PiPress: For some Gophers, their next move could be transferring

You'd think they'd master punting with all the practice.

we can only hope those who know they won't make it with the new sheriff take a walk on their own.....we need a thorough housecleaning, top to bottom

I'm having some plumbing issues in my house. Should I call Tony Dungy since he supposedly knows everything about everything these days? I also need some tax advice. Should I consult Mr. Dungy?

Dungy isn't exactly going out of his way to support the U nor has he ever. I bet I've been to TCF Stadium more than he has.

The guy wins a Super Bowl and all of a sudden he's the answer to everyone's problems...football related or not.

Move on folks....

I hate to say it but I actually agree with you Art. Dungy was a great coach and I'm sure is a great guy. But it's not like Dungy has ever been a big supporter of Gophers football. At least publicly he hasn't.

I would think most players would wait until a new coach was announced (assuming that happens within a week or two of the Iowa game) before they decide anything.

There are only a small number of players that it would really hurt if they transferred.
That would be the starters. Obviously you want everyone to stay for depth, but if they lose 5-10 backups it will not be the end of the world. If a major contributor leaves (or a bunch of guys at the same position....like 2 of the 3 backup QBs), it could be a problem.

Who cares?

I actually think it matters quite a bit. I really believe that guys like Cooper, Tinsley, McKnight, Kirksey, Edwards and even Stoudemire and a few others should be RS So's this season, but we had so little retained depth that these guys were forced into action sooner than they should have been. It's not like it would have mattered with Brew coaching the current team, but I'd rather not push another crop of younger players to the field earlier than we'd want.

It is not that easy, and listening to kids in the midst of a terribel season when they are both po'd and disappointed is silly. Just selling papers.

There are only a small number of players that it would really hurt if they transferred.
That would be the starters. Obviously you want everyone to stay for depth, but if they lose 5-10 backups it will not be the end of the world. If a major contributor leaves (or a bunch of guys at the same position....like 2 of the 3 backup QBs), it could be a problem.

I feel this is wrong. Regardless of the actual talent on the roster the number of transfers needs to be limited to a minimum. You can only bring in so many players at a time (25-28). Would it not hurt to lose a player who is two years into the program with a redshirt year already used? Sure, that player doesn't start or maybe isn't a strong contributor now, but they are your starters (particularly on the lines) over their final two years. Any transfer now results in a hole in the near future of the program.

Umm...Greg Jones ring a bell?

He wasn't a transfer, he was a lost recruit.

He could have switched even if the gophers hadn't switched coaches....Jame Laurinaitis ring a bell?
Also, no doubt in my mind he would have been solid if he was playing for MN, but he wouldn't have been nearly the player he is at MSU if he was playing in a Mason/Brewster/Cosgrove/Lockwood scheme.

I feel this is wrong. Regardless of the actual talent on the roster the number of transfers needs to be limited to a minimum. You can only bring in so many players at a time (25-28). Would it not hurt to lose a player who is two years into the program with a redshirt year already used? Sure, that player doesn't start or maybe isn't a strong contributor now, but they are your starters (particularly on the lines) over their final two years. Any transfer now results in a hole in the near future of the program.

Obviously losing any player hurts depth. But it is not something that could prevent winning games 2-3 years down the road. Losing depth always hurts, but unless you are losing key players, it is not a program crippler, more like a bruise.

Top Bottom