to me... Although NBA prospect might be a little much to buy... He's a post up player that is 6'-9" and not all that fast.

I'd rather hear if he is kicking Kontae's ass in practice or not.

It reminds me of years ago when Clem claimed during Trevor Winter's redshirt year that he's so good that the team would be ten points better per game with him. I don't think that turned out to be the case. File this in the "I'll believe it when I see it" folder.

All sounds good for the future but ****ty for the present. Kind of this season in a nutshell

I appreciate that Pitino has to do some "selling" from time to time, but let's keep it within the realm of reason. I attended the scrimmage - Lynch is nowhere near NBA prospect caliber. I know he wants to give players an ego stroke from time to time, but I don't think that level of embellishment does the player nor the team any good. He was saying the same types of things about Lofton who also fell far short of heightened expectations (largely due to Pitino) in scrimmage. Not sure if it was an off day but he looked downright awful, which was aside from poor attitude.

Potential and reality are often two different things. Lynch lead his conference in blocks last year, If he's a beast on defense in the big ten it's not impossible. If Colton Iverson can get drafted I am not ruling Lynch out

Potential and reality are often two different things. Lynch lead his conference in blocks last year, If he's a beast on defense in the big ten it's not impossible. If Colton Iverson can get drafted I am not ruling Lynch out

Iverson is a legit 7-footer. Non-stiffs who are 7 feet tall are rare. Lynch is generously listed at 6'10". He has zero chance at the NBA. I'm sure he can make a decent living overseas if things fall right.

Go Gophers!!

I would say talent and effort. Part of the reason for his success is he is usually the hardest working guy on the court. Never just stands around and watches.

Iverson is a legit 7-footer. Non-stiffs who are 7 feet tall are rare. Lynch is generously listed at 6'10". He has zero chance at the NBA. I'm sure he can make a decent living overseas if things fall right.

Zero chance at NBA is a bit dismissive. Whether the chance is 1 in 5 or 1 in 50 I am not sure, but if he can board and defend there could very well be a role for him in the NBA. First things first.

That's a bit dismissive. He probably won't make it, but it's not impossible

Pitino says most vocal leaders are Kevin Dorsey & Jordan Murphy

Really can't ever recall seeing Murphy talk during a game. Always seemed like the silent type to me.

Pitino says most vocal leaders are Kevin Dorsey & Jordan Murphy

Really can't ever recall seeing Murphy talk during a game. Always seemed like the silent type to me.
Not the first time he has said it. Said it in the beginning of the summer practices that he was the leader.

Pitino doesn't have product to sell so he has to sell hope and image. That's smart.

Pitino doesn't have product to sell so he has to sell hope and image. That's smart.

Whoa there Jamiche......Coach certainly does have a product to sell. First is the product of attending a great university for education. Secondly, experience of playing in the BIG at the highest level of basketball. Third, is the result of the process of the product being offered. GO GOPHERS!

Whoa there Jamiche......Coach certainly does have a product to sell. First is the product of attending a great university for education. Secondly, experience of playing in the BIG at the highest level of basketball. Third, is the result of the process of the product being offered. GO GOPHERS!

I think he's suggesting that this is all that Pitino can currently sell to the fans/his bosses.

Not talking about recruiting. I'm talking about what he is trying to sell to the fan base.

Not talking about recruiting. I'm talking about what he is trying to sell to the fan base.
He's trying to sell the future, which seems like a better idea than selling the present.

How much should we believe about what Richard is saying? Minnesota has been known to hire some salesmen who gave us Pinto's when we wanted a Mercedes.
I am not saying he is lying. I am only saying that we don't know if he is being truthful.

Salesmanship is an invaluable skill set for a head coach, especially at this level. I would never expect Pitino to say after a loss "we're not that good, the other team was much better, I would prefer to have their players"... of course that never happens. My original point was more concerned with Pitino getting carried away and embellishing in his assessments of players. I believe he has mentioned all 3 of Lynch, Lofton, and Fitz and NBA in the same sentence now (I maybe mistaken). While you want to sell your program, there needs to also be a level of discretion in terms of over-hyping players. I just don't think it does anyone any good. If however he honestly believes those things about those players, we may have an issue with his ability to evaluate talent which would be much more concerning. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, I think he's just embellishing, and I don't believe it's in the players nor the programs best interest to do so. Let the kids earn those accolades, hopefully they can.

How much should we believe about what Richard is saying? Minnesota has been known to hire some salesmen who gave us Pinto's when we wanted a Mercedes.
I am not saying he is lying. I am only saying that we don't know if he is being truthful.

We didn't ask for a Mercedes. We asked for an Accura, were promised a Mercedes and were given a chilli leaking Pinto. So no one will blame you for being skeptical. The jury's still out on Pitino though.

Top Bottom