PiPress: Gophers men’s basketball to sign two, but none from Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chad:

The Gophers men’s basketball team is expected to sign two high school guards in the coming days, a recruiting class that features a four-star recruit for the third straight year but is again without any of the state’s top prep players.

When the NCAA’s early signing period opens Wednesday for one week, four-star point guard Isaiah Washington and three-star shooting guard Jamir Harris are expected to sign letters of intent to play for the Gophers next season.

But while Washington will bring excitement to Dinkytown as the second player ranked in the top 100 to sign with the U in two years, the early signing period is a reminder that the Gophers were unable to sign any of a talented crop of Minnesotans.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/11/07/gophers-mens-basketball-to-sign-two-but-none-from-minnesota/

Go Gophers!!

What a POS headline. How about "Minnesota signs best recruit in 10+ years!" Who gives a **** if they are from Minnesota or not.

What do they mean "again without any of the state's top prep players?" We got Coffey, Hurt, and Johnson the last 2 classes.

And "unable to sign any Minnesotans." Washington was a plan A recruit. We took Harris' commitment when Hasahn French was still in play, and French was rated higher than Theo John. I wish we could have gotten Sims, but I'm okay with how everything else went.

Gary Trent is committing later this week, probably to Duke. That oughta spark some more media criticism of the fact that our coaching staff has the gall to recruit out of state.

A 2-star journalist, but he is a local recruit

Chad Graff
MINNESOTA WILD BEAT WRITER
[email protected] 612-807-7718
Chad Graff joined the Pioneer Press in April of 2013 -- long enough to cover three straight Wild playoff exits at the hands of the Blackhawks -- after working for the Philadelphia Inquirer and Boston Globe. He's lived in California and Texas, but most recently spent a decade in New Hampshire. He watched New England fans celebrate seven championships in his time there, yet somehow his only sports allegiance lies with Nebraska football.
I wouldn't be looking for any profound or kind words from the hockey beat writer.

From Chad's story:
Pitino and the Gophers also missed out on:
— Four-star guard Brad Davison who remains uncommitted with four Big Ten offers, though not from the Gophers

How can the Gophers have missed out on someone they didn't offer? One wonders how many people are left in the sports department at the Pioneer Press if they're farming out Gopher basketball stories to the Wild's beat reporter.

From Chad's story:
— Four-star guard Brad Davison who remains uncommitted with four Big Ten offers, though not from the Gophers

How can the Gophers have missed out on someone they didn't offer? One wonders how many people are left in the sports department at the Pioneer Press if they're farming out Gopher basketball stories to the Wild's beat reporter.

Also, since when is he not committed to UW? Did I miss something?

Also, since when is he not committed to UW? Did I miss something?

2017 Wisconsin Basketball
Commitment List
Total Commitments
share:
Name Pos Location Ht Wt Signed Stars Rating Committed
Brad Davison G Maple Grove, MN 6'3" 190 7/11/16
Nathan Reuvers F Lakeville, MN 6'10" 200 5/18/16
Kobe King G La Crosse, WI 6'3" 160 9/17/15

What a POS headline. How about "Minnesota signs best recruit in 10+ years!" Who gives a **** if they are from Minnesota or not.

You sure wouldn't let it impact your recruiting decisions but through the course of the fours years an instate recruit saves the athletic department around 45k.

This is sooooo Minnesota, and this is why we can't have nice things.

Proper headline: Gophers "One of US!" quota severely below average..."

I live here solely for the +70s November weather.

Some highlights from the article:

Gophers men’s basketball to sign two, but none from Minnesota

but is again without any of the state’s top prep players.

the early signing period is a reminder that the Gophers were unable to sign any of a talented crop of Minnesotans.

Five players from the state received offers from Big Ten teams, but none will be signing with the Gophers.

A year ago, the Gophers signed the state’s top two recruits — Amir Coffey from Hopkins and Michael Hurt from Rochester — to end a streak of four straight years the U was unable to keep Minnesota’s top talent at home.

but hasn’t been able to have that same success in state.

Seriously, how is repetitive and blatantly incorrect information like this printed? He even manages to contradict himself several times.

Wow that is a terrible article! I am so excited for the class! I don't give a rats as where these kids come from! But so excited we landed Coffey and Hurt! Hell yeah!

Those are some brutal quotes. Forgets that we got Jarvis Johnson in 2015, and I'm pretty sure we didn't offer anyone from Minnesota in 2012 or 2013. Joe Coleman was the only top 150 recruit from Minnesota from 2010 to 2013 I think.

Some highlights from the article:

Gophers men’s basketball to sign two, but none from Minnesota

but is again without any of the state’s top prep players.

the early signing period is a reminder that the Gophers were unable to sign any of a talented crop of Minnesotans.

Five players from the state received offers from Big Ten teams, but none will be signing with the Gophers.

A year ago, the Gophers signed the state’s top two recruits — Amir Coffey from Hopkins and Michael Hurt from Rochester — to end a streak of four straight years the U was unable to keep Minnesota’s top talent at home.

but hasn’t been able to have that same success in state.

Seriously, how is repetitive and blatantly incorrect information like this printed? He even manages to contradict himself several times.

I read the article right after it was posted and I don't remember this line... was it added to the article?

Diehard Gopher basketball fans like the ones on this forum don't care.

But for the average Joe/Jane living in the metro area flipping through the paper or browsing through the web, the Minnesota angle may catch their attention and get a click. There are many sports teams here battling for attention - you have to give the average person a reason to give it their time.

These problems will disappear when we win on the basketball floor with MN or non-MN kids. Until then...

I read the article right after it was posted and I don't remember this line... was it added to the article?

I don't remember reading that either. Funny thing is he is still wrong (Jarvis).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess so. I just copied and pasted right after reading yesterday, which was apparently around 5 PM.

Top Bottom