Pioneer Press: Recalling advice, Gophers’ P.J. Fleck has needed depth at running back

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

When P.J. Fleck left Ohio State as a graduate assistant in 2006, Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel delivered a message to Fleck before the beginner became Northern Illinois’ wide receivers coach.

“He said, ‘P.J., just so you know, if you ever become a head coach, you cannot have enough backs,’ ” Fleck recalled. “It’s true. It’s one of the most violent positions, right? And it’s a long season.”

When Fleck became Gophers head coach in January, he inherited a running back group that makes up one of the few deep positions on Minnesota’s roster. The headliners are juniors Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks, who are also on the short list of most experienced Gophers players.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/04/0...s-p-j-fleck-has-needed-depth-at-running-back/

Go Gophers!!

Everybody in the midwest is familiar with Brooks and Smith. If the theme of the article is you can't have too many running backs maybe the writer could talk about the backups long enough to at least include their names.

We are deep at RB with a finally healthy Brooks, dynamic and shifty Smith, and bruising McCrary. Will Femi-Cole see the field? id like to see Beebe get some short yardage carries - nobody is stopping him in the backfield. Related, if we don't see a rumbling Beebe on a wheel route blowing up a DB I'll be disappointed. One of Johnson's faults.

We are deep at RB with a finally healthy Brooks, dynamic and shifty Smith, and bruising McCrary. Will Femi-Cole see the field? id like to see Beebe get some short yardage carries - nobody is stopping him in the backfield. Related, if we don't see a rumbling Beebe on a wheel route blowing up a DB I'll be disappointed. One of Johnson's faults.

Wow I forgot the North Dakota back transferred. Maybe he just looked good in the spring game. Got caught sleeping there.

Top Bottom