Pitino on Buggs: “He has been better in practice, certainly"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Amelia:

Buggs improving.

Buggs has played in each of the last two games after sitting in two of the previous three with what Pitino hinted were poor practice habits. The coach has been cryptic about his reasoning for playing or benching Buggs this season, but noted on Tuesday that he’s seen some improvement in the attitude he wants to see.

“He has been better in practice, certainly,” Pitino said. “I think he knows he has some tools that can help us, and now he’s just got to find a way to do it. We talk and talk and talk until we’re blue in the face, but now we’ve just got to do it.”

Buggs, who is averaging seven points and 3.7 rebounds, played 22 minutes against Indiana and finished with six points, a rebound and a steal. But Pitino has also bemoaned defensive miscues and turnovers by the junior, who he says will suddenly lose focus.

“He’s just got a different mentality,” Pitino said. “He recognizes it but I think he’s in his own head a lot of the time. He just thinks too much instead of just reacting and playing.”

http://www.startribune.com/murphy-c...nutes-at-small-forward-vs-michigan/365903071/

Go Gophers!!

per Amelia:

Buggs improving.

Buggs has played in each of the last two games after sitting in two of the previous three with what Pitino hinted were poor practice habits. The coach has been cryptic about his reasoning for playing or benching Buggs this season, but noted on Tuesday that he’s seen some improvement in the attitude he wants to see.

“He has been better in practice, certainly,” Pitino said. “I think he knows he has some tools that can help us, and now he’s just got to find a way to do it. We talk and talk and talk until we’re blue in the face, but now we’ve just got to do it.”

Buggs, who is averaging seven points and 3.7 rebounds, played 22 minutes against Indiana and finished with six points, a rebound and a steal. But Pitino has also bemoaned defensive miscues and turnovers by the junior, who he says will suddenly lose focus.

“He’s just got a different mentality,” Pitino said. “He recognizes it but I think he’s in his own head a lot of the time. He just thinks too much instead of just reacting and playing.”

http://www.startribune.com/murphy-c...nutes-at-small-forward-vs-michigan/365903071/

Go Gophers!!

Buggs is an puzzle all right. That one drive to the basket against IU was a thing of beauty and he can certainly hit from outside. I tend to agree with Pitino, that Buggs just thinks way too much.

I'm betting part of "better in practice certainly," is because Gilbert got hurt. Skeptical that Buggs is getting it as much as Pitino can't afford to let him sit.

I'm betting part of "better in practice certainly," is because Gilbert got hurt. Skeptical that Buggs is getting it as much as Pitino can't afford to let him sit.
Uh huh. This.

Considering he got some minutes prior to Gilbert getting hurt I would lean it's probably more likely that he was going to get more minutes because of his attitude, now he's going to get even more because of need.

Top Bottom