PiPress: Holiday Bowl overshadowed by Gophers’ lingering off-field issues

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Tuesday’s forecast for the Holiday Bowl calls for abundant sunshine and a high of 68 degrees — blissful winter weather for the Gophers to play Washington State at Qualcomm Stadium.

But figurative dark clouds continue to hang over Minnesota’s football program. Persistent fallout over the suspension of 10 Gophers players tied to an alleged sexual assault figures to obscure the first downs, fumbles and touchdowns that might transpire during the Big Ten-Pac 12 matchup on national TV.

The latest development came Monday when a petition signed by slightly more than 400 teachers, parents and University of Minnesota alumni called for Gophers head coach Tracy Claeys to be fired. By 7 p.m., the petition’s signatures had exceeded 690.

The petition objects to Claeys’ response to his players’ boycott of team activities on Dec. 15 and maintains Claeys did not provide “appropriate supervision” for an underage recruit involved in the incident. A University of Minnesota report filed in order to comply with Title IX states many men had sex with a female student, and other men didn’t intervene when she, at times, expressed the sex was not consensual.

“A group of parents and educators got together because we are deeply troubled by the message it sends to young people,” Joe Nathan, a U of M graduate and former U teacher, told the Pioneer Press. “Our No. 1 concern is the behavior of the football coach.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/12/2...adowed-by-gophers-lingering-off-field-issues/

Go Gophers!!

Leach wasn’t willing to elaborate on that stance during his portion on the news conference Monday.

“In this setting, it’s just all about me trying to contradict something that Minnesota did, and that’s up to Minnesota how they handled that situation,” Leach said. “Ultimately, if I have a boycott, I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. That’s essentially how I would handle it, so you can elaborate from there.”

Leach said it’s tough to share how to navigate tough times with coaches like Claeys when caught in the middle of them and each team has obligations to the bowl.

“I think all coaches wish for the best for one another,” Leach said. “I think he’s done such a fine job up there in Minnesota; it’s hard to not respect.”

If Minnesota (8-4) overcomes its status as a 10-point underdog Tuesday, it would win nine games for the first time since Glen Mason coached the Gophers to a 10-3 mark in 2003. Plus, Minnesota could win consecutive bowl games for the first time since 2002-04.

Top Bottom