PiPress: For Gophers, mistakes setting up third-and-looooooong

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

At first glance, Minnesota seems to have done well overall on third down this season; their 45 percent conversion rate ranks 37th in the nation. But a deeper look shows how small setbacks have stifled their offense. In Big Ten play, their third-down conversion rate ranks 10th in the conference, 31 percent.

The Gophers have had third-and-long (seven or more yards) on 51 percent of their 75 third down attempts this season. They have converted on 23 percent of their third-and-longs in four games against FBS foes this year. In Big Ten play, it’s worse.

In a 29-26 overtime loss to Penn State on Oct. 1, Minnesota was 0 for 8 on third-and-long. Against Iowa, Minnesota was 1 for 8 (12 percent). Versus the Hawkeyes, Gophers had four different third downs and 15 yards or longer. The reasons: two false starts, a delay of game and a sack.

The most glaring setback against Iowa came on the Gophers’ last-gasp drive. A false start penalty on second-and-10 at Iowa’s 13-yard line turned into second-and-15 with less than a minute left. Three subsequent incomplete passes effectively ended the game.

Offensive coordinator Jay Johnson says there is merit in the butterfly effect. “Now, how much merit,” he said, “I don’t know.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/10/14/for-gophers-mistakes-setting-up-third-and-looooooong/

Go Gophers!!

I'd love to know the stats for how our defense does on 3rd and long.

This new OC is really rockin and rollin! Amazing, the difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom