PiPress: Incoming Gophers AD Norwood Teague to make football his top priority

BleedGopher

Reaction score
"If football is successful, it can drive the engine to help everybody else," said Teague, formerly AD at Virginia Commonwealth. "It's got to be a tremendous priority. We've got a great coach in Jerry Kill. The other asset we have is a new stadium. People don't build new stadiums in college athletics anymore, especially at the Big Ten level. There are things in place. There are a lot of assets in place that can really keep us evolving into the future."

http://www.twincities.com/ci_20879135/incoming-gophers-ad-norwood-teague-make-football-his

Go Gophers!!

Kill said his indoor practice facility needs renovation, and he wants a practice bubble for the outdoor field. Teague, known for being an outstanding fundraiser, told Kill he would see if the interest was there to fund those projects once he arrived.

What purpose does a practice bubble serve for the outdoor field if we already have an indoor facility? Is it for the times where another team is using the indoor field?

Kill said his indoor practice facility needs renovation, and he wants a practice bubble for the outdoor field. Teague, known for being an outstanding fundraiser, told Kill he would see if the interest was there to fund those projects once he arrived.

What purpose does a practice bubble serve for the outdoor field if we already have an indoor facility? Is it for the times where another team is using the indoor field?
I believe the issue with the current indoor facility, besides the roof leaking, is that everyone and their brother uses it -- limiting its availability.

"If football is successful, it can drive the engine to help everybody else," said Teague, formerly AD at Virginia Commonwealth. "It's got to be a tremendous priority. We've got a great coach in Jerry Kill. The other asset we have is a new stadium. People don't build new stadiums in college athletics anymore, especially at the Big Ten level. There are things in place. There are a lot of assets in place that can really keep us evolving into the future."

Maybe he would have time to lecture Maturi on sports management. This is something Joel never seemed to understand.

I believe the issue with the current indoor facility, besides the roof leaking, is that everyone and their brother uses it -- limiting its availability.

Yes, but without a doubt when they want it, they get it. It's not like the marching band goes in there and takes up football's space when its raining out. Other groups obviously have to schedule around what football wants.

Yes, but without a doubt when they want it, they get it. It's not like the marching band goes in there and takes up football's space when its raining out. Other groups obviously have to schedule around what football wants.

I think Kill's issue is that this limits his guys ability to do extra workouts that are more impromptu.

BleedGopher said:

http://www.twincities.com/ci_20879135/incoming-gophers-ad-norwood-teague-make-football-his

Go Gophers!!

I like this guy. He knows here the money and fans are in college sports. Football and Men's Basketball - Feed the cash cows Teague!

I think Kill's issue is that this limits his guys ability to do extra workouts that are more impromptu.

Maybe they should learn a life lesson about the value of scheduling ahead as well.

Hope he sticks to his word. Actions will speak louder than words, although I like his words so far.

Maybe they should learn a life lesson about the value of scheduling ahead as well.

Uh huh. So if the football players decide to do extra workouts and drills above and beyond the many that are already planned (i.e. do more work to get better than is expected of them) they should find it difficult to do so?

The whole team isn't going to do impromptu practices, more likely the quarterbacks and recievers might just work out. A bubble is perfect for that.

If you are participating in the voluntary workouts, you sat with your position coach following the spring game and have a routine, strength and conditioning, film study, and drills.If you are not participating, you probably are suspended from the team or will be. You name the position you have drills. If you are a place kicker you need the long snapper, holder and intern to shag balls. If you are a punter you need the long snapper and a return man. Then the ever popular 7 on 7 drills, maybe two or three deep. Line drills, footwork, timing, technique. This is where this gets better. Whether it is indoors, at Rod Wallace, or TCF or under a bubble you get it done. I personally like the idea of practicing in the elements.

Uh huh. So if the football players decide to do extra workouts and drills above and beyond the many that are already planned (i.e. do more work to get better than is expected of them) they should find it difficult to do so?

It's not difficult to look at a schedule and find a time that works. The players aren't demi-Gods, they don't own the facility. If the University thinks the field best benefits the institution as a whole by letting rec groups or whatever use it that's how it is and I've got no problem with that.

It's not difficult to look at a schedule and find a time that works. The players aren't demi-Gods, they don't own the facility. If the University thinks the field best benefits the institution as a whole by letting rec groups or whatever use it that's how it is and I've got no problem with that.
Maybe the university (Teague) doesn't think that way anymore. Maybe rec groups can go play in the elements.

Maybe the university (Teague) doesn't think that way anymore. Maybe rec groups can go play in the elements.
Or better yet, they build the bubble and everyone has a space.

How is having to spend a bunch of money better?

I sincerely doubt the only reason Kill wants it is so his guys can work out on short notice. If he didn't actually need it, something tells me he would ask that the money be spent on one of the many other improvements the football complex needs.

I sincerely doubt the only reason Kill wants it is so his guys can work out on short notice. If he didn't actually need it, something tells me he would ask that the money be spent on one of the many other improvements the football complex needs.
Of course it is. Kill doesn't want to be one to tell the rec groups to take a hike. He'll seek to get better facilities for himself. From Teague's perspective, he may reason that the practice bubble is not on the current list of priorities, and thus a quick fix of moving the rec groups would be best in the short-term.

Of course it is. Kill doesn't want to be one to tell the rec groups to take a hike. He'll seek to get better facilities for himself. From Teague's perspective, he may reason that the practice bubble is not on the current list of priorities, and thus a quick fix of moving the rec groups would be best in the short-term.

So you've read Kill's mind then? Or do you have a link to an interview or presser where he shares this?

So you've read Kill's mind then? Or do you have a link to an interview or presser where he shares this?

You think he wants a practice bubble so that Marqueis can host tea parties? This isn't rocket science. Most of our BCS competitors have more available fieldhouses for their football team.

You think he wants a practice bubble so that Marqueis can host tea parties? This isn't rocket science. Most of our BCS competitors have more available fieldhouses for their football team.

Yup. And when they do it is for reasons beyond ad hoc, short notice availability for FB players. Which is why I said this: "I sincerely doubt the only reason Kill wants it is so his guys can work out on short notice."

Off the top of my head, here are other (better, more pressing reasons) why Kill would want the bubble:
- More indoor practice space for Spring Practice/late season practice
- More space/flexibilty for the running of structure/planned winter off season workouts
- The ability to sell recruits on the continued commitment of the University towards football

Off the top of my head, here are other (better, more pressing reasons) why Kill would want the bubble:
- More indoor practice space for Spring Practice/late season practice
- More space/flexibilty for the running of structure/planned winter off season workouts
- The ability to sell recruits on the continued commitment of the University towards football
I didn't say kicking out the rec groups was a permanent solution, just a good one to make now.

Top Bottom