Pitino at State Fair - Sunday, 9-4

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Richard Pitino was a guest on the Sports Huddle Sunday morning. I didn't take notes, but this is my best recollection of what was said.

Pitino said this should be his best team at the U, with more depth and experience.

Excited about the Freshmen. In response to Sid, Pitino said Coffey has a chance to start. Praised his maturity and passing ability. But also likes what Curry and Hurt can bring to team.

Talked a lot about Nate Mason. Said Mason can be one of the better guards in B1G, but needs to improve his outside shooting. Also would like Mason to lose a little weight. Said Mason is the team leader..

Asked about the most-improved player, mentioned Dupree McBrayer. Thinks he has added a lot to his game.

Asked about Akeem Springs, talked about watching Springs play well against big-time opponents. Said the 5th-year senior transfer is getting to be a bigger part of college hoops.

Pitino said he still doesn't have an answer on Reggie Lynch situation. said it's still being reviewed by the U.

Asked about recruiting MN kids, Pitino said it has to be the right fit - might be a really good player, but doesn't match the team's needs.

Pitino said he has tried to improve the quality of the non-conf schedule - mentioned Arkansas, St. John's, B1G/ACC cross-over. Sid complained about playing game in Sioux Falls - Pitino said he likes that game - fun gym, and gives fans a chance to see team in person who might otherwise not be able to get to a game.

Pitino said he will be doing more blog entries once practice starts. says he likes writing the blogs, but gets in trouble for being too honest sometimes.

That's the best I can remember. If anyone else was listening, feel free to fill in the gaps.

I love Pitino's honesty. If this is indeed his best team, hopefully that means a tourney bid is in the cards. We were so close in year 1. It'll be nice being able to bring sophomores and juniors off the bench.

Looks like Sid was excited to see Pitino.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pitino was also on with Bareirro this morning. He basically said the same thing on that show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like Sid was excited to see Pitino.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's not fair, he's like 120 years old, at least he is still kicking.

He also said next year they were going to try and schedule a major non conference opponent for a game at USBS as they want to host a bb game as a trial run for the final 4. Either that or I misheard him and he was joking that we could pencil them in for the final 4 and they just didn't know who their opponent was yet....

He also said next year they were going to try and schedule a major non conference opponent for a game at USBS as they want to host a bb game as a trial run for the final 4. Either that or I misheard him and he was joking that we could pencil them in for the final 4 and they just didn't know who their opponent was yet....

They "have to" play a game there. Just need to finalize opponent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how I feel about that. I mean the idea of it is really cool, but basketball games in large stadiums are weird. Maybe it would work if we have a good season this year and are able to get a really good opponent for that game. (Arkansas or St John's ain't gonna cut it. Has to be a Duke/Kentucky/UNC-type opponent. Maybe Louisville? Or maybe a Gopher-Badger game there? I don't know.) But it could also be kind of embarrassing if we only get 10-15k attendance for it.

I'd put a bajillion on the fact that Louisville would be the person they schedule for that.

“Nothing new with Reggie Lynch, nothing new has happened,” Coach Pitino said. “The University has to finish up what they are doing and then we can move on. I can’t comment further on that.

I'm curious if it's some classes that Lynch has to complete. Wording here makes me think he's reinstated after the completion of some sort of class/community service...

Complete conjecture.

Not sure how I feel about that. I mean the idea of it is really cool, but basketball games in large stadiums are weird. Maybe it would work if we have a good season this year and are able to get a really good opponent for that game. (Arkansas or St John's ain't gonna cut it. Has to be a Duke/Kentucky/UNC-type opponent. Maybe Louisville? Or maybe a Gopher-Badger game there? I don't know.) But it could also be kind of embarrassing if we only get 10-15k attendance for it.
You do it because it helps recruiting, especially in state kids. I'd love it if we played there once a season.

You do it because it helps recruiting, especially in state kids. I'd love it if we played there once a season.

I don't think it helps if attendance is poor. It would be pretty awful with only 15k there. And I wouldn't guess higher than 15k unless we are coming off a really good season and get a premier opponent for that game

I don't think it helps if attendance is poor. It would be pretty awful with only 15k there. And I wouldn't guess higher than 15k unless we are coming off a really good season and get a premier opponent for that game

Curiosity factor may bring a few in as well, but definitely need some momentum to make it an "event."

Curiosity factor may bring a few in as well, but definitely need some momentum to make it an "event."

They'd give away the nosebleed tickets- $5 or $10. I think they could get it to 25K doing that.

“We also have Eric Curry who has really surprised. Also, I would of expected to plug in Reggie Lynch possibly, coming from Illinois State but people forget he had shoulder surgery and hasn’t practiced in seven months. Reggie hasn’t played since February.

“So we have to figure out where he will be at when he gets back on the court. I envision Mason and Murphy starting and then it could go other ways with the rest but overall this will be a more versatile team.”

I like the positive vibe about Lynch!!

I like the positive vibe about Lynch!!

Me too, but it got me thinking (dangerous game, I know)

Pitino said it was out of the athletic department's hands, and it was up to the school. If they think that this act, or non-act was bad enough to be kicked off the team, why are they allowing him to attend classes? If they think this was that bad, I don't think a suspension is in the cards. I think it's 100% one way or the other. It would send a mixed message to say "you're a student in good standing, but you can't play basketball".

Me too, but it got me thinking (dangerous game, I know)

Pitino said it was out of the athletic department's hands, and it was up to the school. If they think that this act, or non-act was bad enough to be kicked off the team, why are they allowing him to attend classes? If they think this was that bad, I don't think a suspension is in the cards. I think it's 100% one way or the other. It would send a mixed message to say "you're a student in good standing, but you can't play basketball".

I think there is nothing to read into this except that it is in the U's disciplinary system and they will make the decision. The problem with these systems is that they never move quickly, leaving everyone hanging. It would not surprise me at all to see this thing drag on for months while everyone waits for it to get on the docket of the student discipline tribunal. Noted earlier but worth repeating is that these systems do not have the same standards for evidence as the legal system does.

The Gophers' were part of the test basketball game at Cardinal Stadium in Phoenix right after the place opened some years. That win over Louisville would single-handedly drag the Gophers into the tournament that year.

I'm all for it.

It would be nice if someone could find out what Reggie is doing for a workout regime right now. Sitting our last year plus the shoulder surgery plus not being able to practice or train with the team this Spring/Summer makes for a huge adjustment when/if he's cleared to return. I would hope he's doing something like working with one of the big training companies in town to make sure he will hit the ground running.

Top Bottom