PiPress: Jimmy Gjere looks like next best thing to Seantrel Henderson

That's a pretty interesting article. I don't really understand the need for bringing up Seantrel with Jimmy Gjere but whatever, I understand it's about getting those clicks.

The MN rube in me is pretty excited that at least 7 of our better OL are going to be MN kids (adding in T. Olson and J. Campion). It's good to see all of these talented MN lineman starting to come to MN.

I will say, I can't believe Jimmy Gjere couldn't bench 225 coming out of HS! Did his HS not have a weight room?

I will say, I can't believe Jimmy Gjere couldn't bench 225 coming out of HS! Did his HS not have a weight room?

Crazy, huh? Even as a wide receiver, I was able to bench 240 my junior year. Hard to believe a 4-star couldn't bench 225.

Lots of large o linemen don't have as good of bench numbers as you'd think. Longer arms means more work to lift the same weight. Assuming he wasn't full grown height wise until his sophomore or junior year, he only had 1-2 years of training with those long arms.

I know a lineman from rosemount who went to northern Iowa on a full ride who could not bench 135 at the beginning of his junior year. Long arms hurt bench numbers.

you can tell the kid has put on the weight, he looks bad @ss this spring. He moves so well he could also be one heck of a guard.

Lots of large o linemen don't have as good of bench numbers as you'd think. Longer arms means more work to lift the same weight. Assuming he wasn't full grown height wise until his sophomore or junior year, he only had 1-2 years of training with those long arms.

I know a lineman from rosemount who went to northern Iowa on a full ride who could not bench 135 at the beginning of his junior year. Long arms hurt bench numbers.

I get that, but 225 isn't a ton of weight. I would have thought that it becoming obvious that he was going to be a Div 1 prospect (top notch one at that), he would have spent a ton of time with HS level strength coaches that could get him up a bit on that.

A lot of those 16-17 yr old 6'7" kids are a bit awkward as well, so I'm sure that plays a role in it as well.

I was just surprised by the 225 number.

you can tell the kid has put on the weight, he looks bad @ss this spring. He moves so well he could also be one heck of a guard.

I agree Sonny. I saw one practice and he absolutely flys out there (for a big guy). I actually thought he was Rabe or another TE on the first play I saw (it's hard to tell with the amount of pulling and stuff) because he was so quick through. But yeah, he is an impressive athlete at T.

I have longer arms as well. Maybe he had to go through high school with an inside benching technique. Which yields lighter weight. My high school lifting coach always said, "How many times when you block, do you have your arms in a normal bench press position." We had to keep elbows in because it is the way you block, which makes a lot of sense. So maybe that is why it was only 225.

I believe Weber, Hoese and Theret did more reps at the same weight than Jeff Wills did during their NFL looks..

[correct me if i'm wrong]

...I will say, I can't believe Jimmy Gjere couldn't bench 225 coming out of HS! Did his HS not have a weight room?

One minor detail missing from the article was that Jimmy had mono a year ago...and lost 40#...and was greatly weakened...so it would NOT surprise me if Jimmy may have had trouble benching 100#, let alone 225#.

He has regained the weight...back to the 305-310# range. And his strength is coming along nicely. He's gonna do just fine at RT.

One minor detail missing from the article was that Jimmy had mono a year ago...and lost 40#...and was greatly weakened...so it would NOT surprise me if Jimmy may have had trouble benching 100#, let alone 225#.

He has regained the weight...back to the 305-310# range. And his strength is coming along nicely. He's gonna do just fine at RT.

I wasn't at all implying that he won't do a nice job at RT, especially in a couple seasons. I was just surprised by that little nugget of info. I am pumped up about our young OL and I have very little doubt that it will be a strength of this team in two seasons.

so if gjere wins the RT job.......is Ragoo out of the mix to start anywhere else on the line?

Jimmy also played hockey and baseball in high school and didn't really hit the weights hard until after football season his senior year. He skipped the hockey season his senior year so he could hit the weight room.

If an OT ever finds himself in a position where the bench press is an applicable exercise, the play has long been lost.

so if gjere wins the RT job.......is Ragoo out of the mix to start anywhere else on the line?

I'd be shocked if Ragoo starts anywhere next year. I am not certain he'll even see much PT.

That would be the case if he had a skinny physique. He has longer arms but also a bigger chest area so when he goes down, he doesn't have to go as deep as someone who is skinny. I think that pretty much evens it out.

If an OT ever finds himself in a position where the bench press is an applicable exercise, the play has long been lost.

This is totally incorrect. A lineman uses the bench press exercise frequently and especially while pass protecting.

This is totally incorrect. A lineman uses the bench press exercise frequently and especially while pass protecting.

The hands are wide in a bench press. The videos of practice strongly emphasize keeping hands in, so I'd say a close-grip bench press is more relevant.

Some of the strongest people you've ever met probably couldn't bench very much.

I agree, Bench is overrated. My strength coach in HS always told us two most important lifts are squat and hang clean. I knew quite a few guys who couldn't do a ton on bench but were killers on the FB field cuz of those two lifts.

If you've set up your pass pro and the d-lineman gets into your body to the point where a bench press is applicable, it is indeed over.

I know we're not supposed to say much about Spring practices, but I just can't stop myself from saying that Jimmy Gjere looked awesome when I went yesterday. I was also very impressed with Josh Campion (at least I think that was him...#65?), Ryan Orton, Zak Epping, and Ryan Wynn. All showed solid technique in drills and some nastiness on the boards. All in all, the O-Line actually looked pretty damn good from what I saw.

Top Bottom