PiPress: Gophers interim AD Beth Goetz downplays interest in job, boosts Pitino

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

But Goetz isn’t openly campaigning for the job.

“At this point, I’ve said that I’m interested in the position and I plan to pursue it,” she said Friday. “We’re going to let the process play out from there.”

The U’s Board of Regents and President Eric Kaler heard recommendations on the search for a new AD last week. They decided to move on with the process that includes hiring a new search firm to locate candidates.

A week ago, Goetz said in a statement: “It has been an honor to lead the University of Minnesota Athletic Department during this time of transition, and I am more passionate than ever about the opportunity for the Gophers to achieve excellence athletically, academically, and in the development of our future leaders.”

There seems to be growing appreciation for the job Goetz has done to run the athletic department since Norwood Teague resigned in August after sexual harassment allegations. Fundraising picked up, and she continues to work on developing strong relationships in the community.

“We’ve got games and fundraising to do and people to support,” Goetz said. “So that’s where my responsibility is. My ability to pursue the position long-term is something outside of that. My No. 1 priority is to fill the role I’ve asked to do right now.”

Many fans clamored for the school to make a judgment on Pitino after an 0-13 Big Ten start, but Goetz and others in the administration believe this is a rebuilding process. They also recognized that the Gophers have shown signs of improvement. Pitino’s team finally broke through after nine single-digit losses in the Big Ten.

“When you start to get close against good teams and on the road, and play tough like that you’re starting to really see improvement across the board,” Goetz said. “Richard will be the first to tell you he’s learning a lot, just as your athletes do when you have challenging times. All of that culminates to where you have a breakthrough like last night.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/02/1...oetz-downplays-interest-in-job-boosts-pitino/

Go Gophers!!

If they are looking for a team player, Beth fits the bill.

Not seeing the fund raising aspect of it. We have been stuck at 80 million for months.

Top Bottom