PiPress: Matt Limegrover on Campion possibly moving to guard, Olson’s emergence, more

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

How excited are you about the offensive line depth going into Year 4?

Jon Christenson (tore his ACL last season) is coming back. I check daily with the training staff. Brian Bobek (viral infection last year) is healthy and playing like the kid who was in the two-deep at Ohio State his freshman year.
We’re never going to have a bunch of preseason all-conference kids. But I loved what we did with rotating Ben Lauer and Eddie (Olson) at left tackle last year. We had never done that before. I always went with five guys. But I’m moving away from that a little bit, if it can keep some guys healthy.
I’m not saying we’ll platoon everything and have 10 guys in and out there. But a guy like Joe Bjorklund is incredibly important to us. He’s a guy who is just on the cusp of being a starter. So I’m going to work him at left tackle. If he’s providing something for us, he might be this year’s Ed Olson to Lauer. Having Joe Bjorklund and Jon Christensen will be huge. Isaac Hayes got better. Brian Bobek is finally healthy and has experience. Is it ever going to be five? No. It never is. But can we get to eight? Yeah. I’d love for the defense to sit there and go, ‘Oh no, here comes another one’. You got guys who have started and guys with tremendous upside. You got this combination of things where those pieces might fit. You’ve got 10-11 kids who are thinking they have a legitimate shot at their positions. I had never met with my guys just before summer before. I would do something post-spring ball and then go off recruiting. Well, I did it this year. I’m going to right back through every guys for 5-10 minutes (this) week.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...-possibility-of-josh-campion-moving-and-more/

Go Gophers!!

This article makes me even more excited for the upcoming season. I think our offense will control the line of scrimmage in most games as well as the clock. Nice job Marcus in writing this piece.

Go Gophers!

i wish he would have said how much Tommy weighs. Epping, Campion and Pirsig are all over 320 and Kill has said Lauer is at 315 but Tommy along with Jon, Foster and all of the other guys are still listed at just a hair above 300. It is from last year so hopefully they are all up to 310 or so.

I would love to see Campion and Pirsig on the right side. That would be a drive or power pair. Campion has the experience, and with his weight down he can be a force inside. Pirsig is talented, physical, and has great feet. He could, should be able to either collapse or pin and drive the defense end inside. If they chose pulling Campion around sealing the outside backer inside, heck I am running The Packer sweep.

Maybe a little off topic, but just a quick story for anyone who cares. I was a volunteer assistant coach for a high school baseball team a handful of years back. We played Blue Earth early in the season and I was the first base coach. They had an absolute giant of a first baseman and I asked what year he was. "Sophomore." I then asked if he played football and he just laughed and said "yeah, a little." We joked around a bit a few more times throughout the game and he seemed like a good guy. Years later he is at the U potentially starting at tackle. I'm excited to see what he can do.

Love how blunt Limey is about guys places

Officially getting excited...

Top Bottom