Pioneer Press: Lean 2018 Minnesota recruiting class will force Gophers out wide

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

The past two years, the Gophers’ coaching staff has relied on local recruits. When including Antoine Winfield Jr. and Seth Green, who each moved from Minnesota to Texas during high school, the Gophers had 10 local products in the 2016 class. That group was headlined by Eden Prairie linebacker Carter Coughlin, ranked the 273rd-best player in the nation by ESPN.

There are five in-state recruits in this year’s haul, three from the East Metro: Woodbury tight end Nathan Bursch, and running back Dominik London and kicker Grant Ryerse of East Ridge.

Next year’s Minnesota class projects thin. The only players to register Gophers interest thus far are Marshall quarterback Trey Lance and St. Cloud Tech tight end Brevyn Spann-Ford, according to scout.com.

“This will be my seventh year covering the Midwest as an analyst, and 2018 is the weakest in-state group I’ve seen from the state of Minnesota,” said Josh Helmboldt of rivals.com. “Honestly, there is a question whether there is a Minnesota-caliber player in the state. I assume that there will be one, if not a couple, but we have not identified them yet.”

Helmboldt said that shallow pool could limit the depth of Fleck’s class.

“He’s got some challenges because Minnesota has always been one to protect their backyard,” Helmboldt said. “For the most part, the guys they want, they keep in the backyard. Without those, it’s going to be very difficult to pull off a strong class in 2018.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/02/0...recruiting-class-will-force-gophers-out-wide/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom