PiPress: Gophers QB Conor Rhoda is rewarded for his diligence

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Conor Rhoda would ask himself questions before sunrise. As a walk-on quarterback low on the Gophers’ depth chart, he wondered if it was worth it to rise before 6 a.m. and trudge across a frozen campus for winter workouts five days a week.

His question: “When is this going to finally pay off for me?”

The Eagan native, who played at Cretin-Derham Hall, joined the Gophers in 2013. The redshirt junior received the answer in phases:

— When he was offered a scholarship on the first day of spring semester in January.

— When he became the backup to senior Mitch Leidner in fall camp in August.

— When he made his first collegiate start Saturday, a 31-10 victory at Maryland.

Pregame, Rhoda tried to let his journey sink in at Maryland Stadium.

“I kept walking out there and looking at the field,” Rhoda said Tuesday. “It was an experience that I will never forget. Definitely, if I get that opportunity to play this week, that will be a whole other experience doing it in front of a home crowd.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/10/18/gophers-qb-conor-rhoda-is-rewarded-for-his-diligence/

Go Gophers!!

Great story of a person who never quit despite the journey that I'm sure tough and lonely at times. We live in a society of quitting, getting mad, impatient etc. He has done well.

I really like this kid. I hope he has a monster game.

Great story, easy kid to root for, but in regards to the Rutgers game I really hope we don't need him to have a monster game. If we do that would not be a good sign. If things go according to plan he will hopefully spend the vast majority of the game turning and handing off to Smith and Brooks.

Rhoda

Great story, easy kid to root for, but in regards to the Rutgers game I really hope we don't need him to have a monster game. If we do that would not be a good sign. If things go according to plan he will hopefully spend the vast majority of the game turning and handing off to Smith and Brooks.

He needs to pass to set up the run. Would love to see him go 18 of 25 and 200 yards. ;)

Top Bottom