Pitino: I understand it all falls on my shoulders. I’m responsible for these guys.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per his Q&A with Marcus:

Q: Have you met with Coyle since he arrived Wednesday to meet with everyone at the U?

A: We texted back and forth a little bit. We’re going to get together in the next day or two. Obviously, his head is spinning, I’m assuming. But I’m excited. I certainly understand that our program right now is under scrutiny. I understand I’m not the most popular guy right now, and that comes with the territory. When you lose and when you have some off-court issues, unfortunately, like we’ve had you’re going to deal with that. But bottom line is I’m extremely excited about the potential of this basketball team moving forward. We had a really young team. I had to suspend those guys because I had to teach them a lesson about how we wanted our student-athletes to represent this basketball team. It was difficult not to have a complete team. But I think it taught them a lesson that they’ll hopefully learn from, not just on the court. It’s just been kind of bigger than that. I know we’re a bit of an easy target right now. But we’re going to continue to educate these guys, support them and teach them as much as we can. We’re extremely, extremely excited about next year. We think we’v got the most talented that we’ve had since we’ve been here. We feel like if, God willing, we’re healthy we can do some great things.

Q: Are you concerned about your job with new leadership now in place?

A: I think I’ve always said, and I’ve mentioned it before, I felt internally we understood what the season would be. It was definitely more difficult than I anticipated. But I’ve always been really, really excited about the potential of this team. I’m excited to work with Mark and talk to him on what we’re about as a program; tell him all the things we believe are going to be really good about it. And also just talk to him about how we can get better. When you win eight games and you’ve got guys getting into trouble, I look myself in the mirror and say, ‘What do I need to do to get better?’ I understand it all falls on my shoulders. I’m responsible for these guys. So I’m going to do everything possible to continue to educate them. But nothing is stopping me from not being extremely excited where we’re headed next year. I think we’re going to be a really good team. There’s going to be some wins to follow that.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/05/1...penses-everything-we-ever-spent-was-approved/

Go Gophers!!

Bye bye Lil Ricky. Don't let the door hit you on the a** on your way out.

Ouch!
If I didn't know better, I'd think I just read an interview with Tim Brewster rather than Richard Pitino.

He sounds like a lost puppy. I might feel sorry for him if he wasn't being paid so well.

I still hope Richard is successful. That would be the best outcome for all involved.

I will give Richard this, someone his age needs a strong AD who sets clear expectations and guidelines, something Teague appeared to lack. It sounds like Coyle's first year will be spent monitoring the men's basketball program extensively, if I'm Coyle I ask Pitino to bring a much more veteran 2nd in command.

I will give Richard this, someone his age needs a strong AD who sets clear expectations and guidelines, something Teague appeared to lack. It sounds like Coyle's first year will be spent monitoring the men's basketball program extensively, if I'm Coyle I ask Pitino to bring a much more veteran 2nd in command.

Say hello to your newest assistant coach, Rick Pitino :)

Top Bottom