Pioneer Press: New Gophers coach had player with multiple assaults at last job

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chad:

New University of Minnesota football coach P.J. Fleck pledged thorough evaluations of Gopher recruits on Friday.

In September, it was revealed that he allowed a player with multiple sexual assault allegations to join his Western Michigan team last fall. Fleck kicked the player off his Broncos team, but was criticized for being unaware of the multiple allegations against him.

Now he comes to a Gophers team which has 10 suspended players following an EOAA investigation into sexual misconduct.

“I took 100 percent responsibility for that in terms of I allowed that kid on the football team,” Fleck said at his introductory news conference Friday. “I had zero knowledge — zero knowledge — of that information. He was a walk-on that was recruited later. I learned a lot from that — to not have a walk-on that late. It was the one time that I didn’t do enough to make sure that there wasn’t the background that he had.”

In September, Fleck acknowledged it was a “mistake” to allow 18-year-old freshman wide receiver Bryson White on the team despite multiple allegations of sexual assault dating back to when White was 13 years old.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/0...ad-player-with-multiple-assaults-at-last-job/

Go Gophers!!

Nice headline dick heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice headline dick heads.

It's what the "bleeps" do.

FWIW, Thought Fleck handled the question well in the Press Conference.

Just heard an interview with the head of the victims center of Ohio and she feels PJF would have known. I'm assuming that is based on fact.

Uh oh. Fire him Kaler. Put your money where your mouth is.

Any coach here will have a tough time with the media. Much, much easier in Madison, Iowa City, Columbus, and Lincoln, etc etc.

It will be interesting to see how the interplay between Fleck and the media unfolds and what Fleck does with it.

Just heard an interview with the head of the victims center of Ohio and she feels PJF would have known. I'm assuming that is based on fact.

Hopefully there's a protest scheduled next week to fire PJ Fleck. I'd hate for the protesters to let this slip by.

I'm happy that the Pioneer Press printed the article, as it shows what a hypocrite Coyle is.

Hopefully there's a protest scheduled next week to fire PJ Fleck. I'd hate for the protesters to let this slip by.

I'm happy that the Pioneer Press printed the article, as it shows what a hypocrite Coyle is.

I will never understand why MC had to introduce all the BS into his reasoning. All he had to say was he wanted to change directions. He is spineless tho and felt the need to feed the vultures, I guess.

PJF would have known.

That is why caving into those lunatics was a tough move. You start looking hypocritical and you put yourself under the microscope.

Coyle should have said LESS at the press conference. Now, the public, the same ones with the pitchforks, are going to be expecting absolute perfection from our next coach (impossible when leading 18-21 yr olds), high recruiting rankings, great academics and not losing 2nd half leads.

I will never understand why MC had to introduce all the BS into his reasoning. All he had to say was he wanted to change directions. He is spineless tho and felt the need to feed the vultures, I guess.

Yep.

Nail on the head!

The reporter asking about this in the presser came off a a total dick. From here forward, If I am Fleck, he does not exist.

I'd put several others in the same boat right up front. Act like and anchor to the program, or create a problem where there is one, suffer the consequences.

This is probably what Mike Max was referring to last night when he said something negative was out there.

The reporter asking about this in the presser came off a a total dick. From here forward, If I am Fleck, he does not exist.

I'd put several others in the same boat right up front. Act like and anchor to the program, or create a problem where there is one, suffer the consequences.

You think that only giving interviews and acknowledging reporters who print the narrative Fleck wants is the way to go in Minneapolis? Yeah, that wouldn't backfire.

If I'm not mistaken, it was a gent from the Minnesota Daily.

You think that only giving interviews and acknowledging reporters who print the narrative Fleck wants is the way to go in Minneapolis? Yeah, that wouldn't backfire.

Likely correct. But I'd find a way to "back burner" them if possible....

Haters are gonna hate. Simple as that.

I'm not sure what the insinuation is. That Fleck willingly recruited this guy knowing his background? No way.

So he's three years into his gig. The program is on the rise, and he's going to take a huge character chance on a walk-on?

He probably needed a better process to vet, which is what he addressed.

Seems like he addressed the question already. IF what he said is true, he looks all the better for it.

I'm with you. Time to cut bait with these crappy beat writers from day 1. If they just want to focus on the negative, don't give them the time of day. Wish we could have the greater support from our local writers. Maybe it's time for Fleck to sit them down for breakfast and have them eat a difficult conversation...

Spot on. That is why Kill, Claeys and the players are pissed. It is going to take a while to mend those fences. Coyle and Kaler should go to help bring harmony between the administration and the fb team.

I'm with you. Time to cut bait with these crappy beat writers from day 1. If they just want to focus on the negative, don't give them the time of day. Wish we could have the greater support from our local writers. Maybe it's time for Fleck to sit them down for breakfast and have them eat a difficult conversation...

Trim the fat!

Spot on. That is why Kill, Claeys and the players are pissed. It is going to take a while to mend those fences. Coyle and Kaler should go to help bring harmony between the administration and the fb team.

Yep. To bring harmony, the BOR needs to drop kick Kaler and Coyle out the door.

Top Bottom