PiPress: Gophers football: 5 burning questions entering fall camp

It is not a new offense, just a couple new plays/formations designed to take advantage of the team's perceived advantages over its opponent. Same basic blocking schemes up front, etc. If that's a burning question, the team should be in great shape.

I agree with most who have questioned some of the "burning questions" proposed by Marcus.

It doesn't make for great copy, and you could say a few of these every year for the Gophers, but here would be my burning questions:

1. Can they stop the run with the front 7? If you have to consistently commit an extra guy to the box to stop the running game, things get ugly quickly. Iowa/Nebraska and even Northwestern at times were all able to impose their will with the run game against Minnesota.

2. Can the Gophers generate a pass rush without blitzing? It's been the rare season that the front 7 have been able to stop the run, but it's been ever rarer to see the team generate a consistent pass rush. The Gophers are going to miss the Carter/Stoudermire tandem at CB to some degree, but that's significantly negated by an improved pass rush.

3. Can Nelson be something close to special? Obviously a lot to ask of a true Sophomore, but almost any time a team rises up the ranks it's behind a QB that gives his team an advantage over most of their conference at that position. Brad Banks at Iowa, Chase Daniel at Missouri, Todd Reesing at Kansas, etc. An example from last year on a bit of a lower level would be Matt McGloin from Penn State. If the Gophers are going be more than 2-3 win B1G team, Nelson probably needs to be much more than just adequate.

4. Who are the playmakers? For no.3 to happen, the Gophers need a few players to step and show that they can make big plays. The offense needs to be able to get yards in chunks and not have to always grind out first downs. Someone needs to be a threat on the outside, not just in the slot, and one of the backs needs to demonstrate the ability to turn a 5 yard play in to a 15 yarder and a play that should get 15 in to a long touchdown.

5. Can the kicking game be league average? Someone has to step up and be near automatic from inside 40 yards. Someone has to punt the ball without shanking 1-2 each game. It's not necessary to be great in the kicking game, but a bad kicking game can't be overcome unless you have helmet school talent.

I agree with most who have questioned some of the "burning questions" proposed by Marcus.

It doesn't make for great copy, and you could say a few of these every year for the Gophers, but here would be my burning questions:

1. Can they stop the run with the front 7? If you have to consistently commit an extra guy to the box to stop the running game, things get ugly quickly. Iowa/Nebraska and even Northwestern at times were all able to impose their will with the run game against Minnesota.

2. Can the Gophers generate a pass rush without blitzing? It's been the rare season that the front 7 have been able to stop the run, but it's been ever rarer to see the team generate a consistent pass rush. The Gophers are going to miss the Carter/Stoudermire tandem at CB to some degree, but that's significantly negated by an improved pass rush.

3. Can Nelson be something close to special? Obviously a lot to ask of a true Sophomore, but almost any time a team rises up the ranks it's behind a QB that gives his team an advantage over most of their conference at that position. Brad Banks at Iowa, Chase Daniel at Missouri, Todd Reesing at Kansas, etc. An example from last year on a bit of a lower level would be Matt McGloin from Penn State. If the Gophers are going be more than 2-3 win B1G team, Nelson probably needs to be much more than just adequate.

4. Who are the playmakers? For no.3 to happen, the Gophers need a few players to step and show that they can make big plays. The offense needs to be able to get yards in chunks and not have to always grind out first downs. Someone needs to be a threat on the outside, not just in the slot, and one of the backs needs to demonstrate the ability to turn a 5 yard play in to a 15 yarder and a play that should get 15 in to a long touchdown.

5. Can the kicking game be league average? Someone has to step up and be near automatic from inside 40 yards. Someone has to punt the ball without shanking 1-2 each game. It's not necessary to be great in the kicking game, but a bad kicking game can't be overcome unless you have helmet school talent.

That is a good list.

I think special teams are very important - but right now, I don't have a clue who is going to handle any of the key roles: PK, punter, KO Return or Punt Return. If the big freshman is ready, I would not be surprised to see him kicking off and trying longer FG's. Maybe Hawthorne can handle the shorter FG's - but I'm not sold on him.

Punting has to be better. Period. The 30-yard punts in key situations just killed the field position last year.

As far as the return game, they'll miss Stoudemeier on the KO Ret. And Punt Ret has got to give them more than a lot of fair catches.

A big improvement in special teams could mean another 1 or 2 wins this year. If they go backwards, it could mean another loss or 2, and even make the difference on becoming bowl-eligible.

Top Bottom