PiPress: Gophers bump Tracy Claeys $13K a week as acting head coach

BleedGopher

Reaction score

I like that the U did this for him. He's won two big games and this gesture shows how much we appreciate him.

If, and it's a very large if, the Gophers win a couple more games this year, Claeys could become a very hot commodity for a lower level conference head coach. Also, if the offense continues to improve in an imaginative manner, then Limegrover will also begin to become a sought after commodity. Both of these will be well deserved.

In my opinion, the Gophers need to address these two sooner than later, in particular Coach Claeys. The purpose should be to tie them up for another year. This gives Coach Kill the opportunity to keep both coaches in place while he deals with his illness and makes a decision on his ability to continue coaching.

If he can continue coaching, it would give Minnesota time to prepare for Claeys' possible departure. If we would continued to improve next year like this one, Claeys would deserve and almost certainly get a opportunity to move somewhere to run his own program. An opportunity it might make sense for him to take.

If not, if God Forbid, and Coach Kill decides it's time to step down, it would mean that Claeys is still in position to take over for Coach Kill. If, that is, the Gophers were to decided to move in that direction. It's all about retaining the maximum options and leverage.

If, and it's a very large if, the Gophers win a couple more games this year, Claeys could become a very hot commodity for a lower level conference head coach. Also, if the offense continues to improve in an imaginative manner, then Limegrover will also begin to become a sought after commodity. Both of these will be well deserved.

In my opinion, the Gophers need to address these two sooner than later, in particular Coach Claeys. The purpose should be to tie them up for another year. This gives Coach Kill the opportunity to keep both coaches in place while he deals with his illness and makes a decision on his ability to continue coaching.

If he can continue coaching, it would give Minnesota time to prepare for Claeys' possible departure. If we would continued to improve next year like this one, Claeys would deserve and almost certainly get a opportunity to move somewhere to run his own program. An opportunity it might make sense for him to take.

If not, if God Forbid, and Coach Kill decides it's time to step down, it would mean that Claeys is still in position to take over for Coach Kill. If, that is, the Gophers were to decided to move in that direction. It's all about retaining the maximum options and leverage.

I dont think they would leave to be head coach at a lower level. they have been there and had opportunities before. I really think they ride this out as a group. they have been together too long to go jumping out on thier own.

I dont think they would leave to be head coach at a lower level. they have been there and had opportunities before. I really think they ride this out as a group. they have been together too long to go jumping out on thier own.

i think they jump if a good salary and a decent (FBS) job comes along. i dont think that is til year 5 or 6 til we worry though

We are probably the only program in the country that can temporary lose its' head coach and continue to hit on all cylinders. This is a testament to Kill for assembling a terrific staff and taking good care of them. The entire staff is stellar and in particular Claeys who has shown that he is extremely valuable to the program. He gives new meaning to "next man up." I hope Kill keeps him for a long time as DC or perhaps as Assistant HC with a nice raise and with the idea that someday Kill will turn the program over to Claeys.

Top Bottom