PiPress: The defense is historically dreadful

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Entering Saturday, the Gophers' defensive efficiency rating ranks worst among power conference teams and second-worst of any Big Ten team in the past 15 seasons, according to kenpom.com.

The Gophers rank last in the Big Ten and 297th nationally in field-goal percentage (41.1), so it would seem they must generate offense from their defense. But what has been killing them all season is that their defense is even more putrid than their offense.

In Minnesota's past six losses, its opponents are averaging 78 points per game, shooting 52 percent and winning the rebounding battle by plus-10.8.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_29391703/gophers-basketball-defense-is-historically-dreadful

Go Gophers!!

I have to quit reading these articles. Every time I get a little hope in me, these statistics beat me down.
A few positive stats. Jordan Murphy leads the BIG in offensive rebounds in conference. Murphy is #7 in the conference for defensive rebounds. Joey King has the top free throw percentage in conference, Nate Mason is #3. Murphy is #6 on getting to the line in conference. Konate is #20 in offensive rebounds in conference and #7 in blocks. Nate Mason is #10 in assists.

I have to quit reading these articles. Every time I get a little hope in me, these statistics beat me down.
A few positive stats. Jordan Murphy leads the BIG in offensive rebounds in conference. Murphy is #7 in the conference for defensive rebounds. Joey King has the top free throw percentage in conference, Nate Mason is #3. Murphy is #6 on getting to the line in conference. Konate is #20 in offensive rebounds in conference and #7 in blocks. Nate Mason is #10 in assists.

If you want some more positives for next year, Coffey and Lynch will undoubtedly help this team on the defensive side of the ball. I think Curry can help out some as well. I haven't seen enough of Fitzgerald to say for sure, but he has length and good athleticism.

Coffey is just a good all-around player. Having his length at the 2 guard spot will be a huge advantage. Not many teams in the country will have a 6'7/8 guy at the 2. He is a good rebounder as well.

Lynch will help as well. Our Interior defense has been horrific so far this year, and having a rim protector of Lynch's caliber will help. Even if he doesn't block shots at the rate he did at llinois State, just having him in their contesting and bothering shots, will be an upgrade.

I don't disagree with you. I'm hanging my hat on Murphy. He looks like he will be an All-BIG player before he leaves Dinkytown and I'm guessing Coffey will show us the same next season. The fat lady hasn't sang yet.

Top Bottom