PiPress: NFL veteran Scott endorses Claeys for head coach

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Bart Scott knows Tracy Claeys.

Not only did the future NFL linebacker play for defensive coordinator Claeys at Southern Illinois in 2001, Scott lived in Claeys' home when he went back to Carbondale, Ill., to earn his economics degree in 2005.

"You just get to see the person behind the coach: the leadership, the football acumen," Scott told the Pioneer Press on Thursday.

Claeys was promoted from Gophers defensive coordinator to interim head coach Wednesday morning when Jerry Kill suddenly retired for health reasons. In the evening, Claeys quickly stated his desire to be Kill's long-term replacement.

Scott, who now works for CBS Sports, played 11 years in the NFL for the Baltimore Ravens and the New York Jets. Among his coaches were Mike Singletary, Rex Ryan and Mike Pettine.

"Some of the brightest, most innovated defensive minds," Scott said, "and I would put Claeys right up there with them."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_29044576/gophers-report-nfl-veteran-scott-endorses-claeys-head

Go Gophers!!

I like Claeys, but Mike Shanahan had some nice things to say about Tim Brewster.... nice comments are a dime a dozen.

I think you're seeing what you want to see. Not a huge difference.

By the way, I endorse Claeys.

The difference is Shanahan saw Brewster from the employer's perspective, also a collegial perspective.

Scott saw Claeys from a quasi-employee/student perspective.

Maybe that's what I should have said from the beginning.

The difference is Shanahan saw Brewster from the employer's perspective, also a collegial perspective.

Scott saw Claeys from a quasi-employee/student perspective.

Maybe that's what I should have said from the beginning.
The biggest difference is Shannahan hired Brewster, it makes him look good if one of the guys that worked under him goes on to be successful. Not every player likes all of their coaches, there are some coaches I had that I would skate through a wall for and others quite frankly can go pound sand for all I care.

As a season ticket holder the last thing I want to see is a new regime. Claeys is the man unless the rest of the season totally tanks on him. The next couple of games are going to tell alot about Claeys ability to be head man permanently, although he has done a good job filling in for Jerry.

Top Bottom