PiPress: Max Shortell says he plans on challenging Gray for starting job at QB

Cocky or Confident, sounds like he's ready to roll. Hopefully he can back it up, sounds like he may be able to, someday. Wonder how Gray will respond?

Kudos to the Brewster and Kill staffs for getting this kid committed and signed to the U. We need more kids with this type of confidence.

Gotta love the attitude! Competition will only make whoever earns the spot that much better. It will definitely be interesting to see what each player brings; especially under the tutelage of the new coaching regime. I look forward to vast improvements from last year in the team overall. Can't wait until spring ball, Go Gophers!!

Competition is a great thing. Gray will start but having a young talent behind him will force him to constantly keep improving.

I love Max's confidence and attitude. He didn't say any of our current quarterbacks aren't good, just that he thinks he has the skills to come in and challenge them. His goal is to play, and that's what every players goal should be.

Gray just tweeted a link to this thread and said "that's what we need - competitors!" Now THAT is awesome

Gray just tweeted a link to this thread and said "that's what we need - competitors!" Now THAT is awesome

Could also be a shot at the rest of the team from the leader going into 2011. I like it!

Sounds like a great competitor, with chance of injuries at the quarterback positions we need 2-3 QB's who can get the job done.

If Gray has to go back to reciever than so be it. I want the best guy in the quarterback position. I still think coach Kill should have offered Mike Hohensee his quarterback's coach position.

A fellow poster mention earlier that Gray = 3 yds (my words not his/hers). the poster is right- Gray can get you 3 yds and that will get you a win.

If Gray has to go back to reciever than so be it. I want the best guy in the quarterback position. I still think coach Kill should have offered Mike Hohensee his quarterback's coach position.

I don't know if Kill would ever consider putting Hohensee on his staff. I mean, Hohensee had so much support for the head coaching position on this board there would be a head-coaching controversy from Day 1. ;)

I love Gray. He showed us some flashes of leadership and toughness late in the game against Iowa on a couple big-time 3rd down runs to ice the game. I think he got a taste of being a leader and the toughness it takes to win in the BT in that game and is ready to step up this fall.

QB competition

Safe to say, if Shortell even comes CLOSE to challenging Gray as the starting QB this fall, perhaps the previous offensive coaching staff wasn't as dumb as many of our resident "experts" for not starting Gray at QB at all last year or even giving him many snaps?

I'm hoping for a great competition between all the QB's and I think we'll be happy with who comes out on top. That being said, if Gray doesn't win going away, it'll be abundantly clear that Gray has issues at the QB position that many Gopher fans have been unwilling to see up to this point.

Yes, Gray will be learning a new offensive system. We all understand that.

To add to that point, if Gray doesn't emerge as the completely obvious choice at QB by the USC game next fall, the Gophers could be in for a LONG season next year.

I think Gray will be fine and it seems his talents fit Kill's offensive system fairly well. Here's hoping it's a perfect fit and it translates into success on the field!

I thought that Parrish also was one of those guys who had a good arm and could run extremely well. Isn't that the kind of guy that Kill would be looking for to play his QB position?

There are 2 posters I could ID without seeing their name. If it has B1G wins in it then its Wren. If it has Hohensee in it then it's gold04. Glad to see you haven't lost your touch.

There are 2 posters I could ID without seeing their name. If it has B1G wins in it then its Wren. If it has Hohensee in it then it's gold04. Glad to see you haven't lost you're touch.

lol

This kid is a leader and he is showing me maturity. Awesome stuff!

OMG-is this crap ever going to end? Hohensee will never coach D1 football. Ever. He is insanely unqualified.
Unless they start ArenaCollege1.

As he should plan to challenge him. That said, I really hope Gray takes this one by the horns, and I think he will be the starter. Not sure if I wanna go in with a true frosh at QB going into USC lol.

Like the competition at QB right now...Look forward to seeing what Gray can do, but he is going to have to work hard in order to stay #1.

Safe to say, if Shortell even comes CLOSE to challenging Gray as the starting QB this fall, perhaps the previous offensive coaching staff wasn't as dumb as many of our resident "experts" for not starting Gray at QB at all last year or even giving him many snaps?

I'm hoping for a great competition between all the QB's and I think we'll be happy with who comes out on top. That being said, if Gray doesn't win going away, it'll be abundantly clear that Gray has issues at the QB position that many Gopher fans have been unwilling to see up to this point.

Yes, Gray will be learning a new offensive system. We all understand that.

To add to that point, if Gray doesn't emerge as the completely obvious choice at QB by the USC game next fall, the Gophers could be in for a LONG season next year.

I think Gray will be fine and it seems his talents fit Kill's offensive system fairly well. Here's hoping it's a perfect fit and it translates into success on the field!

You have got to be kidding about the judgement of the previous staff (aka Brewster). I like Gray, alway have, but I never felt he should necessarily start a game, but rather get to play at least one entire series. Especially when Adam was having an off day. But you're right, we ARE going to see about the judgement of the previous staff. (I think we've already seen quite a bit about the judgement of the previous staff in Kill's short time here!) IMO if Max challenges Gray, we're going to be an even better team and it'll seem like a short season.

Top Bottom