Pitino not the youngest gopher coach it was Musselman a great coach

Yes he was, and he did not give a $hit about NCAA rules.

I don't think Muss was younger....

but pretty close...both were just about 30 1/2 when they got the gig, but technically Rich was younger. (September vs. August b-days)

rules

Yes he was, and he did not give a $hit about NCAA rules.

I remember they were still trying to get him because of the ohio state incident. They were charging him for recruiting violations, some of the players sold tickets and flip saunders if I remember correctly took some cookies. Minnesota was made an example like they also did with Haskins. Michigan and Indiana and others seem to not be as bad with their violations.

Musselman? No thank you. I don't like my school to be known for on-court muggings of visiting players.

Muss was a great coach but a miserable human being. Still, the "brawl" is not the worst of it by a long shot. Ohio State and Luke Witte deserve some of the blame for the brawl. But he not only didn't give a $hit about NCAA rules, he also didn't give a $hit about the University of Minnesota when it came down to it.

But he proved with the T-Wolves that he was a great coach. They fired him because they wanted to build for the future. What I learned from Muss is you build a winning tradition by winning. No other way. Ping pong balls don't do it. Moral victories don't do it. Losing with young guys? No. You win. Hopefully without the violations, but you win. Without that, you're building nothin.'

I laugh at people who comment on the Minnesota/Ohio State game. I was there, and I can tell you
Luke Witte wasn't Mother Theresa. The game in the first half was extremely rough. The head official Red Struthers issued no warnings. As the teams were leaving at half time, Witte threw a neck high elbow at Gopher guard Bob Nix. The officials, who were being booed, had already headed down stairs. The rest is history.

Top Bottom