PiPress: Gophers freshman safety Antoine Winfield Jr. was ‘born for this’

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Gophers defensive coordinator Jay Sawvel didn’t feel the need to massage the psyche of a true freshman defensive back making his first start against Penn State in front of 95,332 fans in Happy Valley.

Seconds before kickoff last Saturday, Sawvel turned to Antoine Winfield Jr. and said, “ ‘You were born for this.’ It wasn’t, ‘Are you ready to play? Or hey, ‘You’re a freshman, let’s have a little talk and a little “Kumbaya” before you go out and play your first game.’ ”

As the son of Antoine Winfield, the former Vikings Pro Bowl cornerback, Winfield Jr. has been prepping for his collegiate debut since he was a toddler. When Sawvel gave that compliment, Winfield Jr. showed his comfort level.

“That made me laugh,” he said Wednesday. “I remember him saying that, and I just started playing my game.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/10/06/gophers-antoine-winfield-jr-vikings-penn-state-iowa-hawkeyes/

Go Gophers!!

He played a great game. Can't wait to see how good he becomes over the next few years.

Winfield will end up setting defensive TD records, interceptions, etc etc......He will also get plenty of opportunities to return punts and kicks. One of the greatest coos was getting him to Minnesota. Go Gophers!

Top Bottom